GreaseSpot Cafe

The MSBlast virus/worm

GarthP2000

Ok folks, for anybody here hearing about this worm that is taking the internet by storm, and wondering if they are affected, here is a good article on how to find out & get rid of it if you are infected.

How to kick a worm's a** icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I haven't been infected (yet), and I think that is largely due to having ZoneAlarm firewall software installed on my machine. And believe you me, this puppy does its job! icon_cool.gif

If this MSBlast incident doesn't convince everybody who uses a computer and accesses the internet to get firewall software (no matter what brand), then you might as well take a baseball bat to your computer.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Just look in your WindowsSystem32 folder and delete the file WindowsSystem32msblast.exe. If it won't let you delete it, open your task manager and kill the msblast.exe process, then delete the file.

No big deal.

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the Word of God..."

Ya know, I think that the little dweeb lozers who write this $hit, who hide behind the excuse of "Well, its your fault 'cuz you had crappy security" or because of their rabid hate against Gates, upon being found out, tried and convicted, need to be dragged out into the public square and ridiculed to no end and have wet stinky things thrown at them. That will cure a lot of their desire to inflict the world with their cybercrap right there.

Why they did away with the stocks I will never know. icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

A virus just one of the offices I work with...

They told me it was ugly!!!

The computer people had everybody dis-connect from the network. Then they had to check and "clean" the file server. Then they were going to each machine.

Oh, by the way. This happened on an Army base where I work. (There are fire walls and other levels of security. But, a virus still got through).

Have you updated your virus software today?

I think the funniest tweak of Microsoft's nose is that a similar buffer-overrun attack has been found for their Xbox game console. Using it, people can run just about anything on their Xbox, including the Linux operating system, and backup copies of their $50 games.

The reason that it's funny is that Microsoft sells the Xbox (which is basically just a 733MHz Celeron PC with 64MB of RAM, a 10GB hard drive, built-in Ethernet, and a great graphics/sound system) at a loss in order to make money on those $50 games. People can buy a dozen Xboxen at $199 each, wipe the hard drives and use them as decent Linux servers at Bill Gates' expense. Best $200 computer on the market! icon_wink.gif;)-->

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the Word of God..."

I will tell you what works very well. A simple home Cable/DSL router. For those of you with either.

The router has basically blocked me from anything coming in, because it makes my PC part of an internal network, and therefore the IP of my computer is not something that can be reached from the outside. The router also has a basic firewall built into it.

I also have Zone Alarm Pro, that has Mail Safe, and pop-up protector. Plus it will stop outbound programs I don't want going out.

Norton takes care of the rest.

Also a neat program called Spy Sweeper. It looks for worms, and other Spyware on your computer. Very cool program!!

So I have not gotten the virus, nor even had any of my ports hit. But just in case last night I had the router block ports 4444, 135, and 69. Which are the ports it looks for.

I am on a cable modem and use Win2K Pro, but I feel extremely protected right now.

Get the router even if you have only one computer. It will take out a lot of stress. Believe me.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"..........but hey, I love to see a good Clothesline once in a while