GreaseSpot Cafe

Military Outreach articles from 1979

Linda Z

I've never posted a shameless (or even a shameful) plug for old twi items I've put up for sale on e-bay, but it occurred to me that some of you ex-twi military folks might be interested in these.

Each newsletter (there are 4) has a Military Outreach article (most by $teve Axtell, one by Paul Norcro$$).

I think the twi stuff on e-bay gets plenty of traffic without our mentioning it here, but I thought perhaps someone would find these useful or nostalgic or something.

coolchef, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't even thought about anyone here wanting them until after I'd posted them on ebay. Trust me, I've sold other twi stuff on ebay and never said a peep about it on GS. It just dawned on me that maybe some of the people who were involved in Military Outreach might find them interesting.

I'm selling them because I'm cleaning out my office and selling lots of things to pay for the repair of an aging bathroom wall (which, sadly, is crumbling into dust).

If I thought anyone needed these things, I'd gladly give them away, but since this is just something someone might want, they're free to bid on them. I doubt they'll set anyone back much cash. :wink2:

Hi Littlehawk!

I flipped through all these God's Word in Culture newsletters twice and didn't see those lyrics, or I'd post 'em for you.

If you have any old ROA tapes or albums, the song might be on one of them. If I run across anything, I'll let you know.

Hi Linda!!! I have all of the old Military Outrach Letters also

I can't say that I am familiar with these items.

What kinds of things are in them?

Perhaps we knew each other once upon a time. I lived in the Way Home where Steve, Paul and many others took PFAL for the first time. ...

Cool.

I spoke with Paul Norcross once on the phone.

I think they were all in Virginia weren't they?

:)

Galen, I cut and pasted the article titles:

January 1979

Faithfulness by W. Kay Voorhees

Inspiration from God by Beth Lowder

Believing Is Action by John Blake

A Dream Come True by Ann Carli

Self-Reliance by Ellie Wilson

Meet Your Word in Culture Staff at The Way International

International High School Month Coming up by Mark Carli

Steppingstones or Stumbling Blocks by Vivian McCulloch

The Word Sounded Out by Steve Axtell

Putting God First Equals Success by Tom West

April 1979

What Is Success? by Ken Klug

The Purpose of Word in Fine Arts by Beth Lowder

Inspiration from God by Bob Winegarner

Corporately Born Again by Sue Pierce

The Funnel Effect by Steve Axtell

How to Eat Best When Away from Home by Vivian McCulloch

Word in Business and Profession Conference Report

Clearly Marked Goals, Not Wishful Thinking by Paul Norcross

Victory for the Called of God (no byline—prison outreach, so probably Tom West)

Not Flea-Conditioned by Greg Cole

Maintain Action in Education by Mark Carli

Healing Arts Outreach by Judy Halliday

July 1979

Hope: The Anchor of Our Souls by Dr. Fritz Winegarner

The USA: Bond or Free? by Steve Axtell

How to Achieve Success by Sue Pierce

This Is It: WOW by Franklin Smith

Lightbearers (re: ballet presented at AC ’79) by Elena Whiteside

How to Get Involved in the Word in Fine Arts by Bob Winegarner

What Do I Want to Be When I Grow Up by Mark Carli

Your Personal Walk of Healing by Ann Carli

First Goal—Outreach by John Blake

Old Glory (poem) by Steve Axtell

Maintain Freedom in America by Tom West

October 1979

Spiritual Pioneers on an African Frontier by Thomas Shaver

Word in Business and Profession Seminar in Ireland by Bill Clark

On the Move in Chile by Jorge Hitschfeld

Three Steps to Knowing You Do by Sue Pierce

The Word in Marriage Counseling by Mark Carli

Motivation: Fear or Love? by Jack Clifford

PFAL in French by Tom Knupp

Wow, looks like Paul's been busy writing books.

