GreaseSpot Cafe

What does it take to change your mind?

...I refused to go AGAIN to the hospital for the same round of treatments that were not working. On the phone line she sat with me....quietly listening to my gasps for breath life.

Then she said, "...quit fighting it. Can you quit fighting it?"

I thought, "But then I am giving in....that's not right. How can I give in?"

She continued, "...can you embrace the attack? I know that sounds strange...but just try to embrace it. I will be right here if you need me...Excerpt from the chapter "The Goodness of God: From Suffering to Glory":

The goal of avoiding heartache is both impossible and undesirable. It is impossible because we live in a fallen world and are fundamentally flawed beings--as Genesis 3, one of the foundational passages of the Bible, teaches. Perfection is reserved for heaven; while we live, we will be both the vehicles and the recipients of unrighteous emotions. This is not a warrant to justify our internal ugliness, but it clears the air of any overly optimistic assessment of human ability.

The goal to avoid anguish is undesirable because our dark emotions have a redemptive side (although this fact does not make them any less painful). Though tainted in our expression of them, they nonetheless reflect the character of God. They have the power to vocalize our deepest cry--and when that cry is uttered before God, our hearts are exposed and transformed as we glimpse His heart for us."

=

Wow, Bagpipes - that's very different than the way many of us dealt with things while in TWI, thinking how I used to ignore feelings, denial of reality, don't think about certain things, not being reflective, trying to be perfect, etc....Amazing post - thanks for sharing that stuff!

Edited by T-Bone

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Bagpipes I'm glad you had the break through and are alive with us today...

I have a lung disease along with asthma which can cause severe asthma symptoms, to the point that h2o levels become low...then you pass out. My pulmonary doc would never say to just give into it. I can't imagine having a doctor (was it a pulmonary doc?)that would do that. Sounds dangerous, even deadly.

Glad it all worked out for you, but if I should have a severe attack that I can't handle with home equiptment, I'm off to the hospital. Breathing treatments, oxygen, some steroids...I can live with those.

I'm not at all sure I would survive hours and hours of a severe attack and don't plan to find out. One hour with home medicine(nebulizer etc) is all I'm willing to give. I really hope someone out there with severe asthma doesn't try to ignore medical advice.

(((((((((((Bramble))))))))))) :cryhug_1_:

I don't want to derail the thread...so will be very brief. Please understand that what I shared is not medical advice...it was my particular situation. And know too that there is MUCH MORE to the brief paragraph that follows....but I do not want to derail the thread.

I deeply empathize with you. Please note in my posts that NOTHING was working for me...not drugs, not steroids, not intravenous drugs or steroids, not natural stuff. I had many "experts" in the field of allergies, immune disorders, and pulmonary docs that worked with me through the years. I had over 3000 doses of steroids, not including intravenous steroids. Plus I received many other treatments, including experimental treatments from Great Britain and Switzerland. The lady that helped me at this point was my homeopath, who was working with me at the same time I was working with my medical docs. My medical docs knew this and had no problem with it.....what they were doing wasn't working so they couldn't fault me. So, it was not foolish in the way it was handled. At that point I had been through so many years of illness trauma...with little relief...that I was ready to give up. Again I DEEPLY empathize with you and totally understand your viewpoint.

Thanks for you care and concern. And note...this is not medical advice....it is just one woman's experience in a given situation.

Much love....

Bramble...still thinking about what you wrote. To clarify, the reason I shared all this was to share the following insight (or whatever it is :blink: ):

So what does this have to do with "How do you change your mind"?

It has taken me years, (and I am still on this journey), but I learned/am learning to embrace the dark emotions in my soul....to not view my "dark side" as an enemy. I still cannot put into words exactly what it is that I have learned/am learning in this area. And to some it may sound VERY strange...and even "devilish" or unrenewed. But it has opened my heart and life to much healing...physically and emotionally. The aforementioned incident left a deep impact upon my soul.

Another thing I forgot to share about this particular incident/time in my life. There was a pharmaceutical recall on the alubterol I had been using in my nebulizer. It was contaminated with pseudomonos. Thus the bouts of pneumonia without response to meds. Over 300 people died...class action law suit against the pharmaceutical company.

Okay..that's all....now back to the topic... :wave:

Bapipes, how very cool that she took the time to talk to you, stayed calm and helped you calm down, too.

"Embracing" the feeling and acknowledging it is something I've been reading and listening about for a while now and it's beginning to make more sense to me and has helped me tremendously to overcome TWI's teaching on emotions being evil, unproductive and distractions from the word.

