GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you like this poem?

I found it on a site, I like the start but not the conclusion.

Cast All Your Votes For Dancing

The Dance

I know the voice of depression

Still calls to you.

I know those habits that can ruin your life

Still send their invitations.

But you are with the Friend now

And look so much stronger.

You can stay that way

And even bloom !

Keep squeezing drops of the Sun

From your prayers and work and music

And from your companions' beautiful laughter.

Keep squeezing drops of the Sun

From the sacred hands and glance of your Beloved

And, my dear,

From the most insignificant movements

Of your own holy body.

Learn to recognize the counterfeit coins

That may buy you just a moment of pleasure,

But then drag you for days

Like a broken man

Behind a farting camel.

You are with the Friend now.

Learn what actions of yours delight Him,

What actions of yours bring freedom

And Love.

Whenever you say God's name, dear pilgrim,

My ears wish my head was missing

So they could finally kiss each other

And applaud all your nourishing wisdom !

O keep squeezing drops of the Sun

From your prayers and work and music

And from your companions' beautiful laughter

And from the most insignificant movements

Of your own holy body.

Now, sweet one,

Be wise.

Cast all your votes for Dancing!

Dot,

It's almost as if the Him is part of the holy body of the you.

I find it leading towards self worship.

It's easily entreated because self searching appeals to some of us doesn't it dear Dot. But as you said it changed. And then what drew me in was dangerous thinking. Or so it was upon first read.

Very interesting! Thank you for bringing it here.

(sorry I put the wrong name in here, you are both wonderful women)

Edited by ChattyKathy

To me it feels like the author spent more time coloring his/her point than trying to express him/herself. As if this were done for a class final or something...the mechanics of the thing being more important than the message of the thing.

It's disjointed and forced...making it unreal to me.

Kinda like going to a $150 per plate fundraiser in the 'fight against poverty and hunger'.

Just isn't quite congruous.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh, I don't know - I liked the farting camel simile. Disjointed tone there, yes, yet aptly expressive of what it feels like to allow yourself to sell your true self for counterfeit coins. I think the poem is perhaps designedly disjointed throughout to effectively convey the contrasting flow of the dance with the ruin of deceitful habits - so that the reader receives a visceral and tactile sense of the wisdom and the need to "cast ALL your votes for dancing.

I think the spirituality of the Friend metaphor may be East Indian - Hindu - in nature. Perhaps that grates against our sensibilities.

I also think the verse about wishing ones head was missing is purposefully made to be jarring to the reader who is expecting the feel of the flow of the dance to prevail in the poem, but that just gives the verse all the more impact. Our heads STILL get in the way of the wisdom of the dance, and the author wants to convey that all the votes haven't been cast yet, so there is instability.

Edited by Tom

unh unh nadda

even what I can "hear", I have heard said better

umm umm mudda

I imagine so.

But isn't that always the case? The fastest gun always finds someone faster. I guess saying you've heard better is your nice way of saying that it wasn't said well.

Perhaps you're right. I'm obviously outnumbered here everyone else to one.

I still think that perhaps the author doesn't care if you think that it is said well. No, that's not right; the author does care if you think it is said well, but not in the traditional sense. The author purposefully makes the words flow better where the sense to be communicated is of the dance flowing and purposefully chops the flow of words where the theme turns on the incompleteness of our perception of the flow of the dance.

There seems to be too much of a match up between the flow of those two contrasting themes and the language. I don't know; maybe it's my imagination.

Much that is poetic is not designed to be liked.

Okay - warning: the rest of this moves even more towards rambling.

I went to a concert to see The Band (the band called The Band) play once with an excellent musician friend. I kept noticing the mistakes that they were making. Upon my pointing out a few of those mistakes to my friend, he said that I was missing the music. Everyone makes mistakes when they play, but there was music worth hearing happening. So, I listened & enjoyed the music as much as I could.

Last week I rented "The Last Waltz," a DVD about The Band. It basically traces about 3 decades of their music. As I watch & listen to it, I can't help but think that , after all these years, I basically really don't think that they are as good as many others I've heard (faster guns if you will).

Were it not for that fact that they are playing with many other excellent musicians - such as Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, and many others of "equal calibre," I don't think that I would be enjoying the DVD near as much as I am.

Now here's the thing. My excellent musician friend, Eric Clapton et al think The Band is worth listening to and spending time playing with. Again, it's everyone else against me - only the other way around - & I can't hope to qualify to tune their instruments. Don't get me wrong, I like listening to The Band, I just dont feel them as much as others do, and I don't feel them as I do others.

So, what does all this rambling mean?

Ramblin' meaning is just so random, dog. Meaning can be mean.

don't get all up in someone's grill, cause their ride seems whack

be straight chillaxin in your cribset

i'm just tryin to represent. aite?

gotta mob.

peace out,

t

Edited by Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I also loved the begining:

I know the voice of depression

Still calls to you.

(I have heard the voice beckon throughout my life and when I think I have beaten it -- it speaks again)

I know those habits that can ruin your life

Still send their invitations.

(Again, things I have left behind sometimes present themselves again. And although I have walked away from the table I do recall when I did whatever bad thing it was and for a brief moment recall the pleasure of whatever sin presents itself.)

But you are with the Friend now

And look so much stronger.

(I kinda get lost here)

Then it goes into the coin thing and I do relate to that. I have been purchased with couterfiet coins -- like TWI.