GreaseSpot Cafe

Texas Farm Kid in Marine Boot Camp

ex70sHouston

Dear Ma and Pa

I am well. Hope ya'll doin well. Tell brother Walt and Brother Elmer the Marine Corps beats working for old man Minch by a mile. Tell them to join up quick before maybe all of the places are filled.

I was restless at first because you got to stay in bed till 6am, but I'm getting so I like to sleep late.

Tell Walt and Elmer all you do before breakfast is smooth your cot and shine some things. No hogs to slop, feed to pitch, mash to mix, wood to split, fire to lay. Men got to shave but it is not bad, there's warm water.

Breakfast is strong on trimmings like fruit juice, cerial,eggs, bacon, etc, but weak on chops, potatoes,ham, steak, fried eggplant,pie, and other regular food. But tell Walt and Elmer you can always sit by two city boys that live on coffee. Their food plus yours holds you over to lunch when you get to eat again.

Its no wonder these city boys can't walk much. We go on "route marchs", which the platoon sargent says are long walks to harden us. If he thinks so its not my place to tell him differant. A "rooute march" is about as far from the house to the mailbox.

Then the city boys get sore feet and we all ride back in trucks. The country is nice but awful flat.

The sargent is like a school teacher. He nags alot.

The Capt. is like the school board. MAORS AND cOLONALS JUST RIDE AROUND AND FROWN. They don't bother you none.

This next will kill Walt and Elmer with laughing. I keep getting metals for shooting. I don't know why. The bulls-eye is near as big as a chipmunks head and don't move, and it ain't shooting at you like the Higgett boys at home. All you got to do is lie there all comfortable and hit it. You don't even load your own cartridges, They come in boxes.

Then we have what they call hand-to-hand combat training. You get to wrestle with them city boys. I have to be real carful though, they break real easy. It ain't like fighting with that ole bull at home. I'm about the best they got in here except Tug Jorden from over at Silver Lake. I only beat him once. He joined up at the same time as me, but I'm only 5'6" and 130 lbs, and he's 6'4" and weighs near 300 ponds dry.

Be sure to tell Walt and Elmer to hurry and join before other fellers get on to how easy this is and come stampeding in.

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

/

Your loving Daughter

Suzy.

Country boy goes to the city and decides to have breakfast in a restaurant.

He ordered up a big helping of hash browns, 1/2 a dozen eggs, plenty of bacon,

ham, a stack of pancakes with lots of butter and syrup.

A city boy seeing all that food, comes over and says:

"Man -- that stuff will harden your arteries!"

Country boy replies:

"My grand daddy live to be 93 years old".

city boy:

"HOW? By eating like that???

country boy:

"NO!! BY MINDING HIS OWN BUSINESS!"

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller