GreaseSpot Cafe

Dial Up VS High Speed

topoftheworld

My Cable Provider is raising rates (big surprise) but they are offering a bundle package to include their high speed internet access (not including equipment and taxes) which would just about equal what I'm paying for cable and phone now. The question will be the cost of the "equipment".

I'm on dial up, and my pages are loading just fine. Viewing videos like the ones Royal is offering is a different matter. I have to wait up to a half hour for it to load and then replay it before I can enjoy. How much difference would high speed make, since these are about the only thing that would make my surf experience better? I don't download music and only occasionally find some other video items I might like. Now that Paw is trying his Podcast, I had the same slow issue. Is it worth the extra cost? Does it make that much difference?

I know anyone I have spoken to that has DSL or a faster connection would never go back to dial up.

on DSL it takes seconds( if that )to your 1/2 hour download.

whether it is worth it would be up to you.

Im dial up it is fine for me, if I had a faster connection I may have worse problem than I do with time wasted on this machine.

I like the game sites and the fact it takes so much time helps me think about what IM doing, If I could do games in a second oh no better not go there.

I keep a cell phone so the dial up is no problem . but I do not want to try DSL might get the fever every one speaks of ya know a little taste and...

my cable is at least 50 times faster then dialup plus get a router so you can run more then one machine off the same hookup. i find it odd that they would charge for equipment. all you need is a cable modem which my cable service provided at no charge.

Edited by CM

Uh, check with your cable provider to see if their tech support would still be able to assist you if you don't have their cable modem (Surfboard). Some won't. Mine draws the line at my router, which my cable modem is hooked to, then my computer is hooked to my router.

The other thing to consider is that if by renting their modem that you'll be able to quickly upgrade in a year or so, as the technology improves, simply by bringing in your old (or even defective) modem and swapping it for a new one. Do the math - make sure it's worth it.

Welcome to life in the fast lane!

I do not want to be the bad guy here but I just have to say this. If you are using dial up you are being counter productive and wasting hours of your life. The timeyou save will more than pay for the extra cost.

The ONLY reason not to switch to braodband is that you are STRUGGLING to pay your bills and you simply can not afford another dime.

Find the money. Make the switch and never look back. 56k is dead.

I swtiched, I switched, ok?

I stayed on dial up because for many years I was only home on the weekends, so it wasn't worth the expense. When I was home, the only thing I used the net for was planning the next week's trip, so it was no big deal.

That situation has changed, and since finding some things offered by Greasespot, I decided to make the switch. So now I can play with the big boys. Thanks, y'all.

Thanks for the tip: alot of garbage accumulates in a short period. However, try as I might, I couldn't find file called Content:IE5. I cleaned out what made sense from the temp folder. Some click files (damn spammers) wouldn't delete. Which index files to keep and dispose of?

You'd like there could be some auto format to clean those files on a weekly (Even daily) basis. Any clues?

copy and paste this into

Start-Run

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

it's a hidden file-it's even hidden when show hidden files is selected

also there is a program called Ccleaner at download.com that lets you choose what to delete

you can even delete the index.dat files if you want

sometimes they get corrupted

http://www.download.com/CCleaner/3000-2144...tml?tag=lst-0-1

it's like the computer needs to blow it's nose sometimes-lol

if a file is in use you cannot delete it

spysweeper is a good program ($30)

but keeps over 100 files in temp to work

what files will not delete?

from download.com

there is also

adaware se

spybot sd

spywareblaster

these are free and work well

be sure to update them first then run them

if you don't have antivirus get

avg antivirus from download.com it's free too

I'd take that cable modem back to them and buy one... the money you save monthly will pay for it shortly... linksys makes a nice combination cable modem/router (even wireless if you want it)...

on another topic:

files to delete at least monthly

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

everything in Content.IE5 except index

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

everything in prefetch

everyone else agree with this? CM what is the purpose of doing this? (honest question) I pasted the first one in run and it can't find it, the second one comes up with a bunch of files...

thanks all

I bought my modem.

I did exactly as CM said: the first time I tried typing it in and couldn't get it. Then I snipped it and got right in. I did a search for "prefetch" and found it that way.

P.S.: I'm very careful with downloads: actually very few, unless it's a Microsoft update or something similiar. It's a scary world out there.

Edited by topoftheworld

Tom

Windows has a limit size on folders-so when they get full windows has to do more work-deleting and adding more files.

Plus there can be dormant things in there waiting to wake up and mess with your comp.

this is part of the explanation i got

my cable company doesn't charge me for using their modem

OK... thanks!

I didn't need the "owner" in the path... but my temp files were all from today...

I went to the prefetch thing and cleared those files. I clear my temporary files pretty much daily. I bought that SecureIE program from McAfee a year or so ago and it's got a desktop icon that I click on and it clears out my temp files and cache, cookies, etc...