GreaseSpot Cafe

jonny lingo has bragging rights!

coolchef1248 @adelphia.net

Would everyone please turn north to alaska and raise thier glass to jonny :beer:

Jonny sent me some smoked coho,i recieved it today.

i thought i have had good smoked salmon befor but this is just out of this world! toast to jonny!

Jonny thanks i am not kidding that is the best i have ever had! thanks so much

you have lobster comming this summer

thanks again

Merry Christmas!

by the way i have a good friend who shares your last name :beer:

Edited by coolchef1248 @adelphia.net

:jump:

Chef, I'm sooooo glad you got that salmon! I was afraid he might accidentally send it to me since you were so hard to track down. ;) LOL! Just kidding!

Here's a salute to our Jonny Lingo, his awesome salmon and generous heart! I'm sure he'll be bragging on your lobster this summer.

:drink:

:wave:

I'm not going to be so kind to Mr. Jonny Lingo, Coolchef.

You see.. I know that in your line of work you know good salmon from average or mediocre salmon so I know what is at stake. The best smoked salmon that Alaska (is Nova Scotia getting nervous?) has to offer. Therefore I have to let you know that I have pictures of Jonny Lingo... COMPROMISING pictures, I might add. And unless Mr. Jonny Lingo sends ME some of that salmon, then I'll have no choice but to post said pictures. And may I add that said pictures are of Mr. Jonny Lingo and un-consenting polar bears. 'Nuff said -_- .

sudo

Belle:Aww shucks... :redface: I mean, it wuddn't that big a deal..And thanks CChef for the compliments, for I am sure you know a few things about cullinary delights, and so I really appreciate the compliment!

Annd Sudo....NNnoooooo! Don't tell! It was only a one time thing! And, I was only trying to do one of the three things that makes a person a "real Alaskan"! But I got mixed up, killed the Eskimo Woman and made lovooovvve to the polar bear! But it was an accident...I swear it!!

Edited by Jonny Lingo

I caught 'em, filleted 'em, brined 'em, and smoked 'em. I also have a bunch more flash frozen that I bought of off the F/V Alaskan Assassin, owned by a friend of mine. FV= fishing vessel. I am guessing that you know that CChef. I bought 85 pounds of it in the round (fresh off theboat, heads and guts still intact-cheapest way to buy) for .90 cents a pound, or around $77.00. Oh yeah, I just did the math: $76.50 When you buy them "headed and gutted", then this year it was around $1.35 a pound. Still way better than the grocery store.

After I brined them in my own "secret solution" ( no big secret) of salt, brown sugar, soy sauce, some Spike (you know that seasoning)? for about five hours, I de-brined them by running the fillets under cold water, patted them dry, and then put them on the smoking racks to dry. The drying part is essential, because, there needs to be this "tacky-ness" to the meat which is known as the "pellicle". This takes about an hour, and when the pellicle forms like a thin film, then the time is right to put the smoke on it. That thin layer is important because it keeps the moisture inside the meat as it cures. When I put the smoke on it, I used store bought alder chips. I felt kinda bad about using the store bought alder, because usually, were I still in my beautiful (and oh so missed!) home in Haines, Alaska, I would have smoked it Indian style in a "outhouse style" smokehouse that I built (that my renters are now using), and would have built a small fire under it with fresh green alder with the bark stripped off. After the fire is built, and going, then I close the front of it up and "bar the door" with a 2x4 which keeps the door tight and doesn't allow much air in-hence causing it to smoke-as well as gives me the false sense of safety that it will keep the bears out. Hmmph. It's never happened to me yet, but I have had neighbors up in Haines, AK, who have had their smokers completely destroyed by the brown bears, as well as have all of the salmon gone! Man, now that would really pi$$ a person off, wouldn't it?

