GreaseSpot Cafe

Warren Jeffs

GT

A lot of what Warren Jeffs believes is not that far off from what Craig pushed. If The Way International was located in Utah, would a difference really be seen?

CNN Video link: Jeffs tells girls about the beauty of polygamy

I can not see the similarities excpet for the loyalty thing. And it was not loyalty to 'the prophet"that was blatently demanded as much as loyalty to an employer. In some ways there is nothing wrong with that. I think many of the leaders during that era (many of whom now follow scary geery) forgot they were employees and were subject to being fired. That does not make it right, I'm just sayin.

Also I never heard TWI or Craig promote polygamy. If anything I think they would have condemned it.

Craig's loyalty demand was not just to employees. The number of mark and avoids, another name for excomunication, atests to that. Anyone who disagreed with him was out. And the reason given for many of the mark and avoids, if it were an employer / employee relationship, would be grounds for a lawsuit.

What's the difference between all the women in the kingdom and polygamy? No long term commitment?

The world is full of guys like Martindale...their doctrines have slightly different spins but the bottom line message is always the same...

..."I'm the (mog/apostle/chosen one/ enlightened one/ guru/ etc., etc.)"..."give me your allegience, your money and your women"...David Koresh comes to mind.

Craig's loyalty demand was not just to employees. The number of mark and avoids, another name for excommunication, attests to that. Anyone who disagreed with him was out. And the reason given for many of the mark and avoids, if it were an employer / employee relationship, would be grounds for a lawsuit.

What's the difference between all the women in the kingdom and polygamy? No long term commitment?

I agree GT, Ol Loy demanded his 'follower’s' obedience, or they were 'out' of 'something'... out all together, or out a 'name tag' or 'status'.

The difference I see with Warren Jeffs SICK way of living, is that he seems to 'take care' of the women he's with... if it can even be called that

Ol Loy did his dirty work in secret, using many people to get the women he desired… using and leaving… taking other men‘s wives... comparing the two, Ol Loy makes Jeffs look better :(

Unfair to compare them to Jm Jones or David Koresh.

As someone else has posted, TWI's cult like activities pale in comparison to most.

They were sort of like the watered down, 3.2 Bud Lite of cults.

Unfortunately this stuff is all too common in many religions. Happens all the time. It is wrong every time. Religion is cruel to people.

All done in the name of _____________ . (Fill in your god or idol here, including what some call "The Word").