GreaseSpot Cafe

Candle Making as a Hobby or Small Business

act2

Hey, All. I am thinking of getting into the candle-making business. Have any of you tried it? Are you doing it now? What can you tell me about your experiences?

I went to the library and checked out two books. One book was written in the 60's, the other in the 70's. I just BET that candle making has come a long way since then!!!!!

Thanks in advance for any information that you wonderful GS'ers provide!!

Hi act2... :)

I have numerous small businesses going right now. And, I have about 50 pounds of candle wax in the basement to do beach candles...unfortunately I am so busy doing my other crafts, it has taken a back burner.

I find that a local "gimmick" helps in sales...so, I would suggest to you to find what's popular in your area and capitalize on that.

Crafts doesn't pay, unless you send things over to China and have them manufacture your ideas for you...(which I think is disgusting, yet doable)....I would also send samples to "candle" people...make little packets up to massage therapists, home decorators, caterers and the like.

Good luck!!!

Wacky O'

Great suggestions. Somehow I thought you might have done candles before. You are a very crafty person.

I took up knitting about a year ago, and have been a knitting fool.

If I may ask, where do you purchase your supplies???

Thanks for the tips. Anything else you think of, please post it.

My 10 year old daughter and her 10 year old friend have discovered this stuff! I couldn't be happier. Kelly has been learning to sew and is making purses for an uncoming craft show and her friend is knitting and making scarves for same show. They get together on weekends and hang out and do their thing together.

What joy to see kids picking up these activities. I'll sell the farm to keep em in these kinds of supplies.

:D

Edited by Shellon Fockler-North

Shell, you are so right. Has your daughter and her friend seen the latest in purses? The ones made out of old jeans? They are so cool. Ebay has a ton of them for sale.

And knitting is so much fun. In fact, the shawl that I have on in the pix that I posted of the antique show and gala is one that I made. It is so warm that I had to take it off during the gala a time or two.

Do you have a Big Lots store where you live? Every now and then, they have yarn. I have bought several skeins of yarn there. Also, the Target here right now (in the front of the store) has pink, mulitcolored pink, yellow, etc, brown, and more yarn, for $1.00 per skein. It takes about 2 to make a scarf. And they have the short eyelash yarn, but that is a real pain to knit.

Thanks for telling me about your daughter and her friend. It put a smile on my face.

As a woman who has had the priviledge of owning and operating her own business, I have the following personal advice. First of all, I chose the 'printing business'. I started it from a building behind my home. It grew from there. I had many clients who were in-home crafters and soap makers, quilters, scrapbookers, and even candlemakers. I found the following to be true in each of their own success stories that they would share with me. One woman had an original idea that really took off due to its uniqueness. She designed and sold custom wrappers for candies, to announce births, weddings and other things. She was able to quit her daytime job (and her income was 50,000). She grew her business fast and was able to be a 'stay at home mom' making more than twice her yrly salary.

Its not always that way for everyone. I think the following is true of any successful business.

Whatsoever you do, do heartily unto the Lord.

Have a passion and love for your craft and believe in yourself AND in the product you are creating.

If 'candle making' is already quite popular, try to find something unique about it that isn't being done, and should be. (Scented candles are a big hit). One of my clients created scented soaps (natural - chemical free products).

Check out the competition -- see what others are doing., and how you can do it better!

Marketing is a HUGE Key to any successful business. Once you've gotten your craft perfected, and are ready to 'sell' to the public. Do a trial run, take your product to Craft Shows, Trade Shows, Flea Markets. Rent a booth, anywhere possible, and price your items according to the 'competition'. Not always pricing things 'cheaper' cause in today's world people who sell 'cheap' often get a buyer to think its NOT a quality product if its too cheap..

There are various advertising options: A small community newspaper, craft newsletter, etc.

Since you are already into Crafts, Hobbies, etc. You probably already see the magazines and the opportunities from the mags, as to up and coming craft fairs, and local places to market your goods.

One of my customers rented a building and called up other local crafters and they got together and rented the building and she sold space for Crafters and organized her own weekend Bazaar. It was quite successful and the local media did a wonderful article about her, and her business really took off that way.

Since I've had my company - probably the FASTEST way now to market and sell is to design and create a WEB PAGE, from that you want to buy into a way to get your business name to 'google' at the top of the list, when someone does a 'search'. I can't think of the company that does this off hand, but I can do some research on it. Perhaps Raf would know how to get your web page to come up as a top search.

You would need to develop a payment system on your web page so people can pay before you ship.

