GreaseSpot Cafe

private topics

HAPe4me

The private topics in your "My Space" section are a great tool, and I have enjoyed them. However I couldn't figure out how to delete older ones that were no longer active. In chat i asked the question, and a wise person there found the answer. Several of us were happy to get an answer so I thought maybe a thread to bring up the subject would be an idea.

You can delete Private Topics which YOU have started. Open the topic, then click on Tools at the top of the page. There you will find the delete button.

I am told that this deletes the topic from your box and from the other participant's boxes. The only way to delete topic from your list which another has started is for them to delete it. At least that is what it looks like as I sift thru them.

Correct me if I am wrong.

~HAPe4me

A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle.

Hap,

I go in on a regular basis and delete topics that have been inactive for about 4 months. I am a little behind on it right now, because my last two prunings happened the days before access to the forums got screwed up. I will continue after the upgrade is done.

quote:
(from steve) But this thread belongs in the "Computer etc" forum, or one of the other forums.

uh, ok I will take your word for it, you or Paw are free to move it. Does that mean your Scam Alert thread belongs somewhere else too? and the Virus alert? How about chat threads? Just asking

I do NOW se the "Forum Tips" page down at the bottom, maybe move it to there. But it hasn't been posted to since Dec 27th, so it not real active. It seemed to me that enough people who regularly occupy GS had no idea how to do it (4 out of the 6 in chat at the time as a small sampling) that it would fit here fine. Lots of us rarely go to the Computer Tips place unless we are having a computer problem. Since Private topics are a GS issue not a computer issue. it seemed logical to me. I never saw the other forum until now. EXCUUUUUSE ME!- move it.

Paw- thanks for the info. I figured if some of us deleted our own once we knew how, it makes less for you to do, and occupies less space on the server or whatever that thingy is called. You da man! (hehe, I didn't even start using PTs until a month ago, but knew I had a couple that were just occupying space.

~HAPe4me

A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle.

Okay, I'm busted.

I put my "Scam Alert" in the Open forum for the same reason that Paw put his "Virus Alert" here - which is the same reason you put yours here.

Although yours really does fit more in the Forum Tips forum, I can see why you chose to put it here.

And I can't move any threads, I'm not a moderator.