GreaseSpot Cafe

How a Church SHOULD perform

Belle

From the church I currently frequent:

LAITY COUNCIL UNANIMOUSLY APPROVES PARSONAGE STUDY TEAM RECOMMENDATION

The Laity Council at their regularly scheduled meeting on Monday evening, March 13th approved by unanimous vote the proposal by the Parsonage Study Team to move forward on finalizing a proposal to a Church Conference to sell the two church owned parsonages and move to an annual housing allowance for the pastors. After a presentation on the intensive work and investigation of this proposed change by the Study Team, and the conclusion that it is financially neutral to the church incurring no additional expenses to the budget, nor will it in future years, the Laity Council voted to move the proposal forward to a church vote. The recommendations still must go through an approval process by the District, but that is expected to take place within the next couple of weeks. A date for a church-wide conference will be set for some time in late April where all church members will be allowed to discuss and vote on the proposal. In the meantime, materials will be made available to help answer any questions that you might have about this transition. The Study Team will also make itself available in the weeks to come to meet with church members after morning worship services to answer any questions or concerns that you might have. This is an open process. Please feel free to call any of the members on the Study Team, or email or call me. Your opinion is very important and we want to insure that all points of view are being respected. I am asking that you please pass this information along to anyone who does not receive the Pastor’s Weekly Email. Information and “Q&A” sheets on the project will be available on the table in the church Narthex beginning this Sunday.

Parsonage Study Team Members:

Pcccccc, Lay Leader

Pccccccccccccccc Staff Parish Chair

Dccccccccc, Finance

Lcccccccccccc, Trustees

Ncccccccccccccccccc, Church Administrator

Pccccccccccccccc, Trustees and Study Team Chair

PARSONAGE PROJECT QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

1) Why is Asbury considering selling our parsonages and implementing housing allowances for our pastors?

There is a trend in the United Methodist Church in general and in our own Florida Conference in particular in moving from church ownership of parsonages for our appointed pastors to a comparable housing allowance. This is gently being encouraged by our Conference, and they have established a protocol for local churches to follow in considering just such a step.

2) What are the advantages for our pastors?

The proposed change allows pastors to have a more permanent “home of their own” rather than sometimes being perceived or thinking of themselves as “guests” in the church’s home.

A housing allowance allows pastors to select a home that is consistent with the size and needs of their family. It means that pastors can determine the location of their homes. The location of a spouse’s employment and/or the school district that best fits the needs of the pastoral family may be factors in this decision. A housing allowance permits pastoral families to decorate and furnish their homes in a manner consistent with their own style and tastes.

A housing allowance can enable pastors to start building equity for the future. Asbury has been very fortunate in having had appointed Senior Pastors who may very well serve out the remaining time of their active service with us. The parsonage system presents a problem for them at the end of their tenure as they then must move on to a home for the retirement years with no equity to put towards its purchase. IRS rules on housing allowances for pastors make it much more advantageous for them to own their own homes.

3) What are the advantages for our church?

In addition to being consistent with our strong desire to implement housing arrangements which further the best interests of our pastors, the proposal would eliminate the following issues:

a) The costs of maintaining a parsonage are considerable and do not always enhance the sales value of the parsonage. While the true market cost of maintaining Asbury’s parsonages has been substantially “hidden” due to the work of dedicated volunteers, we should not rely on these conditions continuing indefinitely.

(b) Needs for major parsonage maintenance/repair/replacement often are unbudgeted and challenge our church finances.

© As parsonages deteriorate over time, we could face a huge financial investment to remodel an existing parsonage or to sell an existing parsonage and purchase a better one.

(d) If the Annual Conference adopts new parsonage standards that raise mandatory expectations, we may find that upgrading a parsonage does not make economic sense.

(e) We typically paint, plaster, tile, recarpet, and otherwise renovate for each new Pastor and his/her family – repairs that go beyond what most homeowners would do on a regular basis.

(4) What is the process that must be undertaken to consider such a change?

There are many steps required by our Annual Conference if a local church wishes to consider changing from parsonages to housing allowances. In keeping with these protocols, the Laity Council established a Study Team consisting of the Lay Leader and representatives from the Board of Trustees, the Staff-Parish Relations Committee and the Finance Committee. The Study Team undertook a very deliberate study of the financial feasibility of such a proposal and presented their findings at the March meeting of the Laity Council. The Laity Council unanimously approved the recommendations of the Study Team. The proposal next must be presented to two committees at the District level (District Committee on Clergy Housing and District Committee on Church Location). Assuming that these committees approve, a meeting would be scheduled for the congregation to have additional questions addressed. Following this, a Church Conference would be called to enable all of Asbury’s members to vote on the proposal.

