GreaseSpot Cafe

In Praise of Strong Women

T-Bone

In Praise of Strong Women – a variation of Footsteps in the Sand

One night a man had a dream. He dreamt he was walking along the beach with his wife and the Lord. It was a glorious taste of heaven. The man loved the beach, the smell of the ocean, the sound of the surf, his loving wife by his side and the Lord walking in front of them.

As the man gazed back on their footsteps in the sand – wishing this moment would never end – he stopped mid-stride. “What’s wrong, Babe?” she asked concerned about the grave look overcoming her husband’s face. She could see his eyes searching further and further back where they’d been and - - he seemed to be calculating something in the way he would roll his eyes up to one side. He was so lost in thought she had to ask again gripping his arm with emphasis, “What’s the matter?”

The husband spun around so fast it startled his wife and even the Lord! His eyes darting back and forth from their distant footsteps to his wife to the Lord – back again. She could tell he was really trying to control his anger – as he began to speak she thought maybe he was suffering a stroke because of the way his words sputtered out. “Lord, I thought you said you’d always be with us if we committed our marriage to you,” the husband nervously said. “But as I look back at some of the most challenging times of our married life I see only two sets of footprints.” And then gathering a little more courage from blurting that out said, “Guess you were out there walking on the ocean – leaving us here to figure things out for ourselves.”

Almost in unison the wife and the Lord hung their heads down – not out of shame or disappointment – but humility and extreme tenderness. The Lord placed a hand on each of their shoulders – gently pressing the couple closer together. Then, as he gazed down at the sand he softly spoke these words, “Don’t mean to burst your bubble there old friend – but those were the times I had your wife carry your sorry-a$$.”