GreaseSpot Cafe

Superbowl Sunday

Radar OReilly

Belle...

I'll make a big ol' pot of that chili sometime just for you. The fajita recipe looks wonderful and here's three hints to make them really extra special.

1. Get a couple of sticks of hickory or mesquite wood (about 3 or 4 inches in diameter) cut fairly recent so it's still green. Split them into 5 or 6 pieces each, place them in your grill on top of some charcoals, get them started and grill the meat over them.

2. Take an iron skillet and oil it very lightly, get it nice and hot. Put your flour tortilla in it and cook it until it puffs up, then flip it over and do the same thing again. Make sure they're not over cooked and still soft and pliable. This takes a little time as you have to do them one at a time, but hey'll taste 1000% better.

3. Accompany your fajitas with Pico de Gallo. Pico de Gallo (roosters beak) is a fresh salsa made of fresh chopped tomatoes, fresh chopped onion, fresh chopped cilantro leaves and fresh chopped jalapenos. Chop it all up into a container of water, add a little salt, vinegar and garlic to taste, cover and refrigerate overnight.

Many years ago, I worked as a photographer in San Antonio. The owner of a high end, family owned and operated Mexican restaurant chain hired me to shoot his sons wedding. I did the wedding and provided them with a 20x24 bridal portrait, a wedding album and all the goodies...even gave them the negatives... and instead of charging them for it, I asked to work in their restaurant kitchen for a few weeks and observe and learn. They were more than happy to do this and not only did I learn some priceless stuff, I gained about 25 lbs, learned a little Spanish (Tex-Mex) and made some wonderful friends.

What was this thread about again? Oh, yeah...the super bowl. IMNSHO, a bowl is a bowl is a bowl and can't be a SUPER bowl unless it's filled with chili.

Hi Radar! I have been reading a book by Steven G Pratt M.D., author of SUPER FOODS Rx. Its a good read concerning the healing properties of food. Hippocrates is purported to have said, "Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food."I would like to encourage all the Super Bowl spirits be consumed only after a quality meal.

Here is a list of the top nine healing foods among many researchers.

1. Whole grains (the new new broccoli) Whole grains , not enriched

Whole grains such as oats,whole wheat,brown rice, bulgur, and bran .

2. Cherries (the all natural pain reliever)

3. Yogurt (the immunity booster)

4. Salmon ( the omega-3 fatty acid bone strengthener)

5. Cabbage (the cruciferous breast cancer defense)

6. Walnuts (Great fer the ole' ticker)

7.Blueberries (the natural cure fer Alzheimers and dementia)

8. Beans (keeps the old GI rolling along)

9. Tomatoes (great for lowering prostrate-specific antigen)

Now with that said, I offer this spread for the Football Feast.

Smoked Salmon with Goat Cheese and Dill

4 ounces of goat cheese

2 shallots, peeled and minced

1 small bunch of chives

1 big zesty lemon juiced

1 whole wheat baguette sliced into 1/2 inch slices

salt and pepper to taste

a little extra virgin olive oil for notch kicking

a little fresh dill for garnish

Oh I almost forgot the most important ingredient....some thinly sliced smoked salmon.

Allow the goat cheese to come to room temperature (helps with the mixing)

Mix the shallots, chives, lemon juice well,,.throw in a pinch of salt and pepper . Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven the bread slightly brushed with the olive oil, on a sheet pan for about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven, spread on the goat cheese mixture and then top wif a sliver of smoked slamon , garnish wif dill. Makes great sandwhiches for pregame activites.

For a salad try this.

Blueberry, Walnut, Red Cabbagge and Mango Salad

For the vinaigrette

6 ounces fresh raspberries

1/3 cup of water

1/4 cup of champagne wine vinegar

1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil

And For the Salad

1 head of butter lettuce leaves seperated

1/4 head of red cabbage sliced thin

4 ounces of fresh blueberries

1 nice firm mango..peeled and diced

4 tablespoons of toasted walnut halves

Prepare the vinaigrette by putting the raspberries in a blender with the water and vinegar,puree until smooth. Slow the blender down and slowly add the olive oil until mixture becomes creamy and thick. You might want to throw in a pinch of sugar if the raspberries are too tart. Strain to remove any seeds. Put in frige to chill.

Wash and dry lettuce and cabbage, then mix in bowls with the mango and blueberries. Serve by pouring the vinaigrette over salad... top with toasted walnuts.

A great desert is a Yogurt Parfait with cheeries and toasted oats.