(5) Who will make the final decision?

If the proposal is approved by the appropriate District committees, the Discipline of the United Methodist Church requires that a Church Conference be called and that all members of the church be allowed to vote on the proposal. We are a democratic organization, and we believe that all members should have a voice in the direction of their church.

(6) How is the value of the parsonages being determined?

This is being determined in much the same way as any of us would set a selling price for our home. The Study Team has reviewed market analyses for each of the parsonages provided by a well-established real estate company, and additional studies were commissioned from an independent residential property appraiser. Asbury has been very blessed in that we have had these professional services provided without cost to the church.

In our financial analysis, the Study Team has used the average of the two estimates which we have received for each of the parsonages. While we believe that such a conservative approach is most appropriate for analytical purposes, the resulting figure will not be the price at which we will offer the properties for sale as we will strive to obtain the highest sale price possible for each parsonage.

(7) How is the dollar amount for the housing allowances being established?

Housing allowances are a component of pastoral compensation and officially are recommended to a church’s Annual Charge Conference by the Staff-Parish Relations Committee. However, the Study Team needed to suggest housing allowance amounts for our financial analysis. The Annual Conference has detailed guidelines for the local church in setting the housing allowances.

The primary factors considered by the Study Team in proposing a housing allowance are “pure” housing costs and the costs for utilities, lawn service, and insurance which are currently being paid for the pastors while in the parsonages. Prevailing rental rates for homes, condos, and apartments in the general area have been used to establish housing costs. We have used the utilities/lawn service costs in Asbury’s 2006 budget. Finally, we have approximated property/liability insurance rates based on actual experience by Study Team members.

In addition, the Study Team reviewed data on actual housing allowances currently in place throughout the Florida Conference and has considered input from our own District.

(8) How do we know that such a step makes financial sense for our church?

The financials of the proposed change has been the primary focus for the Study Team and was a major consideration of the Laity Council. Likewise, it will be a primary concern at the District committees and ultimately at the Church Conference. All of us are committed to keeping our church budget in line with our income.

The Study Team’s detailed analysis appears to indicate that such a change would be financially neutral to our church. How have we arrived at this conclusion? First, the rules of the United Methodist Church indicate that the proceeds from the sales of our parsonages may only be used for certain restricted purposes. Thus we have assumed that the net proceeds from the parsonage sales would be set aside as an “endowment” and placed in long-term investment accounts, the interest on which would significantly fund the housing allowances. Next, we have considered monies which our church would not be spending if we no longer owned parsonages. These include costs for utilities/lawn service, insurance, maintenance, upgrades, and the like. Our conclusion is that the total funds available each year exceed the proposed housing allowances. Recognizing as well that housing allowances likely would change over time, we have sought to use highly conservative assumptions throughout our analysis.

Based on our analysis, we have concluded that the proceeds from the sale of the parsonages and the savings resulting from monies that would not be spent will fund the proposed housing allowances.

(9) If this proposal is approved, what would be the timing of the sales of the parsonages?

Our goal would be to place the parsonages on the market for the prime selling season of late spring to early summer.

(10) How do our pastors feel about this project?

Our pastors have been informed regularly on the progress of this project, and both are highly desirous of such a change.

The transparency is a marked difference between how this Methodist church runs and how TWI ran.

I, frankly, don't agree with the decision made by the members of this council, but the fact that the decision is being done in a transparent fashion is an important feature and something that could be emulated by more groups.

The other issue to note is that the pastors here appears to be employees. They are being informed and are desireous of a change. This also is a marked difference between TWI and this Methodist Church. (Having said that, I thought the Methodist Church ran like the Episcopal Church...that is that the clergy was appointed by and located by the bishop of the area...so that is educational for me)

One thing I don't like seeing, however, is that apparently the issues raised are apparently based upon financial concerns and no mention is made of the impact on the pastor's vocation to shepherd his flock, even an assurance that it will make little or no difference. Suppose the pastor chooses to locate in a house 20 miles from the church? He may be happy to endure a commute every day, but what if there is an emergency requiring his presence (e.g., if a parishoner is dying and calls for his/her pastor, a situation calling for some crisis counselling, or whatever)? Presumably the parsonage is located very near the church, which one would assume is pretty well in the center of the parish. This may not be the case if the parson moves his parsonage a good distance away. (caveat: I realize that this may not be an issue in smaller towns, but in larger cities it could very well be an issue). Now maybe Methodists don't really pay much attention to their pastors with the exception of funerals, weddings, and Sunday services, I don't know. But I always had the impression that clergy had sort of a 24X7 responsibility.

