templelady

rather intense aren't they???

Yaupon \Yau"pon\, n. (Bot.)

A shrub (Ilex Cassine) of the Holly family, native from

Virginia to Florida. The smooth elliptical leaves are used as

a substitute for tea, and were formerly used in preparing the

black drink of the Indians of North Carolina. Called also

South-sea tea [Written also yapon, youpon, and yupon.]

Seems this treat is reserved for you rebels :)

Tom probably has a *youpon* snow cone recipe -- eh?? ;)

Hmmm...Texans. Threw one of 'em in the Chesapeke Bay one time for mouthing off and mutilitating a blowfish just because he thought it was ugly. Never could stand senseless killing. Even ugly critturs...

But I think our resident Texans here at the GSCafe ar nice people, even though that one guy is Straaaannge. And he is a fellow OLM as well...

And speaking of the Yankee/Johnny Reb thing. When we lived down in Old Virginny, I went deer hunting with some local mountain boys from a little "ravine community" called "Bacon Holler". We got outfoxed by a big old buck which had given their "deer dogs" the slip, and so, we called off the hunt to try for him another day. And since the hunt was over, and the Jim Beam was passed around, Junior Shifflett slaps me on the shoulder and says; "Ya know Keb'm, you ain't so bad fo a Yankee". And Jeff Shiflet (they wuzn't kin but were from up in the same holler, go figure) says; "Why that's right Junior, this here Keb'm's a right fine fella! Yew kin go huntin with us anytime! Maybe we'll bring your dog along next time, see if he's any good. He might make a fine deer dog (pronounced "doge" hard "g") And of course they loved old Starbuck Von Der Weg, for he was the finest dog I ever knew! Miss that old fella... :(

Anyway, I told them that I appreciated the compliment, but, that I wasn't a Yankee because the Great State Of Maryland was mostly neutral during the Civil War. And then they both laughed , slapped their thighs, and one of them said; "Well now we know for sure you are a Yankee now, Keb'm!" And with a resumed deadly seriousness he continued; "Cuz there wuddn't nuthin civil about that wo-ah! (war) That wuddn't no civil wo-ah, it was the Wo-ah of Nawthen Aggression! And I could really see that the South still hurts deeply over that tragic War Between The States. I nodded to them with due respect, but had a desire to lighten it up as well.

And so to that, I laughed and said; "Okay, you got me, you got me!" And we all laughed and passed the bottle of Beam around again. Great guys, and I enjoyed my culturally enlightening experience with them. They were really fun those guys. At another time one of them pointed to the top of Broken Back Mountain (it's in Greene County Virginia), and said; "See that Mountain there Keb'm? Well, My kinfolk came down off that mountain. That's right, that's where we Shiffletts come from. We come down off that mountain," as he nodded earnestly. And I told him that that was really something, as I wondered just what the hell that actually meant. Did that mean that they were "hatched up there" and then "come on down off that mountain" or what? Too funny, all of that...

And speaking of the weather, well, Mo, down here in Juneau, it is fairly spring like. Bulb flowers are poking their little heads out, and the pond nearby has iced out. In fact, my boys were out there today on an inflatible raft and rowed out to the little island there and were cutting down saplings for spears so they can guard their nerwfound haven from "invaders." Hah! Boys....

Edited by Jonny Lingo

That's just a state of mind, Tom! ;)

I won't deny that... and TL... about the "that's not the way we did it back in Texas"... you can insert any state or country into that sentence... it's applicable to everyone, not just Texans...

I remember, beginning back in the late 70's and early 80's it was particularly bad down here because all of the Yankees were immigrating (mostly from Michigan it seemed) and all we ever heard was "that's not the way we do it in Michigan"... :biglaugh:

it was particularly bad down here because all of the Yankees were immigrating (mostly from Michigan it seemed) and all we ever heard was "that's not the way we do it in Michigan"... :biglaugh:

That might be the best example of the poverty and bossiness in Michigan I've ever heard. hee hee

Having moved from Michigan to Oklahoma and Arkansas to hang out with a cult, my husband worked in concrete construction and he'd enjoy and hope for more yankees to apply for the job(s). They just worked harder, we assumed, cuz there was actual money to be made. It was a concept a yankee from Michigan wasn't much used to.

