GreaseSpot Cafe

Ro*tel

Belle

I know a lot of you cook with Ro*tel and I just wanted to share my new little find....

With this beautiful weather I got a craving for my favorite Corn Salad. It's made with white shoepeg corn, fresh maters, green onions, may, salt & pepper....all "to taste". :)

Well, I'm out of maters and found I didn't have any onions or mayo, BUT I have the necessary cans of Ro*tel in my pantry and a bottle of Ranch Dressing. :biglaugh:

I mixed one can of white shoepeg corn, one can of Ro*tel tomatoes (partially drained) and a squirt of Ranch Dressing. YUMMY!!

EX10, I know you offered me a recipe down in the Doctrinal Basement and I seriously meant to follow up with you to get the recipe. I'd still love to have it, along with any others you care to share. :)

Anyone else have a favorite recipe with Ro*tel tomatoes, or not, that you want to share?

They have some good recipes on the main site, too: Rotel Main Page

Ron's Surprise

A Scout camp favorite

Get a deep skillet or dutch oven and put some grease in it. Get it hot over the fire.

Cut up some okra and let it fry, stirring it around until it's really, really dry and a little brown. Toss a chopped onion in and let it saute with some bell pepper.

Put some course ground meat (or stew meat) in and then let that brown.

Toss in some corn, chopped celery, chopped carrots, a can of Ranch Style Beans (If they don't come in a can with a black label that says "Ranch Style" or "Texas Style" and are made in Ft. Worth, TX, they aren't fit for human consumption...unless maybe you can get Trappey's made in Louisiana which is almost as good), Ro Tel tomatoes and a can or two of beef broth.

If your troop is REAL adventurous, toss in some Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning (green can) to taste.

Get it all boiling over the fire, then add some rice. Raise it up higher over the fire to reduce the heat, cover it and make the boys clean up the mess, the let them play "capture the flag" for about 20 minutes or so, then make them clean up.

Top it with some grated cheese and serve with fresh dutch oven biscuits.

Edited by Ron G.

Belle, I first was introduced to Ro*tel as a wow in Santa Fe, NM. A lady I worked for gave me my first Ro*tel recipe. Since then, over 10 years ago, I always have at least one can in my pantry. I found that recipe on their site so I've pasted it below.

Thanks for bringing their site to my attention. I see several recipes I've tried, but lots more that I haven't. New recipes are an exciting adventure, as we learned somewhere in our common pasts - LOL

(I can't stand cream of mushroom soup so I use cream of chicken.)

Original RO*TEL Recipe KING RANCH CHICKEN

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup margarine
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can (10 oz.) RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
  • 12 corn tortillas, torn into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large saucepan, cook pepper and

onion in melted margarine until tender, about 5 minutes. Add soups,

RO*TEL and chicken, stirring until well blended. In a 13 x 9 x 2-inch

baking pan, alternately layer tortillas, soup mixture and cheese, repeating

for three layers. Bake 40 minutes or until hot and bubbling. Serves 8.

Ron, I LOVE Tony's!!! Only I call it "Tony Cracker's" :biglaugh: Long embarrassing story, but the name has stuck...... :redface2:

The Campfire Surprise sounds awesome!! I'll give it a try. Thanks! :)

David, do you miss them? I might could trade....say, a CD of my favorite Fiddle Picker for a package of Rotel.... :wink2:

Cool, yours will be in the mail tomorrow. No chef should be denied the culinary ecstacy of Rotel tomatoes in their repetoire. :spy:

Oak, what's your favorite way to use 'em?

BOWTWI, I LOVE that recipe (and I only use cream of chicken, too :P )

When the hankering gets to be irresistable, I make a batch of the Rotel Cheese Dip and use it on everything I cook for a week - and I do mean, EVERYTHING!!!

Well -- I guess the *frozen northland* isn't so frozen after all, with Rotel's to heat it up. Went to a different grocery store today (with some of my new *clients*), and lo and behold --- Rotel's was there. Now I just have to get me some, and give it a try.

They were selling 3 cans for $2.50. Is that high, low, or a normal price??

Edited by dmiller

I'm making King Ranch Chicken for supper. Never made this one before, but all the girls at work rave about it. :D

Belle, I love the taco soup recipe on the Rotel website. It's easy to throw in the crock pot. I always make cornbread to go with it. The kids love it.

So --- $2.50 for three cans is too much?

:redface2: Important detail I missed...."for three cans". I read $2.50 per can! :blink:

No, that's about right.

Have you cooked anything with it yet?

Linda, do you use the Extra Hot or the Original? I've found that I normally use 1 can of one and 1 semi-drained can of another in place of each "1 can" called for in recipes. 2 cans is a wee bit too much, but draining some of the juice from one usually works.

I'm going to have to try the King Ranch Chicken now, between you and BOWTWI recommending it, I feel I'm missing out! :biglaugh:

LOL, JL! I *wish* it was a fun story like that but, alas, I could swear my mother always called it "Tony Crackers" and I never really paid attention to the name other than to recognize it and buy it. We use it all the time - have for eons.

One week-end while visiting my Cajun relatives in LA, we were eating breakfast and I asked my Great Uncle to pass the "Tony Crackers". He just smiled and asked me to repeat what I wanted. I knew right then I had said something wrong but had no clue what.... The whole table busted into giggling and they made me say it again - "Tony Crackers". By then they were busting a gut laughing so hard.

I told them it's what Mama called it and swore up and down it was the "common" name for it among us non-Cajuns. Tried desperately to defend myself..... :redface2:

Later that week-end when my parents showed up, we all asked my mom what she called it.

She said, "Oh, I just call it 'Tony's'" ^_^

Me: Are you sure? You dont' call it something else? :unsure:

Mom: No. I don't know how to say all those Cajun names, so I just call it "Tony's". Everybody knows what I'm talking about, so why bother with trying to say that last name?

So now the whole family teases me about it, but I am my Father's child and so I still call it "Tony Crackers". :biglaugh:

Our first experience with Ro*tel was last year.

We like refried beans, and serve it frequently for just about any meal. Our Sam's Club has a LARGE package of the Ro*tel original diced tomatoes & green chilies. It seemed like a good pantry item...

Refried beans can get boring, so while looking in the pantry, thinking about 'how' to make those beans more interesting, this family favorite was born~

2 one pound cans refried beans

1 10oz can Ro*tel original (juice too)

Mix, Heat & enjoy!.... :dance:

Wonderful as a dip, over eggs, on toast, with other veggies, stuffed in celery sticks or lettuce leaves, drizzled over nachos, layered with rice in stuffed peppers,... my favorite is a slice of tomatoe, bean mixture and a jalapeno on top!

The first time we all were wondering what was so dang HOT!

5 out of 6 of us love it.... the 5 year old just has a nibble or two :)

Another camp favorite...Breakfast Burritos.

A bout 1/2 cup chorizo (Mexican sausage obtainable at most Wally Worlds) cooked up real good with about half an onion diced up. When that's done )onions properly cooked), add a can of drained Ro*Tel maters, then add some cumin to taste. Let all that cook up for a little bit until it kinda dries out, then add 6 eggs and scramble them in it.

Take some and wrap it up in a flour totrilla, burrito style, and then fry it in a pan of grease like a little fried pie. Top with grated cheese and serve with some fresh sliced tomato garnished with cilantro and some freshly chopped jalapeno.

Makes a wonderful breakfast,

For lunch, do the same thing, only instead of eggs, use frijoles refrito (refried beans) mixed with grated cheese and top with sour cream.

The breakfast burritos won't make your cat fart, but I don't know about the lunch recipe.