GreaseSpot Cafe

What we swallowed hook-line-and-sinker....?

ChasUFarley

I just followed someone's link to one of the TWI myspace forums and was reading up on some thread about help the Mormons. Someone posted something there that got me ta' thinkin'...

This is no slam against them or anything of the sort, okay? They're into their thing - TWI - it just ain't my thing anymore - I don't hold that against them at all (in case they're reading!)

But someone said...

"Within our discussion I found it interesting how alike the Morman Church is structured and organized to our own ministry, which is really just a replication of the standards of the Christian Church during the first century."

First, it sounds like they think the Mormons structured their church after TWI (nope, sorry - historically impossible - and they probably didn't mean it the way they typed it) but the real moment of clarity is the phrase about TWI being structured like the First Century Church...

Hmmmm.... :unsure:

Please, can someone post the scripture where it mentions how the First Century Church was set up like a MLM* organization?

I never really gave it much thought before - is this just something else we swallowed, hook-line-and-sinker - and thought it was "right on"... ???

*MLM = Multi-Level Marketing. Some organizations like Amway, etc. are also a tree or multi-level management tiered.

Edited by ChasUFarley

If I bring 'in' Fred, then I get half of Fred's tithe. And when Fred brings 'in' Bob, Fred gets half of Bob's tithe and I get 1/4 of Bob's tithe. So we each take a profit from everyone that we bring in, plus we each get a cut on the profit from our 'down-line'.

I guess that I did not see that structure from my limited experinces in TWI.

:)

I have read a bit [a long time ago] about the process the early mormons went through in forming their ritual and Temple ceremony. It made sense to me.

Wierwille's spin on "1st century church in the 20th century" was part of his bait and switch con...and yes, we swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Twi twisted scripture to make it appear that the apostle Paul was at the top of some hierarchy...not so...not even close.

The 1st century church operated as each individual was led by the spirit...there was no chain of command...Christ was the head of the body...in twi, Christ is absent. Wierwille proclaimed that the written word (which he was the authority of), took the place of the "absent Christ". The 1st century believers had no written word (at least no new testament)...

...As I look back, I am astounded that so many of us (myself included) bought into this con...and it's the same con that twi followers buy into today.

With Christ absent in twi, there is no lordship of Jesus...there is only a corporate structure that lords over people.

... Twi twisted scripture to make it appear that the apostle Paul was at the top of some hierarchy...not so...not even close.
Actually I have material that shows Peter was in the position of leadership back in Jerusalem.
The 1st century church operated as each individual was led by the spirit...there was no chain of command...Christ was the head of the body...

True, however during both of the counsels in Acts they did take their arguments back to Jerusalem and argued before the 'leadership'.

:)

Nice Post Groucho,

TWI was/is so far from the first century church that it is laughable. About the only thing in common TWI had with the first century church was meeting in homes.

The leadership structure of TWI's caste system that divides folks into a ruling Corps/Clergy class and an subservient laity class -- is antithetical to first century Christianity.

I dont know what kind of "material" you have Galen, but whatever it is, it does not justify or support TWI's errant and oppressive ecclesiology.

Peter was indeed a "leader" as was Paul. However, they were not "rulers", lording over the saints. They served rather than demanded to be served.

Nice Post Groucho,

TWI was/is so far from the first century church that it is laughable. About the only thing in common TWI had with the first century church was meeting in homes.

And not always even in homes,

unless the Tyrannus' school qualifies as a "home."

The leadership structure of TWI's caste system that divides folks into a ruling Corps/Clergy class and an subservient laity class -- is antithetical to first century Christianity.
This should be old news to anyone who had a copy of

"Babylon Mystery Religion",

which had a chapter on this being antithetical to

1st century Christianity- and you all HAD a copy...

I dont know what kind of "material" you have Galen, but whatever it is, it does not justify or support TWI's errant and oppressive ecclesiology.

Peter was indeed a "leader" as was Paul. However, they were not "rulers", lording over the saints. They served rather than demanded to be served.

Further,

there was accountability and nobody was inviolate.

Paul gave Peter a stern talking to in public.

Imagine how many people would have grabbed you

and dragged you bodily off grounds if you had

tried that to vpw sometime.

First, it sounds like they think the Mormons structured their church after TWI (nope, sorry - historically impossible - and they probably didn't mean it the way they typed it) but the real moment of clarity is the phrase about TWI being structured like the First Century Church...

I didn't get the sense at all that they thought the Mormons patterned themselves after TWI. They just said it was similar, and attributed to both modeling it after the first century church (whether that's accurate or not is a whole other story).

Raf --

It's this part of the phrase....

Within our discussion I found it interesting how alike the Morman Church is structured and organized to our own ministry

I think the key words in my post were "it sound like".... I say this because they are placing the LDS Church first in the sentence, as it sounds as though the LDS organized itself after TWI. It's more of what's implied or assumed to be implied by how the sentence is structured, that I was pointing out.

Being raised Mormon and knowing a little about the structure of the LDS church, I'd have to disagree on that account, as well. The head of each church is a President, for starters. The only President in TWI is the one who's the head of the whole thing... That's just one example.

===================================

Belle --

Good points about how we never knew anything about Peter, but there was lots of teachings about Paul. I've been trying to fill in some of those gaps lately. I feel like I came away from TWI knowing about Moses, Joshua, The Adversary, David, Solomon, and Paul. Never mind Jesus Christ, Peter, James, etc. scheesch!

==================================

Still, no one had the scripture on how the First Century Church is set up like a tree. ...

How interesting....