I don't know if this is the point you were making or not Shellon... and I fear opening a huge a$$ can of worms here... but it sure did SEEM LIKE a lot of the immigrants from the north had a "union mentality"... we were all used to an honest day's work for an honest day's pay (since the cost of living was generally way lower here)... but the immigrants from the north wanted more pay for less work and generally felt that they were "owed" something that they didn't feel they had to work for...

...and yes, I know that's a generalization... but it was the majority... they were nice people though generally... just had a different idea about work...

Funny that you mention the Michiganders having less of a work ethic. One thing I have noticed here in Alaska is that there is a good number of Michiganders who are really good hard working people, and who came to Alaska with a sense of the old Frontier spirit who love to hunt, fish, and work hard to take advantage of Alaska's economic opportunities. But none of the opnes I have met are displaced auto workers, but rather are from more rural and small northern Michigan towns like Charlevoix, and the Upper Peninsula. Probably big cultural differences between the two regions of Michigan....

And Mo. Turns out that the usual RAIN is here today, and for all I know, it may last for weeks and weeks and weeks. Rather have your colder weather, and then a real summertime. And Mo, did you buy your Nenana Ice Classic ticket yet? The NIC is another way we deal with Cabin Fever...

http://www.nenanaakiceclassic.com/

Edited by Jonny Lingo

The Tanana River officially went out on April 28, 2005 at 12:01 pm Alaska Standard Time.

There were 46 winning tickets. Each had the exact month,day, hour and minute that the ice moved out.

Whoa! Is that a lot of people with the exact guess?

The worst case of Cabin Fever I ever had was 1986...waiting for spring AND waiting for an overdue baby.

That was also the year that Challenger exploded (in January), twi's limb leader for Alaska declared our baby to be 'a child of satan' (in February), and the wrongful death lawsuit my brother filed (concerning our mother's death) turned real nasty and I got subpoenaed (in March).

Sadness, anger, fear, tension, stress...

Between January and May, 1986, I ended up spending a total of 4 weeks in the hospital confined to bed because of it all.

Whew! That was some bout of Cabin Fever I tell ya!

But with the birth of our very healthy son (no horns or tail...sigh...hehe) came spring...and it was all good.

:D

Whoa! Is that a lot of people with the exact guess?

NOt realy becuase when you get your tickets thay have a sheet with the times that were winning over the years.

You can narrow the window down pretty well according to date and time

A lot of people keep records of the type of winter each year too so they can further narrow their guess down.

And, so many times, the ice goes out on a hot sunny afternoon, which narrows things a bit. One year, my first in Alaska back in the spring of '83, I guessed that the ice would go out on May 8th at 3:47 p.m. May 8th is my birthday, and so I picked that date just for what the hell. And so, the ice went out at exactly 3:47 p.m. on May 9th! Now, just for the record, it could have been 3:27 or 3:47, I can't quite remember. But the only thing I had wrong was that I was a day early! Bummer, that...

And Cool Waters, I remember being in some downtown Anchorage store with the same limb leader you mentioned, and he said a terrible thing, and I was appalled! He was looking at a foot long model of the space shuttle Challenger, and when the lady came up to ask him if he needed any help, he held the model of the space shuttle up and said with a laugh; "This is nice, but do you have any that catch on fire and then blow up?" The lady, aghast, asked us if we would please leave the store. And in the car, he thought that was the funniest thing in the world! I asked him why it was so funny to laugh about it. It seemed like he spent alot of time trying to act like J*ff M**n. Even adopted the same laugh...