The smoker I use is now here on my back deck in the "big city" of Juneau, is a "Smokey Mountain" brand smoker that I bought art Costco, a Sam's Wholesale Warehouse" type of place. You guys have Costco's down there? I think I paid $120 bucks for it. I also think you may be able to find them in a Cabela's catalogue. It really is pretty nice for you can regulate the heat fairly easily because of the gas burner, which essentially keeps your wood chips going as you pay attention to the heat temp. When I smoked this batch, I kept the temp at around 200 f for the first two hours, and then dropped it back to 175 f for the final three hours. And what I did is what is called a "hot smoke" which some purists say is "all wrong", because to do it right, one must do the "cold smoke" process. To this I say; "Whatever". There's a bazillion ways to do it it seems, and I have had some mighty fine smoked salmon. But I do know that I like it the way I do it, and it doesn't take as damned long. It already takes long enough during the prep stages anyway.

And so, there is that on that. Gladja like it! :wave:

Ummm, DMiller, aka "Mama Bear",

I know that you are a "polar bear poser", because, when you gave your e-mail address, I happen to know (ginosko) that the City of North Pole is land locked, and, is way far south of the Arctic Ocean! South of Fairbanks even. But, the glasses are really cute. Kinda reminds me of a "hot" school teacher I used to fantasize about... :dance:

And, Cool Chef. Here is something my wife and I like to do, which not only stretches the smoked fish, but is also totally awesome as far as a cullinary delight goes:

Get yourself some of you favorite crackers (my favorite is garlic Triscuits), and set them aside. Then, take a generous portion of the smoked, and put it in a mixing bowl. Cereal bowl, whatever. Get your self some cream cheese, some mayo, dice some onions, add what ever seasonings you think will best compliment the "concoction" (not a very cullinary word it it?), and mix it all together like one would do when making a tuna or chicken salad. Now, as an aside, any of the bones that I missed when filletting (the "pin" bones are the ones hardest to get), will be nicely evident once you mix it all together. Pluck them out, smear (smear?) generous portions on that Triscuit, and let your mouth water in ecstacy! And, I might add, this is particularly good with............. beer! :beer:

Edited by Jonny Lingo

CoolChef,

Another great way to have smoked salmon rather than just plain lox.

Onion Bagel Toasted, with cream cheese and smoked salmon is another favorite of mine. This is how we utilize alot of our own smoked salmon. Its a great, easy quick sandwhich ...... Hubby says add a little scallion to this, he prefers it and thinks you might like it.

By the way ........... Hats off to Johny ............

But ........

CoolChef ........ I am holding you to the Halibut / Lobster trade next year.

Digi

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...fresh Alaskan smoked salmon.......ahhhhhhhhhhhh. I've actually got goosebumps! And hunger pangs. :P

Also a story about DYI smoke jobs...

Summer 1982, Valdez AK, living on the spit, cutting salmon for a living.

Bill hears how much I like smoked salmon. Gets something up his you-know-what, decides that since a 55 gallon drum works as a barrel wood stove then it ought to work as a salmon smoker. And what the heck, all of us lived in tents and had camp fires going all the time, so nobody would notice. Right?

Well, we had a heckuva feast one night. Wet-smoked salmon all around and plenty to send home with everybody...and enough leftovers for days.

Such a success!

So he does it again.

This time the Valdez Volunteer Fire Department shows up and douses the whole thing and threatens to file charges against us for "wreckless fire practices".

What fire? It was just smoke!

Anyway, it's a good story to tell the grandkids.

Gawd I would LOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEE smoked salmon, halibut cheeks and roe for Christmas dinner!

Jonny...what a guy to share such a divine dish!

CC...you've been blessed by all the gods of the universe! :D

I caught a 8lb King Schanook in the Lake Michigan Salmon Contest.

I smothered it with fresh lemon and fresh dill and wrapped in foil then put it on thegrill. Then I served it to 30 friends and family at my daughters graduation..I couldnt keep the men away from the grill.:)

Of course I didnt win the big boat but it was so fun pulling him in.I thought I had a Marlin at the end.I actualy had a fellow believer who owned the boat help me. I was exhausted after that one..I wouldnt carry him by the gill cause it was grose..he yelled at me:)these things are fun..but there is a limit..

