GreaseSpot Cafe

Getting Help

Hooner

After everything I learned from the Way teaching, it seems nothing can help me.

It seems as though every counselor I go to....knows nothing after knowing what I've been taught.

Has anyone else had to face this situation? When you feel you can not go back to the beliefs but now, you can't move forward?

Edited by Hooner

(((Hooner)))

I got lucky and on my first try I found a therapist who has a Unitarian Universalist background, a degree in something religion-related from UC Berkely. I also gave him a copy of Steve Hassan's "Breaking the Bonds: Enabling People to Think for Themselves" book. I have also read the book "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse" and been able to share from that with him, too.

I would suggest looking at the names accepted on your insurance plan, calling their offices and asking to speak with the therapist. They may have to call you back if they're in a session, but they will (if they don't then that's also a sign they aren't the therapist for you. ;) ) If you have to drive a bit to get there, then that's okay. It's worth it to get good help.

I picked my psychiatrist because he was involved in lots of different experiments and research. I discovered that by looking up all the psychiatrists online before calling one.

Don't know if you're aware, but therapists are great for talk therapy and psychiatrists can prescribe medication. I go to both because I need both and my psychiatrist doesn't really do "talk therapy".

Don't give up, Hooner! The right one is out there, you just have to look really hard sometimes because, well, we have situations that are just now coming to light in the therapy world. In the meantime, if you need/want more support and/or someone to vent to, please feel free to contact me anytime via PM or e-mail. I applaud you for seeking help!! It makes a BIG difference in my life and it's a smart person who gets help when they need it.

I know exactly what you're going through. When I first got out I felt as if no one could understand because no one knew what I'd been taught & what I'd gone thru spiritually & emotionally. A sales rep in the company I worked for was a good Christian man. I confided in him with my concerns & fears. He went over & above by finding a former Wayfer follower to talk with. He then asked my permission to have this person contact me. I allowed this & when I spoke to the ex Wayfer he helped me tremendously. He helped me understand so many things that no counselor could.

From there I was able to begin searching for things myself. I took time to figure out what I believed, how I felt about various things they had pushed down my throat. I also took time to figure out what I wanted spiritually. That took me to an interfaith belief which is where I remain today.

So it started out difficult, but took me to a place of acceptance & respect for others. It also helped me see what I wanted & needed in my life. If it weren't for my co-worker & that 1 ex Wayfer, I may never have gotten out & stayed out. Nor would I have been able to get past the hurt & damage caused.

Hooner...Belle gives you some very excellant advice.

...But to answer your question...yes, I understand how you feel because I was there myself.

...and this too will pass.

There are many "junctures" we cross while recovering from "cult madness"... I didn't seek professional help when I left twi but many do...the important thing to know is that you WILL emerge out of the end of the tunnel and things will be much more clear and you will be much more at peace.

Hang in there Hooner. I agree with Belle about contacting your insurance company to see who is on your plan. Then interview therapists until you find one that you feel comfortable with. If you don't feel comfortable with the first one, try another. The best fit is someone you make a connection with. You'll know it when you get there, so don't try one and give up.

And yes, this, too will pass.