GreaseSpot Cafe

Why are Women So Strange ~~~~~~~~~~~ And Men So Weird?

dmiller

That was the title of a seminar I went to today (yea -- work related!), given by a Psychologist/ Humorist named Bruce Christopher. It was really interesting as he talked about the diferences between men's *language*, and women's *language* and how to communicate with the opposite sex effectively --- once you know what they are *REALLY* saying! :spy:

If you ever get to hear this guy -- do so. He's both hilarious as well as informative ---

(something we don't often see in the seminars we go to). :(

Anyhoo -- after talking about how men are *uni-taskers* (able to do only one thing at a time),

and how women are *multi-taskers* (accomplishing many things all at once) ---

He asked if anyone had a story to share, that might illustrate his point.

One woman IMMEDIATELY stood up, and this was her story ~~~~

(remember --- we're talking *uni-tasking* vs. *multi-tasking* here). ;)

I rarely get a chance to go out with the girls. I've got a toddler at home, and my husband works odd hours. I was invited to a *girl's night out* one Friday, and it so happened that he was going to be off that night, so I FINALLY got a chance to relax with a night out on the town with my friends.

So when that rare Friday night outing finally arrived, he promised to babysit, and told me to have a good time. I went out and had a great time, catching up on a lot of things and had a lot of fun. Then I went home, and the toddler was still up, and hubby met me at the door with her saying:

"Tell Mommy what you did".

What had happened was -- she had taken a black, indelible magic marker,

and drawn pictures all over my white wooden cupboards!!!!!

I said -- "Well where in the H*** were you???!!???

He said "Watching TV."

I said -- "What??????????????? YOU were watching TV when she was doing this?"

He said -"Well it was good show".

I told him ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF YOU CAN ONLY WATCH ONE THING AT A TIME

WATCH THE ONE WHO WALKS!!!!!

After we all picked ourselves up from the floor from laughing so hard,

she got a solid minute of applause and cheers.

Thought y'all might enjoy that. :biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller

Why are Women So Strange ~~~~~~~~~~~ ?

I dunno. Have always wondered about that... :blink:

But, great story Mr. DMiller! But I wonder if that toddler was their first child though. It took a little while for me to catch onto that "all of the sudden it's too quiet in here" dreaded feeling which meant that Meagan, Trevor, Riley or Luke was into something. The first time I remember that happening, Meagan, two at the time was behind the couch quietly feeding an eager Mr. Starbuck (the dog), stick after stick of butter!

But I did note the quiet and go looking, and did catch them in the act, the very act!

Edited by Jonny Lingo

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: Dmiller, I love that story!!!!!! Very funny - and that sounds about the way my brain functions - I mean the kid writing on the cupboards - :)

[edited for parental control]

Edited by T-Bone

Yeah, O.K. fine. Men are weird.

But women are the real power behind everything good and meaningful, I'm sure.

Did I mention that I hate farking seminars and know-it-all a-holes who teach us about the real truths in life? Gawd, there's a million of those dweebish bastards running around, giving seminars, hawking their books, and just letting us in on the amazing stuff that they've found out (but we weren't capable of figuring out). O.K., I've got an attitude, so sue me...

(Women also have the capacity to be worthless, faithless, self-centered sluts too, but then, nobody's perfect are they?)

Resigning myself to a "love life" of self-abuse...

Great story, and rings true with my experiences.

I am reminded of a picture that was posted on the internet awhile back of a baby, sitting in the kichen sink with dishes floating all around him....and the caption said...this is why you dont ask your man to give the baby a bath and do the dishes....I will try to find it, its really cute.

I dont think its about men being wierd, as much as its about men thinking woman are strange and women thinking men are strange and wierd, also.

If this seminar helped answer some of those issues, it was worth every bit of time it took to sit through it. I LOVE going to seminars, in that I love learning and have found that so many people out there actually have a "slant" on something that I would never in my wildest imagination thought of myself. I go to all types of crud with a nursing degree...this would have been once that I would have really enjoyed sitting through.

My questions would be this.

1. Men and women speak different languages....does that mean women tell TOO much and men usually are stating the opposite of what they REALLY want to say? (or is it the other way around)??

