GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you think Texas quarterback Vince Young should quit school for NFL draft?

J0nny Ling0

I agree as well. Although, I have heard others say that he should stay in order to get his degree, bring more "accolades" to the school that launched his career, as well as earn that Heisman. And so, I just thought I'd ask.

I had a shipmate who was/is friends with the family of Juneau's Favorite Son, Carlos Boozer, of recent Duke University and NBA fame. When the time came for Carlos to choose between his senior year at Duke and the NBA, naturally, this was a common topic in the crew mess of our ship, crewed mostly with Juneau people. And, I chimed in with the "I think he should do the honorable thing and finish out college". But then, this shipmate of mine pointed out that his father and mother had shelled out lots of dough on basketball camp, basketball tutors, etc etc, and that once he goes NBA, he'll get a signing bonus or some kind of guarantee of ten million bucks if he gets hurt and bumped out of the NBA. And then, he can always come back for his "gegree" whether he a has a stellar career or not. For, what would happen to him should he blow out a knee during his senior year? And, would he play so hard during his senior year? Or would he be careful not to hurt himself and not give his best, in order to be healthy enough for the NBA? And so, I definitely changed my way of thinking on the matter.

Now, I am not real proud of Carlos's switch from the Cavaliers to the Jazz. I remember the headliner: "Will Boozer keep his word? Or will he go for the big bucks with the Jazz?" Well, he got the big bucks, but he's been out this year with an injury of some sorts. Yeah yeah, I know, On the one hand he holds the offer of $65 million, and in the other hand, he holds the $900,000.00 contract with the Cavaliers. "Hmm, let's see, which is worth more? 65 mil? Or 900 thou? Hmmm..." However, he and Lebron James were quite a tag team and could have taken them to greater heights and demanded bigger contracts.

But I agree, Vince Young should take a deal with the NFL. But, geez, the Houston Texans?

If the Texans management has any brains (doubtful), they'll trade their draft pick for a couple of GOOD offensive linemen. David Carr and Dominic Davis would probably be stars at quarterback and running back if they had any blocking. I doubt Vince Young can throw very far with his face in the turf, either.

George

• 2 weeks later...