Jenny Craig even teaches this in their program - they call it "Mind, Body, Food". One of the techniques they teach is when an overwhelming craving comes over you to sit down and with a pen and paper have a conversation with yourself. With your dominant hand you write "What do you want?" and then switch to your weaker hand and write your answer.... I'm not able to explain it in a short paragraph, but they teach lots of things on how to get to and acknowledge what you're actually feeling - cause so many times it's not food.

That's just one example. Another is the "inner child" and recognizing that that inner child needs to feel validated, protected and cared for. We do that by embracing those temper tantrums and talking and reasoning ourselves through them instead of just going into the temper tantrum. When I first got divorced and left TWI I would have horribly vicious, physical attacks, bloody battles with the folks in TWI in my dreams. I would be on the ground and they would be kicking the crap out of me, spitting on me, yelling horrible things at me with vampire-ish teeth and the most evil looking faces I've ever seen.

I heard about this "inner child" stuff and started talking to my inner child every morning - reminding her that I love her and that I'm going to take care of us. That I can take care of us and that we're going to be alright. When I would get panic attacks I would close my eyes and ask my inner child what's wrong. Why are you so upset like this? Sometimes I would go to the bathroom and just have a good cry....other times I would promise that we would talk about it when we got home, but that we have to get our work done... I know it sounds weird, but it worked for me. I don't talk to that eight year old much anymore, but I don't need to.

There's more and different techniques, but I don't want to write too much in case it's a derail. :)

Is this on topic? :blink: I dunno. I think so, it's helped me with getting rid of a lot of guilt and waybrain thinking. It's also helped me to lose weight and change the way I think about food.

IMO it's very on topic Belle.

Exactly "What does it take to change your mind?"

Perhaps the question could be..."to change the soul?"

Can the soul be changed?

I so enjoy this subject. I think it is inexhaustible. I read this morning "God has set eterninty in the hearts of men." I'd say that is pretty inexhaustible. The heart....we only have a glimpse. The more we learn the more we realize how little we know and how very intricate all of life is connected.

Gosh....feeling gushy all inside now. Grateful and awed. What an awesome life.........huh?????

BTW: The practitioner, Diana, is about 15 years my senior. She is British...so has that beautiful Brit accent.

And at the time she was helping me was a Buddhist. Sent Buddhists prayers my way...lol....and I was a twigger!! But I didn't care....she LOVED me....and I knew it. :)

just thinking of that sacred question again..."what does it take to change your mind?"

it would seem that we must at least first find our mind

or find the nature of our mind, prior to changing it

and i think that this also points at true "spirituallity" of the world's great traditions

and finding out how our true spiritual awareness is the most obvious and unavoidable truth

because once we take that step back and are actually observing our mind and our soul

that naggin question still begs to be asked..."who is it then that is looking at my mind?"

is my mind looking at my mind?

is my heart looking at my heart?

is my soul looking at my soul?

is my body looking at my body?

is my brain lookng at my brain?

if i am not my thoughts or my feelings in my body...

then exactly who and what is watching all this?

what is this nature of myself that can observe my body and mind and heart and soul?

:spy:

we are like fish who do not know how wet we already always are

the inner mind soul seeing the outer mind thoughts

then seeing them both together is a 3rd dimension

watching it all dance together ...

the 4th dimension-and the heart

who's the director?

kind of funny that you are

the ole between the ears thing

desires, drive, upbringing, thoughts

all seen through the same eyes

yet......expandable.....

and shrinkable...which is both good...

• 4 weeks later...
just thinking of that sacred question again..."what does it take to change your mind?"

it would seem that we must at least first find our mind

or find the nature of our mind, prior to changing it

and i think that this also points at true "spirituallity" of the world's great traditions

and finding out how our true spiritual awareness is the most obvious and unavoidable truth

because once we take that step back and are actually observing our mind and our soul

that naggin question still begs to be asked..."who is it then that is looking at my mind?"

is my mind looking at my mind?

is my heart looking at my heart?

is my soul looking at my soul?

is my body looking at my body?

is my brain lookng at my brain?

if i am not my thoughts or my feelings in my body...

then exactly who and what is watching all this?

what is this nature of myself that can observe my body and mind and heart and soul?

:spy:

we are like fish who do not know how wet we already always are

Just thinking here..

Lots of rhetorical questions you pose +odd. I do believe only eternity will answer them all...that is if we need to know the answers.

I know God is a constant in my life.

I believe cellular and engergetic memories are imprinted on every soul.

I believe intuition is real and that is part of the biology of the human form and psyche. I used to observe animals and think, "Instinct. Animals seem to know so much by instinct. What happened to humans that we are so out of touch with our instincts? Surely God designed humans with instincts and intuition." Then my TWI brain would try to shut that thought out....that intuition is from the devil spirit realm.