Ebay is a GREAT place to get started in selling your goods. Use paypal, and then you sell enough product ebay gives you a STORE, and boom you are doing GREAT!!

Team up with other crafters, and get a percentage of their sales for hosting their products on your ebay store. 20% is quite fair., plus the cost of ad.

Packaging, along with a 'distinguished business name' and a crafty design, also help sell your product.

My business name was "The Arlington Printery", cause it was in Arlington WA. My motto was "Need a deadline met? Call Jet". That was catchy, and clever, but it cost me some long hours to meet people's deadlines. :D

Some of my clients would come to me for design help and printing. The products with labels that were colorful always sold better. Your packaging shows quality, your product must be too.. (In people's mind). IMAGE IS EVERYTHING, they still say.

I worked with many crafters who took their products straight to the stores, too. One woman got her start with soaps by simply going to the local hardware store, which was owned by other small business people. Small business people have a network, and often a club, you could get with them, and network.

These are a few suggestions, I hope it helps, and then again you might already know this stuff since you said you have several small businesses. I just thought I'd put my two cents in just in case.

I have a son who is 13 now and since he was 5 He's been crafting. His business name is "Funny Frog Products". Where we live there isn't a 4H Club, but if you have Entrepenuer Children, the 4H club is a GREAT way to get them interested in learning the ins and outs of operating their own Companies.

Hope this helps in some way.

Whatever you do, just Love it, and be Proud of it!

All entrepenuers have to learn to be Great Sales People, and in Selling Success -- you have to know that the Customer Is Always Right.... Great quality customer service.

One book that has helped me in my business was "Life is Tremendous" by Charlie Jones.

I was first introduced to the book in TWI, but its NOT a TWI book. Sold at the local book store.

Blessings and Best Wishes for Success!

If you get a web page going or are on ebay, please email me the link? I'm not too crafty and I love buying hand made gifts for others....... jbossard@sbcglobal.net

Edited by jetc57

I've been involved with our local farmers market for several years now and it seems the crafty folks who stick around have more than one type of product to offer. We have had several folks come through selling soaps, lotions and candles. I think the most successful person marketed online as evidenced by her opening up a bonafide storefront.

Edited by Wonton Soup

I don't have any small business experience, but I know things that have appealed to me. The idea that someone mentioned about leasing a large space and the renting smallers spaces to other crafters is a great one. There used to be a place like that in my area, but they moved out of the area. I loved that place and did lots of shopping there because of the great variety and the quality and uniqueness.

One thing you can't import from another country is community and a place for people to shop, learn and socialize. I am not a knitter, so I have never been to the shop but have heard the commercials for a place called the Yarn Cafe. It sounds like they sell yarn, teach people to knit and do other things with yarn and promote a yarn/craft type of community. They have people who come there for the community and learn to knit and buy there products and services because of the sense of community. They seem to create customers.

Good luck.

Online Marketing is the Crafters New Mall, and an awesome way to sell, especially if a person is shy about going out in public and doing any kind of Marketing. Its that way for Publishers too.

I think a lot also depends on 'where a person lives' and whats going on.

A good source of information is to see what the local Chamber of Commerce is doing to help small business people market their wares. Often times they sell space at their various town functions.

I live in Independence MO and every year they have this big event downtown called "SantaCalagon", and that's where we go to see what's happening in the Craft world and we go there to buy unique, one of kind items. I love seeing all the talented crafters, visiting with them. I even go on purpose to Network and pick up some Label Business as I now work from home.

Getting with other folks is great, you can bounce ideas off one another. There are chat rooms for this as well. I can' t think of one at this moment, but when I find one I'll make another post.

Sometimes what works for one person doesn't always work for another, if things are different in the place you live, but with the World Wide Web, your Marketing Audience is just that, WORLD WIDE.

Ebay is a great way to Start.....

I am not a knitter....I am a spinner, and after you've tried some luscious handspun yarns, you'll never go back, however, they're pricey as each skein is individually made.

I have a skein right now for $140!!! and it will sell before any of my cheaper skeins because of it's uniqueness, softness and beauty!!! It's 200 yards and will make a hefty scarf...I bought it to a yarn store to show a friend of mine and she was literally salivating over it!!!

I'm too busy dyeing and spinning right now to knit. I do do a little weaving, in fact, did about 5- 4" squares already this morning. By the time I finish crocheting these squares up for a large scarf/shawl, it will cost someone about $250!!! and I'm sure I'll get it.

