GreaseSpot Cafe

Clem Robbins

doojable

hey does anyone out there know the whereabouts of Clem Robbins. I know he ended up in Idaho for a while but he was from Mass. - Just wanting to say hi to him

Edited by doojable

Assuming you mean Clem Robins (the comic-book letterer), he's been in the Cincinnati area for years. Zabasearch has listings for him (I think the most recent is at the top):

http://www.zabasearch.com/

(Type in his name. You can leave the state as the default "All States.")

You might also try to get in touch with him at DC Comics.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

Two things - there are two Clem Robins in Cincinnati - one has middle initial "J" and the other "I" does anyone out there know which one was in the corps? -

Also can I assume that Clem is no longer with TWI?

Thanks all!

Edited by doojable

Two things - there are two Clem Robins in Cincinnati - one has middle initial "J" and the other "I" does anyone out there know which one was in the corps? -

Thanks all!

Clem is IN

My guess is that they're the same person; one listing is probably a misprint.

Also, I don't think the Clem Robins I knew was Corps. He was working a "real" job when the Corps was on salary. Of course, he could have been a "Corps Grad."

It's never a good idea to make assumptions. I honestly don't know, though. I haven't spoken with him in years.

Thanks all!

You're welcome!

George

• 1 month later...

I cannot even imagine Clem Robbins staying "In". I was in the Tenth Corps with Clem. He was very "avante garde" as an artist, and had a healthy habit of questioning everything, and was definitely one of a kind. Instead of a brief case and sharp clothing, he carried a "knapsack" kind of a deal, and he dressed a bit "slovenly" Kind of like a "disinterested genius". A very smart guy. And so, I'd be really surprised if he was still In. But, stranger things have happened I guess. I remember him showing me his portfolio of artwork that he'd done for Marvel Comix, and I was very impressed. On our interim year, he was up in Minneapolis I think. I was in Fargo, and remember seeing him down there in 1980/81 for a big Takit concert, as well as at a Corps get together with LCM...

Clem Robbins...

He was as Jonny Lingo mentioned... a little 'off the wall'... artist type. Ya, he was someone you never forgot if you met him. Full of energy and passionate about his work.

I remember talking to him at HQ... in 1990... he was at that time doing some contract work for Disney.

He would tell me often... "If I had to draw a picture of Jesus... I'd ask your husband if I could draw him." I always thought that was coolest compliment ever! (of course this would be the Western worlds idea of what Jesus looked like).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm actually a friend of Clem's. As a young artist, he was my hero when I was growing up in the Way. I lived in Van Wert, and he had a studio in St. Mary's at the time. I used to visit his studio. I wanted to be a comic book artist so I picked his brain every chance I could. He's a great guy.

We occasionally still e-mail, but I don't know if he know's I'm no longer in. I never brought it up. As far as I know he's still involved.

Clem's awesome.

Oh, by the way, you can find Clem's work in many comics. My favorite is "100 Bullets" by DC/Vertigo. That book is so awesome. Clem has his own comic lettering business and he letters for many Vertigo books and occasionally some by Dark Horse.

He also teaches art at a college and wrote an amazing life drawing book called "The Art of Figure Drawing." You can find it in Borders or on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/158180204...5Fencoding=UTF8

I took an awesome figure drawing class with Clem back in the late '70's. I t was called "artistic Anatomy" by Robert beverly Hale. In fact I heard that B*rb*ra F*ir B#tl*er also had taken that class a few years before me.

Clem also got me some freelance work with DC comics back then. It was a bit frustrating but it was fun - I wasn't as into it as Clem was. Nato, Pm me and i'll give yu some info to give to Clem in case he's interested in contacting me. Since he's still in he might not be open to hearing form anyone. we were friends once - did he ever marry?

The last time I spoke with Clem (admittedly a long time ago), he was married. (I think his wife's name is Laurie?) Interestingly, he was almost embarrassed about the Vertigo stuff he did for DC. He even removed his name from the credits of at least one issue because the language was so foul. I still see his work occasionally in "mainstream" DC titles.

George

Actually, he likes a lot of the Vertigo stuff he works on. Vertigo is a mature line, meant for readers 18 and older. It's rated-r stuff mostly, like Sopranos on HBO or something like that. The writing on most books is excellent. The only reason I'd think he be embarrased is maybe describing the books to most Wayfers, as religous as they can be. But every time I talked to him, he was happy about his work. But yeah, having to describe the book "Preacher" to the average Wayer would probablly lend to some awkward moments. It would be considered blasphemous to most Chrisitians, but the writing was top-notch.

Seriously though, pick up an issue or trade paperback of 100 Bullets. Better to start at the beginning. It's a conspiracy theory of epic proportions.

Don't get me wrong. A letterer doesn't write the stuff, though he doesn't have to accept every assignment, either. The last time I spoke with Clem about this was at a WIB at least 10 years ago. The teachings in the Fine Arts group were about godliness in art. I told Clem I felt bad about even READING Vertigo stuff, and he told me that he was very conflicted about lettering them. If that has changed, then I would guess that he's not still "in," because he'd be browbeaten about it regularly if he were.

The next time you e-mail him, tell him I say Hi. I think he'll remember me.

George

Unless he's gotten out in the last 4 months, he's still involved. He asked me if I was going to be at the most recent AC Special.

I didn't get the feeling that anyone was really getting on him about the work he was doing. He talked very openly about his work with me. Of course, your average person has little idea or interest in what a letterer does. Most assumed he just drew the things. I don't think he discussed it much other than friends. He worked on Preacher, about as "off the Word" as something can get. He actually told me I should read it while we were smoking during a break at some WIB or AC Special in Dallas. He actually lent some biblical knowledge to the writer for one their crazier story ideas.

Clem's never been one though to shun the world outside the Way. I know he has lots of friends all over the country that couldn't care less about all this stuff.