As I learned more about cellular memory and energy medicine (and I know very little), I began to see that instinct, intuition, cellular memory, etc., are part of mankind in his natural state..just like the 5 senses. It has nothing to do with spirit, other than God (Spirit) designed mankind that way. These attributes cannot be "measured" definitively (yet) by westeren science, so we call them (intuition, instinct, etc.) spirit.

Yet this instinct/intuition isn't being in touch with God as our Father; it is part of that however that stirs man to ask the hard questions.

I believe man is born with a sin nature and that only Jesus Christ's sacrifice (in his life and death) brings eternal life with God. God exposes that sin nature, and man recognizes that within himself and by himself he cannot know God.

Well, this isn't what I had planned to post. Doggone it! I'll have to post what I initially planned to post in another post. :)

Edited by I Love Bagpipes

:wave::wave::wave::wave:

(I sure hope this posts as an additional post and not as part of my last post...)

I know this thread was originally started to bring discussion about the "mechanics" of changing the mind. And then it seemed to take a little twist. And then it came back again...and took another twist. And now it seems to have run its course maybe.

I read something this am, and thought about this thread again. Don't know if this will resurrect anything. It involves reasoning, resonance, research, memory, and Lord knows what else in this complex process of change.

From Cry of the Soul, "Constructive Fear: The Process of Change":

"To allow God to transform our fearfulness, we must first acknowledge our fears. This means resisting the impulse to act as if they weren't there, deadening our strong feelings through busyness in distraction activities....

Second, we must struggle with our worry. This is in contrast to the philosophy that advocates, "simply trust Jesus and your worries will disappear." Once you acknowledge your fears, you're in for a real battle. It's only after struggle that you will experience lasting peace (se Psalm 131).

Third, through Scripture and prayer, remember God's power and His marvelous acts of past help. Begin with Scripture, where we confront the astonishing nature of God. Time and again the Bible records God's work in history to save His people from incredible dangers..... But most important, remember how God has worked over the years in your own life. He did it in the past; He can do it in the present.

Then, finally, with the confidence that you have gained, move out into the world. At first, the process may be slow and painful. You may feel great pressure to retreat to a safe palce where there is no hurt. But keep in mind that the safe places, those with no hurt, are also places with no joy.

The fear of God overwhelms the fear of the world."

End of excerpt

I think it's interesting that Sirguessalot, CM and Bagpipes all talk about the reflective - or self-examining ability of our minds. It's quite challenging - yet exciting: trying to take an honest look at myself. I like Bagpipes' quote From Cry of the Soul, "Constructive Fear: The Process of Change":

"To allow God to transform our fearfulness, we must first acknowledge our fears. This means resisting the impulse to act as if they weren't there, deadening our strong feelings through busyness in distraction activities...." I think I carry two pictures of myself in my head. One is what I THINK I'm like - how I want others to see me - and the other image is what I ACTUALLY am...Self-deception is such a mean trick we play on ourselves. Honesty and an accurate view of self takes courage, humility - and forgiveness.

Edited by T-Bone

well, Pipes...my rhetorical questions are more of an exercise that is actually designed to point to something we can realize and experience right now

after all...eternity exists right now

but aside from that...the stuff you and Tbone just posted reminded me of this quote from Thomas Keating...

"The spiritual journey is not a career or a success story.

It is a series of humiliations of the false self that become more and more profound.

These make room inside us for the Spirit to come in and heal."

it seems, that a large part of what it takes to change our mind

is to find out what and where our mind really is

because our very sense of self-identity is all wrapped up in this quest to define (as well as undefine) the boundaries of self

I think I carry two pictures of myself in my head. One is what I THINK I'm like - how I want others to see me - and the other image is what I ACTUALLY am...Self-deception is such a mean trick we play on ourselves. Honesty and an accurate view of self takes courage, humility - and forgiveness.

and so we might ask...am I aware of that part of me who carries the two pictures in my head?

i mean...how honest and accurate and courageous are we, really?

btw...i'm not saying this is easy or fun, either...more like being eaten up by a T-Rex

also...i think think of how leaning/falling into pain/fear (agape) is the opposite of fleeing it (eros)

but most importantly...how life is best as a balance (healthy marriage) of the two

Edited by sirguessalot

it seems, that a large part of what it takes to change our mind

is to find out what and where our mind really is because our very sense of self-identity is all wrapped up in this quest to define (as well as undefine) the boundaries of self

Well, Sirguessalot - you've nailed the crux of the matter for this thread! Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a very simple - yet profound point!!!!! Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!