I never sacrifice quality for quantity and my yarns are high end, impossible to find. I never go into the chains to buy wool. I wouldn't spend my precious time weaving/knitting/crocheting with crap...why not use the very best and unique?

Yes, I have made candles. Beach candles...and for years I did it the old fashion way hand dipping them...rainbow colors and all. People LOVE those, but, again, they are time consuming, however, you can market them as each candle is individually dipped like in the olden days.

I guess I'm a purist of sorts, so, will never be rich. I think I try to preserve history, in some ways.

btw- that $140 skein of yarn took me 2 days to make by the time I scoured the fleece, dyed it, spun it and plyed it thrice. I used kid mohair locks (6 month old baby goat.) It took me a long time to find people with baby goats...they're rare, as they are only 6 months for so long!!! and the coat is so soft people hardly want to give them up. I was lucky tho. I purchased 2 and have found 3 more!!! It is way softer than cashmere and curls a tad when spun.

I made a second little leftover skein and plyed it with metallic thread for another fantastic effect!

Anyways...I think not only should you have a passion about your product, but....DO YOU HAVE A PRODUCT? Is this just a thought? of have you made something already that is marketable to an audience.

My audience aren't rich. They DO know quality, tho.

I will eat rice and beans for weeks, to save up for something that I really really want that is really really unique. That's just me, but, there are people like that!!!..they are my market!

What kind of candles do you make? Are people candled out already? There are candles everywhere...what makes yours unique?

I hope this helps a little.

Wacky O'

Oh my goodness. So many great ideas, suggestions, tips. Thank you all so much. I knew I could count on the GS'ers for their input. Thank you again!!!

I have never made candles, but I love candles. Plus, at the antique show that Chatty and I were at last weekend, the vendor next to us had several people asking about his candles. (Each year, he had a variety of scented candles for sale. This year, however, the lady who made them is moving to MI and he did not have any to sell.) So I thought that I might be able to take over where the lady left off. I plan on contacting Scott next week and asking a few questions.

Plus, my hubby knows a guy in OH who makes candles, mostly for fundraisers. He does it on the side and makes good money for his time, or so he says.

Wacky, I am afraid to look at NICE yarn!!! I do appreciate quality, but I give alot of my scarves away. There are a couple of high-end stores in Evansville, which I have been to the one, and may visit the other one if I go talk to Scott, since they are located on the same block.

I am still trying to decide what to do with some of my spare time. With winter coming on, I won't have to spend as much time working on our big lawn.

Please keep the ideas coming. Who knows, they may inspire more than JUST ME!!!!!!!!!!

Golly...

Why don't you see if YOU LIKE CANDLEMAKING before you try it!!! Things aren't always as easy as they seem. Those pots can get heavy...can your arms take it?

I suggest you try it....you may not like it. You may, but, you may not.

Sounds like you like gardening...have you tried dried flower arrangements? carving gourds? making natural dyes?

Extra money? roflmao. I don't know anyone who makes "extra" money selling crafts...even the good ones...we just about break even, and as far as time goes? I'm lucky if I'm making $2/hr at best!!!!

Really, act2....go to a craft supply store...buy the candle wax, dye, scents and wicks and try it out....!!!!!!

Wacky O'

Wacky, buying a small supply and trying my hand at it is what I am going to do. Thanks for that suggestion.

I will also call Scott, Jet. He isnt open on Monday so I will call tomorrow.

No, I am not into gardening, just that I have a big lawn. Mowing, weed eating, sweeping off the grass clippings, and watering takes alot of my time in the summer.

Again, thanks for all the ideas.

Will let you all know what transpires.

In this area soy candles are pretty popular - I think it's because there's no animal products (oils or whatever) that go into them. They also feel super silky to the touch and supposedly burn longer and cleaner. The trade off is that I would assume that the supplies are more expensive. Anyhow, I simply LOVE the way they feel. Soy soaps and hand butters are also popular.

When you get ready for your web page - let me know. Im pretty much a stay-at-home mom now and have a small graphic design business going. I can link you so that it's an ecommerce site, in a pretty simple fashion. My business is growing all the time and I have great rates. (I also have wonderful references). I've kicked off my own eBay business and it's going well - pays the oil bill, at least (and a couple of happy meals during the month...)

Best wishes to you in your new business!

hi you all..I have a home based business that is very rewarding. I work as a loan officer for a Mortgage broker. I can do business in any state of the union. I have read your hints and found them to be very supportive. If any one is in this type of home biz can you send me a pm for more discussions. I would like to learn more.