Thanks, mstar. The bathroom is my money pit. I already paid to have some of drywall replaced once, and now the patched area is falling apart again. What's that about putting old cloth on a new garment?? So now I need to pay someone to put in new drywall all around the tub and quit monkeying around with baling wire and chewing gum. Home ownership: Not for sissies!

Hi Linda Z

I know that some of the TWI things that people have sold on Ebay have sold pretty well. Hope that the items you have sell good for you.

And hey Littlehawk, glad to see you posting again. And yes TWI did put a 45 record of "The Band Of Gold" with another song on the flip side as well of the person that recorded "The Band Of Gold".

I had a chance to get one of the records at a Limb meeting here in Iowa when I was still 'In', but when they were giving out the old items that the limb wasn't going to sell any more, I think that they had 4 to 6 of the 45's, I raised my hand to get ome of the copies but the copies went to branch leaders and twig leaders that the Limb leader knew.

If you post a seperate topic about a copy of the 45 maybe someone might be able to get you a copy of the song burnt off to a CD.

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

Cool, it looks like for a short period of time someone was very busy.

During 1979, we had a family of Military-WOWs on my sub [on the other crew]. I wonder if any of them knew about "Military Outreach Letters". During my 'off-crew' periods I roomed in a boarding house, in a room that one of the military-WOWs used during his 'off-crew' periods. Even though we shared the same boat, I did not meet the WOWs until after their WOW year. [whenever I was underwater, they were in port. and when they were underwater I was in port.]

During that time frame we must have had believers on half of the boats home-ported in Groton. One boat even ran PFAL classes entirely underwater, and another ran a PFAL class partially under-ice.

But there was not any coordination or organization to us at that time. No WC or 'leadership' beyond ourselves.

Galen (BTW - HAPPY BIRTHDAY),

Yeah, I was pretty involved with military outreach too. I heard about that sub, North pole class. Wasn't that the one where the whole ship was to be totally silent, but the memo never got to those running the class? I heard that someone who was endevoring to locate the sub (I guess during an exercise) reported that, although he couldn't hear the sub, he did hear some preacher teaching the Bible. Pretty funny.

Paul Norcross - I just cannot imagine anyone having a bad thing to say about him. That man changed my life for the better! He was terrific and inspiring! All my best to him and his family!

Edited by Patriot

Galen (BTW - HAPPY BIRTHDAY),

Yeah, I was pretty involved with military outreach too. I heard about that sub, North pole class. Wasn't that the one where the whole ship was to be totally silent, but the memo never got to those running the class? I heard that someone who was endevoring to locate the sub (I guess during an exercise) reported that, although he couldn't hear the sub, he did hear some preacher teaching the Bible. Pretty funny.

Lots of cool stories came out of having so many believers on boats.

If sonar picks up an enemy combatant nearby and 'patrol-quite' needs to be shifted to 'ultra-quite' it is done via the sound-powered phones to all watch-standers. Maintenance being done by off-watch personnel is halted and they are sent to bed. We look around to ensure that nobody is wearing hard-soled shoes [but realistically nobody does anyway]. Only watch-standers know about it, but it is assumed that as they 'see' others they will tell them. The issue is that if someone is using the library, for a 'private' ceremony or worship service, they will not hear about the shift to 'ultra-quite', there are no watch-standers in the ship's library. Boats are normally rather quite places anyway.

'underwater comms' mangles the sounds of speech a lot. some syllables will echo, others will not. Experienced 'underwater phones' operators speak in a rhythm, one syllable at a time, slow and distinct. Otherwise it gets garbled and nobody can understand. Unless someone was speaking in that kind of speech, and it was amplified through the hull, it would be difficult to imagine it being understood onboard another vessel.

... Paul Norcross - I just cannot imagine anyone having a bad thing to say about him. That man changed my life for the better! He was terrific and inspiring! All my best to him and his family!

Great I am sorry that I missed him, perhaps if I had stayed on active-duty a bit longer I would have eventually met the man.