2 cups low fat plain yogurt

3 tlbsp of honey

1 small orange zested

1 cup of red pitted cherries

1 tlbsp of sugar

1/2 cup of rolled oats toasted.Toast the oats by cooking in a skillet for about two to three minutes using medium heat

Combine the yougurt, honey , orange zest in a bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours,this will help flavors blend. Pit the cherries and coat with sugar and refrigerate for about four hours. When ready to serve, place some oats in the bottom of a parfait glass, top with yougurt mixture, then cherries and throw on another dollop of yogurt and sprinkle some oats on top. You can make these up ahead of time and refrigerate for a couple hours.

Hope you have a nice day ! By the way these recipes are broken down for servings of four. You might have to enlarge the quantity of ingredients to accomadate a larger crowd.

Go Seahawks!!! Your friendly tour guide to tha Bourbin Regions of the Bluegrass State.....Littlehawk!

I am a Dallas Cowboys fan, but this time I am supporting the Steelers. A good meal for two or more:

http://www.dominos.com

http://www.gmodelo.com.mx

http://www.bk.com

http://www.kfc.com

Very good American food with a lot of the very best Beer! :beer:

Also a lot of snacks:

http://www.planters.com

http://www.capecodchips.com

http://www.jollytime.com

Edited by dmiller

:( :( :(

The Seattle Seahawk have lost. And due a lot to one f**kup after another. They started out great. But after they got their field goal, it was largely downhill from there.

Gad! This is too eerily similar to when Atlanta was at the Superbowl back in 1999, and lost it by falling too far behind.

AARRRGGGHHHH!!! :asdf:

What is RO*TEL?....

Radar -

We watched the game and feasted on:

Chas' Atomic Wings

2 lb chicken wings, cut at the joints into sections

Peanut or veg oil for frying

1 stick of butter

1 bottle of Texas Pete or other hot pepper sauce

1 or 2 cloves of fresh garlic

1 tbsp cayanne pepper

1 tsp hot red pepper flakes

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp oregano

celery

blue cheese dressing (Marie's is our fav)

Deep fry the wings in the oil until just crispy - but not dry. In a large skillet (I use a big black iron skillet for this) - melt the butter, add the hot sauce, and add all the other ingredients except for the celery and blue cheese dressing. After the wings are cooked, drain them and dump them into your hot sauce mixture to coat. Coat the wing well and let them 'stew' in the sauce for 5 mins or so. Remove wings with a slotted spoon and repeat the process until all wings are cooked and coated. If you like your wings extra crispy, finish them off under a hot broiler for a few minutes. Serve with the celery and blue cheese dressing.

Sweet Potato Fries

Cut up a bunch of sweet potatoes in strips - like fries. Deep fry the fries - they're done when they float, basically. You can serve with butter, salt, and maple syrup if you want - or just plain. (I like them plain, but the kids love maple syrup with them.)

Honey Mustard Hot Dog Bites (for the rug rats)

Sliced pieces of hot dog with honey and a little mustard and butter - all warmed together in a sauce pan.

We washed it down with the new Double Bock by Sam Adams - excellent beer!

And we followed it with a dose of Lipitor!

(Isn't that what they make it for?)

Well, you can use these recipies for next year - enjoy!

LOL, Chas!

Ro*tel is tomatoes spiced and canned - you can find them next to the canned diced tomatoes in the grocery store. They are totally awesome!! If you like spicy food, substitute them for any recipe that calls for tomatoes.

Rotel Dip is the most common, most popular use for them. 1 lb. block of Velveeta Cheese - 1-2 cans of Rotel tomatoes (I use 1 can extra hot and 1 can regular, but drain one of the cans) - microwave till the cheese is melted. Serve with chips, veggies, on scrambled eggs, on sandwiches, on spaghetti, on tacos, on chicken.... To jazz it up - add 1 lb. ground sausage/beef or both.

pic_cans.gif

:( :( :(

The Seattle Seahawk have lost. And due a lot to one f**kup after another. They started out great. But after they got their field goal, it was largely downhill from there.

Gad! This is too eerily similar to when Atlanta was at the Superbowl back in 1999, and lost it by falling too far behind.

AARRRGGGHHHH!!! :asdf:

:cryhug_1_::cryhug_1_::cryhug_1_:

It's OK. We all feel yer pain. Talk it out, seek counseling,

there's professionals who can help you here!

:dance:dance.gif:dance:dance.gif:dance:

Edited by dmiller