2. Men seek independence and women seek intamacy....so does that mean it will never ever work right unless the man is an upstanding man, that knows WHAT to do with independence and the woman will have to learn that intimacy from a man may mean that just the fact that he includes you...(NOT TALKING SEX HERE, THATS THE ONE that should just be the GIVEN) he is being very intimate with you?

3. Men will never fully understand woman and woman will never fully understand men, get used to it, get over it, but stay faithful and you will see why?

These would be my questions about this.

INTERESTING TOPIC...

dawn

I dunno...there's some folks I relate and connect with right away and there's some I don't. It's not usually a "sex" sort of thing, but more of a "trust" sort of thing. :huh:

David, I LOVE that example, though. :biglaugh:

I have found that I generally get along with men as friends moreso than with women because men are straight forward in their communication and there's no "reading between the lines" required (unless they are TWIts). Also, men get mad; blow up and then move on. Whereas us women will remember injustices forever! Now, my girlfriends from kindergarten that I'm still very close to, have plenty of injustices between all of us, but we have more good times than bad times, so those things don't come up - especially not so that we're more mature. :redface2:

Maybe it's just communication and attentiveness styles and not necessarily men vs women sort of thing?

I don't trust people who don't smile - male or female. I don't trust people who don't make eye contact - male or female. I don't trust people who treat me like I'm stupid - male or female. The qualities I look for in people aren't necessarily "sex" related, but moreso quality of life and integrity related. *shrug*

That being said - I highly value my girlfriends that I've been able to develop close, intimate relationships with, but those are few and far between whereas I tend to make friends with guys much easier for some reason.

David, I LOVE that example, though. :biglaugh:

Belle -- thank you. That *example* was the whole point of the post here. I only mentioned the seminar to give the story some context. He did NOT teach that men were weird, NOR did he teach that women were strange, but WHAT HE DID teach on was that men are wired differently than women and vice versa, and how to overcome that *cultural barrier* and learn how to EFFECTIVELY understand what the other is going through/ thinking,/ and feeling when a situation comes up between a man and a woman.

Perhaps the title of the seminar was his attempt at giving his talk a humorous approach, because everything he said was very informative and IN NO WAY denigrating to either men or women.

Men and women are wired differently, without a doubt, and I certainly got what you were saying, david about the title of this...and it being more about the story.

It shows up very well in here...THE DIFFERENCES between men and women.

Yeah, smiling and eye contact are good things. Sometimes though, if a person is not smiling I wonder why, and it's not always in my mind about them not being trustworthy. Sometimes I like to dig a little deeper than that, and that just me and not the opinions of everyone.

Eye contact....thats a whole nother story....

And really, how people listen...is probably the biggest one. Nothing is black and white really, and their are major differences between men and women in generaL.AND GOSH, the girl or guy who really learns that one, has truly learned something very valuable.

If there werent, wonder if the divorce rate would go down and the things that seem to come between men and women (and yes, people in general) wouldnt be so high.

Since the topic is about men and women being different, guess that was the focal point here...so, I am ENDEAVORING to listen.

The conspiracy continues...

Dawn

Just to add to the discussion:

I had a work situation in my younger days that culminated in a wise gentlemen making an interesting observation about the differences between men and women.

He said "Suppose two people were given a project to do that required a written report. They then had to take the report to their supervisor for approval. The first person, a man, presented his report and was promptly blasted back in his chair for all the errors that the supervisor found. The man walked out of the room, combing his hair back into place, but thinking about what was wrong with the contents of the report and how to fix it.

"Next came the second report, this time presented by a woman. She receives the exact same treatment at the hands of the supervisor, but when she walks out of the room, she is, instead, wondering what is wrong with her."

I've thought of that analogy a lot through the years, and see it echoed in my own actions. Whether you agree with the analogy or not, there is some truth to it, and it can explain a lot of things in both the interoffice and interpersonlal relationships we deal with on a daily basis. While the men around me will take the report, throw it off the bridge, and start over again, I (and some of the women I have worked with) are more likely to want to throw ourselves of the bridge. The report didn't fail, we failed. It takes time, maturity, and passing a lot of bridges to get past that and see it for what it is.