I had fresh Lobster while I was in Nova Scotia...wow!

Edited by likeaneagle

Ya know, I was thinking dill weed...

And, no togas? Youse guys are nudists? Can I come to the party?

And hey, LikeanEagle, Thas cool you caught a Chinook (proper spelling fyi) in Lake Michigan! I did know that Chinooks lived there. Although, I am almost positive that they were introduced by some fish and game department, as were the Coho or Silver Salmon. And so, he fought hard, did he? Man, nothin like tying into a fish that will rip line off of your reel on those long and screeching runs! This summer, I hooked into two thirty pound Halibut (I had two hook rigs on one line), and man were my arms tired when it was all over!

And by the way, for some reason which is a blessing from Above, we in Alaska have all five species of salmon returning to our creeks and rivers. And yet, it seems as if each one has "two names". Some of the names are Indian, and the counterpart name is a "white man" name. I will give you the break down from the largest salmon to the smallest:

Chinook Salmon-King Salmon-20 to 97.4 oz (un broken world record caught on the Kenai River-I saw that fish the day he was caught)

Coho Salmon-Silver Salmon 8-28 pounds

Chum Salmon-Dog Salmon 8-28 pounds (just like the Coho)

Sockeye-Red Salmon 6-16 pounds (the undisputed most delectable)

Pink Salmon-Hump Backed Salmon (Humpies) 4-8 pounds (the undisputed least delectable-but still good!)

And there you have it. I got arrested the first month when I was in Alaska as a new Corps grad for fishing with a "falsified license" that I fudged on concerning my residency status. I couldn't help it! I just want to fish! The sad thing was, I made the sacrifice for the least of these Pices Delectables, for, I was caught with three "Pinks or Humpies"! Oh man! T. Jenks would have been wagging his finger at me!

Edited by Jonny Lingo

T Jenks has appeared unto me in a vee-sion, saying troubles and afflictions abide thee. Abide thee when?? Adibe thee if you go feeshing without proper legal authorization. Jonny and his companions in trouble, err, travel.

Let me ask you a question... Did he go feeshing?? Did Jonny go feeshing?? He sure did... Did he get in trouble??? He surely did, almost lost his coho...

We here in FL don't know much about those type feeshes. We are all about dolphin, grouper, snapper, marlin, cobia, tuna, wahoo, and all manner of beast which cleaveth the fin. Personally, I'd rather have tuna of the land (cheekin). Only way I eat feesh is if I go a feeshin and catch something, and put it on the grill that evening. Otherwise, just give me cheekin (or gorp & a cheese wedge)...

CoolChef,

Another great way to have smoked salmon rather than just plain lox.

Onion Bagel Toasted, with cream cheese and smoked salmon is another favorite of mine. This is how we utilize alot of our own smoked salmon. Its a great, easy quick sandwhich ...... Hubby says add a little scallion to this, he prefers it and thinks you might like it.

By the way ........... Hats off to Johny ............

But ........

CoolChef ........ I am holding you to the Halibut / Lobster trade next year.

Digi

digi

done deal

i can't wait!!!

coolchef,

I loved fresh cooked carrots will definately try it with Dill. I use to belong to a cooking club. None of us chefs but we came up with some great recipes.

I love to cook .......... make all kinds of excellent fudges for holidays, including white chocolate, with hazelnuts or pecans and coconut. Really great.

I don't know if you like curry or not, but I sent away for a pound of this killer curry, If you enjoy curry let me know and I will send you an ounce or so of it and see what you think. It is due in next week.

Good spices really make our dish right.

Digi

CoolChef,

Dude .......... you will absolutely love this curry ........... its my special ingredient in my killer potato salad, just a dash or two .......... but makes it absolutely wonderful. People who shy away from curry altogether have eaten the seconds and even third helpings on this salad.

Will send you some as a belated holiday gift ....................... you will have to let me know what you think of it.

I will contact you by PM for info.

Digi