GreaseSpot Cafe

Judas Gospel

Vyctorya911

The media buzz surrounding its publication was lots of fun. It's good for raising awareness on the subject, and getting discussions a-going on the obscure topic of ancient gnosticism.

It's an interesting work, which reminds me a lot of the style of the Nag Hammadi writings.

I found most fascinating the usage of pronouns, in Jesus describing "my Father" as opposed to

"your God" ( the god of the disciples).

Hope to live to see another lost work enjoy the same media blitz.

As to the Way's response to it all - who cares?

(I mean, given their past non-interest in such literature such as the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Nag Hammadi library, the Pseudepigrapha and Apocrypha, and the Patristic literature, I'm hard pressed to imagine them having any response at all to the latest discovery in this regard.

Which is kind of sad...for a supposed "Biblical Research" outfit).

Danny

Edited by TheInvisibleDan

I haven't read it, but didn't Jesus say of Judas that it would have been better if he had never been born? Oops.

It is a rather curious saying.

Considering that, without Judas' role in "delivering" Jesus over to his enemies,

our salvation may never have come to pass.

So it may be reasoned.

But the saying "it would have been better..." is not so mysterious when we consider the suffering and anguish Judas underwent over delivering his Lord, as depicted in the synoptics.

We can imagine him feeling that sentiment. Which presents Judas as one of the more sympathetic, more human characters in the NT.

Is there no hope for Judas? Is he destined for eternal damnation for his predestined role in the divine drama?

Danny

Edited by TheInvisibleDan