Welcome to Catoctin Mortgage, LLC

Whatever your residential financing needs, we will tailor a loan that's right for you:

Purchase

Refinance

Home Equity Loans

Construction

Home Improvement

Investment Properties

Debt Consolidation Loans

Stated Income Loans

Damaged Credit Loans

When it comes time to purchase, refinance or consolidate unwanted debt, you can count on Catoctin Mortgage, LLC to secure for you the best discount home loan for your situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Catoctin Mortgage, LLC

Phone: 571-235-2062 | Fax: 1-703-995-4362

Address: 208 South King St. Suite 301E | Leesburg | VA | 20175

Email: carole.laporte@gmail.com

post-548-1130883142_thumb.jpg

Act2

I agree with Wacky and Jet--call Scott, but TRY MAKING some candles first!!! I tried soap making--it wasn't as fun as it looked, and I didn't get results i was expecting. My boys loved it, but it sure isn't something i would try to do either for gift making or to try to sell. I will try my hand at it again-- just for me-- I do like the natural products you can get. It will only be a hobby for me though!!

Wacky--where do you sell your yarns-- ebay? local shows? I am not a knitter, but I do believe there are people out there that would love your yarns!!! I've always wanted to try spinning--but that would be an expensive "try" to buy all the stuff and then not pursue it further.

Weaving--at least I could build a frame--and want to try that on a larger scale. I always loved the sily ole pot holders you make on those little metal (er plastic nowadays) frames, so I bought a larger weaving project at the craft store. (small frame, prepackaged embroidery thread) The first project came out pretty, but wide on one end, skinny and tight weaved on the other. Hmm, a few things to learn! LOL. I've only succeeded in doilies and little runners for my own home--and really need some instruction to do better! Wher did ya learn?

I am thinking about starting my own business, too--and know perfectly well I won't make much at it!! LOL! I love to sew, and do a decent job at it (Although there is ALWAYS room for improvement). I have a fairly unique product in pet supplies. I have tried it, as Wacky suggested-- I timed myself, too, and as she pointed out, I will only make about $2 an hour! LOL!!! But I love doing, it, and having checked out the internet, ahve found I have something different than everybody else. I have made some for my friends pets, they are being my product testers, and giving feedback--I've already seen a need to change something. When I get it right, I'll be posting my own thread asking a lot of questions!! LOL! (like, if I can get a pet groomer to carry my stuff in her store, how much does she get of my already meager "profit" ? LOL!)

Back in the seventies I worked for a candlemaker who owned a little shop. Even ran a booth at our State Fair one year making candles. Its an easily learned process, as any boo boos can be melted again. I think the shop owner bought directly from a petroleum company. The better the grade of wax, the higher the melting point. Start out with white wax and learn how it hardens. Once you can produce a good candle, you can start to learn about dyes. Scents are pretty straightforward, but necessary because everyone always smells it when looking at it.

If you try your hand at it and run into a snag, let me know.

Jerry Elger

I was given a candlemaking kit while growing up in the early 70s.

It comprised of wax, crayons, and two round tin molds for the

iconic "happy face" :) design and the peace sign.

As I recall, I needed a double boiler to melt the white wax, and to

mix in the crayons for color.

I didn't put them together right - they fell apart (lol).

Wish I still had that kit around.

Danny

I guess I'm a purist at heart. I would hand dip the candles in rainbow colors and market them that way-it yields a higher price, and is a good teaching tool as to how the early settlers did it.

Today I am opening a show with 4 other women at the local Art Center - "Textured Texiles". Our open house is Saturday evening...I will bring my spinning wheel, and do alot of teaching and explaining of the art.

So, psalmy, I will sell a few things there (altho the center takes 40% which is absolutely ridiculous!!!- makes that $2/hr- $1.60 then minus taxes...hmmmmm, $1.20)...but I also do a few little craft fairs. I always bring my wheel and demonstrate, so people understand the high prices of handspun.

I have recently learned that "wool" yarn that is manufactured has lost most of it's wool via the processing in factories. They don't care for the product and it is run thru so many machines and dyed to a pulp!!!

Once you have tried handspun, you'll never go back. Each skein is individually cared for...and I use natural dyes (marigolds and such from my garden, cranberries from the bogs, etc.)

I am thinking of trying to sell a "batt" for spinners on ebay dyed all in cranberries, see how it goes....but, I don't sell on ebay. I don't like ebay, much...and handspun needs to be fondled to be bought!!!

