GreaseSpot Cafe

Drive-ins

We recently rediscovered drive-ins. We have the new little one, which makes it hard to go places, since he tends to scream and make noice at any given moment.

So we found a drive-in and tried it out. It still is a lot of fun. You get to see two or three movies for 5 or six bucks a person or 10 bucks a car. Now they hae it where you can tune into a radio station to get the sound which works rather well with a decent stereo system.

We have gone about three times so far. It is a great way to go if you have very young children.

It don't mean a thing, all you gotta do is swing.

Drive-ins are the greatest!! We have one here that charges $3.50 only if you're over 9 and on Thursdays it's $3.50 a carload!

They almost always have first run movies - we don't go nearly often enough! Hmmm. I wonder what's playing tonite?

B - Better

O - Off

W - Without

t - the

w - way

i - international

We have one here outside of Indy. I went last year with a friend and 2 kids. Lots of young families out eating picnics and Kentucky Fried Chicken on blankets and the backs of pick ups. Kids running all over the place playing tag and soccer.

We brought our blankies and pillows and hopped in the back of the ol' El Camino. Pretty fun watching the movie while looking up at the stars!

Brought back memories of being a kid in the 50s and 60s!

J.

There's still a drive-in near here in the little town of Belmont, NC. $7.00 a car any time and they show all the top movies.

Last time we were there, the sweet smell of wacky tobacco came drifting from a few rows back. Almost enough to get a little contact high.

Ah, the good old days.

My first drive-in experience was in late 1968 and happened to be the second movie I had ever been to as well. Having been raised in a strict religious home.

I was 15 and on an unofficial date with an older man. He was 23. He took me to see 2001 A Space Odyssey. But only after having smoked my first joint as well. So here we are in this weird *** state watching a weird *** movie and he wants to neck. icon_eek.gif

I recall how difficult it was to concentrate on that movie and him at the same time. Later was asked by my curious Mom to relay the jest of the movie. I was dumbfounded as to reply. After that I had to unofficially date him on the back porch ONLY. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Zixar,

Thanks! Hey can I ask you something about that movie? Sorry yall for momentary derailment.

I think I understood ?the dawn of man? stuff (don?t agree with it), and ?Hal? and how human he was for a machine. And the Jupiter light show thing was totally awesome in my then present state of mind. But what the heck was that big metal thing? And how did it relate to the man getting old and being reborn at the ending. My memory is fuzzy because of how many years ago that was; heck my memory was fuzzy while I was watching it. icon_eek.gif

I know you said it is hard to explain, but heck if anyone can do it you're the one! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

So what the heck is this thing?

monolith.jpg

Okay, the Monolith imparted the knowledge of toolmaking to the ape in the opening sequence. The next time we see it, it's on the Moon where scientists have just uncovered it. It sends off a radio-squeal to Jupiter, so the Discovery is built and sent out to investigate, but only HAL knows what they're being sent to investigate. The quandary of having to conceal information to the crew drives HAL insane. Anyway, there's this HUGE Monolith near Jupiter (which is news to Bowman) and after disconnecting HAL, he goes out to explore it. Just as the first Monolith triggered the evolutionary change in the ape to move it on towards humanity, when Bowman touches the big Monolith he is accelerated onto the next stage of human evolution, apparently.

Much of this is explained in the sequel, 2010. When the Leonov is dispatched to find out what happened to the Discovery, the crew finds out that there seems to be life in the ocean under the ice crust of Europa, one of Jupiter's moons. Which just sets the stage for the Monolith to help its evolution along by detonating Jupiter into a new star.

Weird, yes, but still a pretty good story.

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the Word of God..."

Hey Dan that can not be seen,

Gosh it has been ages since we spoke. Thanks for the suggestion. Kubrick could be a thread unto himself couldn?t he? Hubby is the real sci-fi enthusiast in my family. He read the 'Dune' series years back, then for his birthday our son sent him all the books and he reread them again. Only after having watched the whole series on TV, and after all that started the books over again. Maybe that helps express his passion for sci-fi. Hmm is Dune considered sci-fi? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Well looks like I did a derailment gig again didn?t I? Oh well, it ain?t like no one else around here does it right?! icon_razz.gif:P-->

Hi Kathy who is talkable -

yes, I think "Dune" falls into the sci-fi/fantasy category.

My wife has a couple of Frank Herbert's books, lying around here somewhere.

I remember seeing the first version that was directed by David Lynch many years ago.

And I also recall my brother being somewhat confused by the movie - unlike myself, he had read the books!

But I guess the sci-fi channel did a decent miniseries. I caught it here 'n there.

Miniseries takes a bit of "commitment" though.

For example, I still prefer Kubrick's (praised be his name) creepy version of "The Shining" over the long-winded miniseries any day.

In Kubrick's hands, it actually became a movie.

In King's hands, a soap opera.

Danny

David Lynch's film of Dune was hard to understand if you hadn't read the first book.

Frank Herbert created an intricate mythology surrounding the universe in the year 10,191, one on a scale that few sci-fi epics match. It's similar to Lord of the Rings in scope.

Hubby agreed the film was best understood if you had read Herbert?s books. And he was intrigued with the way they handled the marriage of church and state in the series.

I know I also mentioned this in that thread on Tolkien that he reread all that series as well as The Silmarillion. But IMO there was so much character depth in the books it would have been impossible to portray it in the movies.

I know what I am getting him for Christmas, both sets of movies and first night tickets for the Return of the King.

The new Two Towers DVD has an interesting preview of Return of the King. Where the Battle of Helm's Deep in TTT had 10,000 orcs/uruk-hai, the Battle of the Pelennor Fields in ROTK has TWENTY times that number. Should be incredible...

I'll have to rent The Two Towers, as I am holding out for the extended DVD release in November.

As for drive-ins, I think I'll head to one this weekend. Should be fun. Maybe I'll be able to catch Freddy v. Jason!

Zixar, I have a quandary. I don?t own a DVD player yet, not the money but the something new to figure out. If I go to a DVD player I would still have to have a VHS machine cause of some things I have on tape I enjoy watching. And so I haven?t had the energy to figure how to have them both so just thought I would stay in the darker ages and keep my VHS machine. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

But can?t wait to see Return of the King. Just can?t wait.

Rafael, are you trying to get this thread back on track. Cause I sure as heck ain't. icon_razz.gif:P-->

I enjoyed the Freddy movies but never got into the Jason ones. So think I will pass on that one. Hubby wants to see The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Sean Connery still. Heck it?ll be on VHS I think by the time we get around to it. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Kathy: Here's 2 at walmart.com for $148, take your pick:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp...%3A3944%3A62055

Just be aware that you can't copy DVDs to tape with these machines. DVDs are copy-protected with Macrovision which makes the picture fade in and out if taped. You can copy homemade DVDs like home movies, but not the Hollywood stuff.