So, Belle, you asked>>>>>>>

Mark, number 1, the district supertendent makes that decision primarily with consent from the bishop in UMC, 2. clergy no longer are moved about every 5 years(been lawsuits by pastors and congregations for such meddling into the local affairs unless doctrine or morality is involved). Districts are like deaniries in RC(sometimes called convocations) with charges being congregations in each county/city. Suggest you buy Handbook on denominations in US, 12th edition from Abingdon Press(Cokesbury in Nashville).

The transparency is a marked difference between how this Methodist church runs and how TWI ran.

I, frankly, don't agree with the decision made by the members of this council, but the fact that the decision is being done in a transparent fashion is an important feature and something that could be emulated by more groups.

I, also, think it's a refreshing change from the way TWI keeps TWIts in the dark like mushrooms. They won't even answer questions when you ask about things. Their definition of keeping their people informed "from soup to nuts" is definitely different from the rest of the world's.

This church has so much transparency that it's a major adjustment for me. They print the budget in the weekly newsletter they provide. It tells how many people were at church last week and how that compares to a year ago. They tell how much money they received and how that compares to a year ago, as well as how that affects the budget - e.g. if there is a surplus or deficit and how much.

They have committees made up of volunteers to assess and investigate issues and decisions as they come up and the committee provides the information for the rest of the church and, as you see in the letter, there is an open meeting for all congregants to come listen, share their views, etc. and vote.

I don't know much about the Methodist religion being raised Southern Baptist, but I do so like the church, the sermons, the many things they do in the community, with other churches and on their own. Everyone is so kind and it seems to be a genuine kindness, not the fake syrupy sweet saccharine kindness of TWI.

I've been able to share and ask questions (sometimes hard questions) without offending people. If I seem to disagree with something they say, then I'm allowed to share that too - and I have, but not in an offensive way and not in a way that derails or detracts from the meeting. I'm still welcome and still treated just as nicely as everyone else is. :) We discuss things - what a concept! Sometimes I change my mind or we just move on.

They have a website that's state of the art, imo, and shockingly so since it is a pretty small church. The sermons are e-mailed to me each week and I can watch the sermon from the previous services on the web by Monday morning.

They just do so many things right! It's exciting to me and the doctrinal issues are so minor and since I'm re-evaluating everything anyway, it's not a big deal. *shrug* The love of God is there and very evident. People are truly happy, blessed, free and living the more abudant life better than I ever saw in TWI.

Thanks Belle........I always read your posts. :)

What a "night & day" difference than how veepee structured things. The damage done continues from generation to generation......until someone with some business smarts and ethical protocols takes the helm. I'm not holding my breath, though.

:spy:

I love how the United Methodists operate!!!!

Another big difference between the UMC and twi is the UMC's slogan: Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors.

The UMC means it!

Oh! Another difference between the UMC and twi is the UMC shows 'the love of God'...and doesn't just give it lip service on the behind of leadershi+ like in twi. Outside of Catholic Charities/Catholic Social Services, the UMC does more for the communities in which their churches are located than twi has ever done for anybody.

Can you tell I love the UMC? :D

Thanks, Mark. :)

I'm really surprised that I'm still going, since, as a lot of former wayfers I'm sure, I went in looking for a reason to quit going. <_< I still haven't found one. :biglaugh:

The ministers ARE real. They share their foibles, idiosyncracies and everyday challenges that so many of us can relate to. They laugh, they have fun, they're just real live down to earth people who love God and His people. They love what they do and it shows.

edited to add: I can't recall standing when they enter a room, either. ;)

Edited by Belle

The Lutheran Church I have been checking out recently has congregational members vote on important decisions as well. Works for me even tho I am not a member and don't vote. They also have several discussion meetings regarding the upcoming vote before it is taken. Plenty of time for everyone to get all the facts and mull it over. Not every member is required to vote either. Only if they want to. Also works for me after seeing twi mandate stuff for people.