I have a craft fair this Saturday at a local farm. 2 weeks ago I sold $300 worth at our local Cranberry Harvest Festival..I'll do one more around Christmastime.

I have a website, but it's hard and time consuming to put every skein on, so I don't really sell thru that.

Last summer I was at a local fair, and a woman from Austin, TX bought a shawl for $250 from me on the street!!! She emailed her sister in Colorado, who ordered 3 skeins of cashgora cranberry yarn for $160 and then some alpaca and angora for another $85- her sister then ordered one skein at $60...and in no time, got me a pretty hefty sum from these 2 gals from on the street!!!

You never know where they'll come from!!!

Right now I am spinning kid mohair locks (from a 6 month old goat). I have to scour the country to find these goats as they are only 6 months once!!!! The product is softer than cashmere or down...there's nothing like it in stores, where wool is hardly wool anymore.

Psalmy...find your local spinners guild and hook up with them. Go to a meeting and see if someone will let you try your hand at spinning. It is very difficult at first, but, like riding a bike, once you get it...you've gotten it.

Then, as you progress and get bored with the regular spinning there are soooo many variations, and things to do...it's absolutely fulfilling.

I spin close to 50 hours/wk. I have alot of extra time in the winter. It's like a deep meditation...very stress reducing...In fact, I'm looking to buy a second wheel...why? So I don't have to keep changing parts to make thicker designer yarns...

I love soap making. I use beef fat...again, tho, the pots get sooo heavy that it's hardly worth it for me. What kind did you make, Psalmy?

When I do my rainbow candles I use cleaned up big tomato juice cans...one for each color....in double boilers...then put them on the table and walk the wicks around dipping into the colors....

I'm too into spinning designer yarns right now tho, and the only other craft I have going at the time is gourds. I just finished 3 birdfeeders and 2 baskets for the farm fair this weekend. Gourds is a whole nother fantastic craft....!!!! it's endless....

I have a friend who is a famous sewer...she gets plenty of jobs teaching, but again, selling is a problem to get your time back in $cash. She barters alot for chiropractic/massage work to fix her damaged body.

Good luck act2!!! I hope this all helps.

Psalmy...if you have nimble hands- go for it...get a wheel...I have an Ashford from NZ, and am looking into a "rose" by majacraft.

My buddy and lodge brother, Charles, has a successful soap making business.

http://www.poisonivysoap.com

Since I make some deer tallow candles every year for the inevitable power outages we have every winter, I've been thinking of trying to make some citronella candles and trying to sell them with his assistance. I imagine I can get beeswax reasonably from some friends who have hives and put honey up to sell.

I also have access to buying a small herd of Angora goats. Since I'm looking to buy some goats, anyway, for other purposes, I could get the angoras if I had a market for the wool. I'd probably sell it at a very modest price, since I mostly want the goats for milk to fatten hogs and keep stuff eaten down.

Just a thought.

AS to candles, Can ANYONE tell me if there is a Candle one can use INDOORS that will get RID of Pesky Nats, or Fruit Flies? They can be annoying and even in the Colder weather.

All the Citronels candles say they are for outdoor use only -- I would pay a KINGS RANSOM for a candle that would KILL those buggers indoors.

:D

Ron....I will buy the whole herd of fleece from your 6 month old angora goats.

SOLD already!!!! Just tell me when and where to send the check. I will also buy the fleece from the second spring cut....

...from the whole herdle of them!!! :)

(No joke...I have 3 fleeces on their way down from Maine as we speak. I just bought one on ebay...and I just spun up 2 last month....)

Thanks, Wacky O'

Wacky, I had a really long post almost finished to reply to you and I lost the whole thing! DARN!! I'll be back tomorrow, this is too discouraging to re type right now!! :angry:

But you have stirred up my interest in all this spinning, weaving, felt work, etc, and I have spent most of my recent time online reading about all of it! TOO COOL!

Ron, I laughed at the name in you link--"poison Ivy soap" haha-- I figured it was going to be a joke site. But I read his site-- what a neat idea-- origional!

Act2--that's the main thing, I think-- come up with something others don't have!!!

Wacky, I had a really long post almost finished to reply to you and I lost the whole thing!

LOL And your thinking about spinning & weaving? :blink: :unsure:

Hey Psalmie don't you have enough to do taking care of that herd of swine of yours. I'm not catching anymore of your piggies and returning them. And last time I flew by looked like someone had some Kudzu to attend to.........

Edited by WhiteDove