GreaseSpot Cafe

Owning Words - Trademarking Words - Where does it end?

ChasUFarley

Let's say you have a little mom-n-pop wiget business, and you named your wiget, "Cool Wiget". You've got a little web site, and don't make a lot of money of "Cool Wiget", but some...

Well, one day, the Big Bad Lawyer sends you a fax stating that her client owns the trademark "Cool Wiget" and you have to change the name of your wiget. You find that this lawyer's client just now applied for the trademark of "Cool Wiget" and although it won't really be hers for a year, you are still getting bugged by this lawyer to change the name of your wiget NOW! NOW! NOW! By the way, this client is cha-CHING - RICH! (You are far from that!)

So, as you're tossing around the idea of a new name for your wiget, it also occurs to you that the owner of the trademark "Cool Wiget" has enough money to buy whatever names you might come up with. You could name you wiget "Hot Wiget" and she'd buy that, too.

What can you do? Do you have to buy a trademark to keep a name? How can mom-n-pop stay in business without having to rename their wigets every other month?

Indeed. You can't cry foul over a trademark you don't own, particularly when you can establish that you had it first. The other big bad rich guy could be forced to change HIS name, or pay you for the rights.

Well, the first thing you do is an online search here. Next you search the web for the name. I have a small business and I've had to come up with about 8 new names in the last 10 years.

On my very first product, there was no online search resources so I went to the San Francisco City Library where they had the trademark database on CD-ROM. I searched the name I wanted to use and came up empty. I released the product with the name and a nice warm feeling. Lo and behold a *major* company released a product of the same type with the same name. They had registered it between the time the CD-ROM was released and the time I checked. I had put quite a bit of work into using the name so I kept it thinking I would change it *if* they complained. They never did. Their product was not sucessful and was discontinued. That large company was bought out by a larger company and the division that created the product is long gone.

As to where to get help, Nolo Press has a nice series of self-help legal books covering patents, trademarks and copyright. If things get really bad, you can always buy an hour of time from an intellectual properties lawyer. The last time I did was about 7 years ago and it cost $300. Well worth it for the advise I got.

I'm wondering if your concern is purely academic or you have a new product that you're thinking of making? If so, I've been down that road a few times and would be happy to give you what advice I could. PM me if you don't want to discuss it here.

Edited by Jim

Jim -

It's a little of both.

A dear friend of mine, who has a small, home-based business, was recently contacted by a big shot, on-her-way-to-the-top person, who just registered TWO WORDS that my friend uses in a product that she makes and sells. The products are very similar, BUT the woman who owns the trademark has not released her product yet.

Since this could turn ugly, let's pretend the product is homemade wine and my friend's product is labeled "Moose Juice Wine". Well, rich-woman just trademarked the words, "Moose Juice" with the intention of releasing her own line of "Moose Juice Wine". When I say this woman is rich, think of an organic version of a well-known woman who recently got out of jail, and who is known for her clever homemaking ideas - got my drift? This is someone who is close to being a household name.

Anyhow, my friend and I have been combing the web, including the trademark registration database, to see what we can do. My friend could certainly rename her product - "Moose Lake Wine" or something, but what caused me to start this thread was the thought of.... "What if Ms. Granola decides she likes that name too and trademarks it?!" It's kind of depressing for the little man when someone can just swoop in, buy words, and give your business a little kick.

So, that's how this got started... And since GSC is such a fine crossection of people, I thought maybe someone could give us a little more insight on this...

(I checked my business name before buying my URL and all - I didn't want this problem!)

Can your friend establish that she had the product name first? If she can, then it's hers, though a rich competitor for the name may force her to spend a lot of money in litigation. If she doesn't want to fight it, make sure that the name she chooses is unique, then establish a date for first use, like an ad in a newspaper (that has a date on it) or something.

Like Raf said, the person who can prove he had it first is the owner. Registering it is just one way to put a date on the ownership and deter copycats.

Regards,

Shaz

Another idea to prove who had what first, is to take your idea and or name for your idea, write it all down and mail it to a trusted person. Tell the person not to open the letter, but to put it back somewhere safe. You will then have some type of proof, dated with an official post office date of when you had this idea.

This works nicely for anyone also who has invented something but has not yet patented it. I don't know if this will win in the over all argument, but at least you do have proper dated documentation if needed.