GreaseSpot Cafe

Raisin Holy Hands

bliss

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:offtopic: Believe it or not, I recently did a design project for a single guy down in Houston. I had to work with his black lights and peter max posters. He had a huge bong sitting in the corner of his "media room."

The first thing I wanted to ask him was what kinda drugs he did. I'm wonderin, "hey, are you just into smoking pot, or do you still do psychodelics?" But of course, one can't keep one's professional demeanor and go there, so.........I did the best I could.

I sold him a bunch of Ethan Allen furniture, though. And his "media room" look pretty nice when I got done. Aye, chihuahua. What one does, to make a living...........

:offtopic:

Please forgive. :)

Edited by ex10

ok ok

I thought this was about "holy hands" not unholy bongs?

lol

thanks all for your thoughts, I will consider all viewpoints.

For me, I use to have to hold my hands together with the fingers pointing UP toward God. That stuck with me since childhood, although, never did it in TWI.

I think for me its a feeling of "connection" or "touching" God in a way. If the music so inspires me (which in TWI it RARELY happend, unless it was a local group), I might raise my hands in thankfullness or joy.

We'll see what happens. I only attend Sunday School right now, we haven't gone to a real "service" yet.

:wink2:

And Bliss and ex10, I'm always glad to see folks like you raising your hands in church. :D Makes me happy to see people really comfortable, touched, moved and enjoying the service. Something we never experienced in TWI. I'll be the one behind you with no rhythm swaying and bouncing on the balls of my feet. :wink2:

Cuff me, I'm guilty and ready to do my time. :) Ain' gonna be no time off for good bahavior, I can gawrantee that. :biglaugh:

Belle, you just reminded me of a woman at the church we've been visiting. Not that this is you but that reminded me of her....She is the nicest person, can't remember her name, but we've been behind her a few times, chatted lightly. She's way down into the music, clapping, and gets right into a groove.

But...

She has no sense of time, rhythm. I mean, if there was a meter to be found she'd get a parking ticket for just driving by. She is so off the beat, it's absolutely - it's like falling in love, it feels that good. It's crazy, I can't imagine what she's hearing but it's her own song. :biglaugh::biglaugh: But she has the right idea, I know that.

Few months ago, my son and daughter were both home together and we went together, the whole fam. They're 24 and 22, and both rather attractive if I do say so myself, all due to their lovely mother. We were behind this woman and the kids were so cute - they couldn't believe it but were trying hard not to laugh becuz this woman is so into it. So the woman turns around after the song ends and smiles at my kids and says "OH you make such a CUTE couple, WELcome!" She thought they were 'together'. And they quickly explained they weren't, in that way. Somehow, it just seemed right. That whole service was so good, I could do it again and again.

Edited by socks

....and that, Dear Socks, is why I don't clap! :D :D :D

I've no doubt that you and your wife produced lovely beautiful children! I suspect Daddy's genes contributed to the good looks and brains department as well. :) That IS a great story! You just can't help but be happy when you see others enjoying themselves, imo. That's why I love the freedom to do so in church.

Mama has always said we make a "joyful" noise unto the Lord. It's not pleasant for those around us, but it IS a joyful NOISE, nonetheless. :blink: God love Mama and the terrible tone deaf ears she gave me.

Belle, if'n it makes ya feel any better, I get the elbow from son in church.

I'll be really into the music and have my eyes closed and ahem, forget myself? and allova sudden son pokes me and says, "Mom, you're singing too loud."

He's 13. He cain't help it.

Unfortunately, the singing gene doesn't exist in my family's gene pool.

Altho, I do have a daughter who sings like an angel. I must credit her dad for that.

We do the best we can. :D

I've already put in my request for a singing voice when we get our new bodies. ;)

I have no problem with raising holy hands - but it just doesn't feel right for me. I must say that I am won of those quiet listeners - even in my rock concert days I just always wanted to sit and enjoy the feeling.

So during worship I bask in the feeling I get and I give that to God - I also cry a lot - no matter what the song at one pint I just get moved to tears( my family knows that will happen so they all keep extra kleenex on them)

- I also cry a lot - no matter what the song at one pint I just get moved to tears

I am so with you on that one DOOJ, I cry at all live music.

I go to plays, as soon as I sit there, looking at the stage, I CRY.

I can see them over and over, I still cry.

The other day, after our bible study class, one of my friends wanted us to go "back stage" and meet up with the pianist, whom my hubby knew from work.....

Anyway, we were standing there, with the choir, singing "I know God" or something. It was so overwhelming and powerful, I was moved to tears. I wasn't even staying for the service. (not yet we don't)

It was more powerful than the Way corus choir IMO

and all the while, different people are looking back at us, saying 'hi' and smiling.

The whole time I am thinking, "who's going to get in trouble for bringing these new people(us) back stage."

I mean, could you imagine, at HQ or any meeting for that matter, where there was practice or getting ready going on, and you just stroll to the back stage with newbies, to say HI to someone?

I can hear the reproof now................. :realmad:

But to my releif and happiness, they were just blessed to see us.

Gosh, what we used to put up with.

and we will totally ignore the fact that i'm like a foot taller than you and everbody will think you are one of my kids. We will just ignore all those people who look at us funny and say "yeah, we are friends."

Amen. :dance:

Edited by ex10

There is a record in Luke 11 where one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. This would have been the opportune time for Jesus the son of God who one would assume certainly knew how to pray rightly if anyone did to address any accompanying actions regarding prayer. His closest followers asked a honest question desiring teaching . And yet conspicuously absent is any reference to now guys when you pray wave your hands like this.... No where here or anywhere does he instruct anyone to perform any sort of corresponding action with prayer. In fact the opposite Jesus mostly prayed alone away from people.

Luke 1:1- 5

And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. 2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. 3 Give us day by day our daily bread. 4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

He did make reference to those praying to be seen:

Matthew 6:5 - And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward

Now Jesus having the perfect opportunity to share with all mankind ,forever written in scripture ,apparently did not feel it was important to make known this practice of hand lifting. I still have the same question What is the point? If Jesus did not think it central to prayer why should I? Some have pointed out that art or history shows Hebrew people in different postures of prayer. Art and history also show God's people wanting to go back to Egypt where they thought they left their God. It also shows us a people who built a golden calf and worshiped it . And a people who consistently turned to idols. Are we to assume because it is recorded in the Bible that we are to do the same also? One would think that Jesus who loved his disciples surely would not have held back this important fact when asked how to pray. And yet no mention of it ,nor any mention of it by any of His followers in the whole New Testament. I'm guessing Jesus got it right.....

However, there are a number of differn't emotive issues when praying, praying in earnest, lifting up his eyes to heaven etcc..I doubt seriously that Jesus just sat there and mechanically rattled off his prayers and worship. It should always be from the heart and I believe bodily reactions will often be a reaction to what is emanating from the heart.

Another unfortunate 'practice' coming from TWI, a complete lack of genuine emotion, or rather, the wrong types of emotion.

Doojadove -To pee in ones pants is not a good representation of a Dove cult member. Pleae use the little white chair instead.

Am I out of fellowship? - or will I be M&Aed? ( Tongue placed squarely in cheek)

What if I just "tinkle?"