GreaseSpot Cafe

Cassette to Digital

topoftheworld

As with a lot of these kinds of things I suggest letting professionals do it for you. They do it for a living. There are probably many but here is one I found on Google. Seems reasonable.

Tape to Digital

Rates: For regular cassette tapes, our basic rate is $15 to convert the first tape to digital and $5 for each additional tape. For microcassettes, the rate is $15 for the first tape and $10 for each additional tape. Creating an audio CD is an additional $5. Most audio enhancement projects range from $20 to $75, depending on the task.

for recording

i've tryed to turn vhs and 8mm to digital

gotta have a very powerful computer imo

tryed on a p4 1.8

haven't tryed on my pentium d 3.0 yet though

there were a lot of skipped frames and the sound was not tracking

these are the addons to do it with

i have winfast expert 2000

use it for tv and my sons xbox live

which does well for that

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...|c:1427|&Sort=2

I have no problems with my VHS, since I have Media Center. What I would like to is figure out a way to patch my music through the VHS or TV: nothing I've tried seems to work. (Older stereo system.) There's a casstte drive out there with mixed reviews, but I'd have to sacrifice a DVD drive to get it in. Oh, well!

Depends on what you mean by inexpensive, TOTW. I would recommend Musicmatch. You run a mini plug from your tape player (with a 'y' connector) to the jack on your computer soundboard, then you can define which source you're recording. I plan to do all my tapes this way (once I have the time, of course :biglaugh: )

Edited by Sushi

I've been able to connect a casstte to the soundboard jack, and play through the desktop speakers, but no program is recognizing the input. I even reconfigured the jacks to input: I tried setting it up as a mic: nothing works. It's like it's bypassing the motherboard and going straight to output.

EZ cd creator platnium ($80-$100?) has a program that is designed to record tape or records and then clean them up. It is called sound stream. EZ cd creator does a whole lot more as well. To record tapes I use an Iriver mp3 player recorder. This is the current model Iriver t-10 but there are many other mp3 player recorders out there

I've been able to connect a casstte to the soundboard jack, and play through the desktop speakers, but no program is recognizing the input. I even reconfigured the jacks to input: I tried setting it up as a mic: nothing works. It's like it's bypassing the motherboard and going straight to output.

I ran into this a few years ago. You might try this:

Click on your Windows "Volume Control" > "Options" > "Properties"

and in the properties box, you'll be given the choice of "Adjust Volume" for "Playback" or

"Recording"...click on "Recording" and then "OK".

Then open up the recording prog that you"re going to use to record your cassettes.

Also, be certain to select "line" (or "line in") for your recording and not "mic".

Danny

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

Ding Ding Ding Ding...we have a winner!!!

Using Music Match and the clues from Dan, I have managed to record directly from a cassette. It's coming out mono, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel. (Don't tell anyone, but it's the Pressed Down Medley from the JN 10th Anniversary-that was my tester. I love it so I knew I wouldn't lose patience. Smashing Pumpkin's just didn't seem right.)

Now I've got to pick through my selected casstte's and find the ones that don't squeal.

Yippee!!! Thanks, everyone.

Very true-except that I have twenty plus years of tapes which have bounced around in moving vans and car carriers: let alone ashes, coke, and beer sprinkled generously throughout.

Believe, I deserve the pain I have thrust upon myself. But only for the stuff that's not available anywhere else.

Thanks.

Not a silly question, and no, they probably are not. Doesn't seem to matter: I get mono only as I am recording: during playback-I get stereo.

The real test will be when I burn it: then I'll see what kind of quality I have.

I set the songs up a WMA instead of WAV: seems to play pretty well.

Next challenge: how to share selected tunes, like to people here, since I don't have a web site.

If you want to really "mix" your recordings, there is a program called Kristal that is free and really good recording software. I used it for a long time before I broke down and bought Cubase.

And yeah, if you need some space for your files, Private Message me and I'll hook you up.

Rick