GreaseSpot Cafe

Win32/SillyDI.APN

excathedra

The kid attached would have to be down a week or so. His gaming buddies will miss him. Try Bluezman's and other suggestions first of course. You can also take it to Best Buy. I am not sure what those Geeks to Go guys charge but they get this all the time. I hear its the most common thing they do, fix spyware and viruses.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid attached would have to be down a week or so. His gaming buddies will miss him. Try Bluezman's and other suggestions first of course. You can also take it to Best Buy. I am not sure what those Geeks to Go guys charge but they get this all the time. I hear its the most common thing they do, fix spyware and viruses.

Be careful of those places though. Their "fix" too often is to reformat the hard drive and then send your computer back with nothing on it. Not saying ALL of them do things like that, but I know of many in my area who will take that as the easy way out. 1 hour, maybe a little more, and they charge you 85-100 bucks.

I do this kind of stuff for a living also, and usually don't reccomend any one solutions. Usually, you have to use a number of different programs to get totally "clean". I had been hit by a real nasty one, a variant of the About:Blank worm/trojan/whatevertheheckitis exploit. Tried for 3 days to get rid of it. No matter what I did, soon as I left safe mode and went back into normal mode and accessed the internet, it came right back. I took a chance on adware-away and in less than 5 minutes, my computer was totally clean and I never got it back again.

Adware-away is not a "preventative" measure...it will not keep you from GETTING malware. But it's the best thing I've seen for getting rid of it after the fact.

Rick

Oh, and just wanted to mention, the offer to send you her hard drive was mighty nice of you John!

thank you SO MUCH rick and john and everyone

i'll let you know how things go when i can do it

i'm so so so so thankful you are here - all of you sweetgeeks - i mean it

me and john go back before the prince of the power of the air created the internet and he fixed me up with our two computers

sorry i haven't thanked you ALL enough on this thread. please know how much your help means to me

Best program you can get for this kind of stuff...Adware Away. Will have you fixed up in less than 5 minutes. It's not free, but it's cheap at 29.95. You can get it HERE.

Excath,

I had a pesky thing that I couldn't get rid of either and Rick told me about Adware Away and I downloaded it and it was so fast in it's destruction of that sucker that I was sold and later when it did have a cost I gladly paid the fee to have it and it has served me well.

I strongly recommend you try this one first. I know this one and it made me go from :asdf: to :).

i'm in tears

i bought the adware away

it was running along fine and i kept pushing next (with the recommended stuff)

then i got a fatal error c000021a and the computer shut itself down

i also turned almost everything off for startup stuff in msconfig

and now when i reboot, the little boxes are gone where i can log on

i have no way in to the computer

i made it worse now i guess

Pressing F8 during the boot process allows you to boot into Safe Mode. Are you able to log in while in safe Mode?

Run your Adware program while in Safe Mode. Also run your virus scan program while in safe mode.

Delete all the nasties it finds.

And be careful with MSCONFIG. Some things are absolutely needed to be checked in there for the computer to run properly.

Let us know the results.

Edited by igotout

everything in msconfig needs to be loaded for the programs to see there junk sometimes.

Just check normal start then boot into safe mode if you can't regular.

Then run your programs.

I still highly suggest this. If you haven't tryed it yet.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_Must_Re..._Log-t2852.html

It will take some time depending on the speed of your computer.

If it don't work then register and post the problem. It may take a few days to get someone on it but just post once, they will see it and get to you as soon as possible. It's a very busy forum. Just post your hijack log once and they will get to it. If you try bumping your thread up, it just annoys these geeks. But that's the way it is there cause it's so busy. And they do see it. Mine went to page 5 i think, but i got answers when they got to me.

i hate computers well i have a love hate relationship with them

i did the adware away in safe mode and then the virus thing. it gets rid of everything but ONE win32/silly and i believe it's the surf sidekick or at least they're traveling together. i saw that one in my starup thingy

i can't do that hijack stuff

i'm too old and tired

that computer will be off for 2 days starting later tonight because we're having some work done in the house

i know those virus demons will still be living in there even when it's turned off just waiting for me to turn it back on. rod serling could have done so much with technology

Her system Restore IS turned off because I turned it off.

This site will help I believe. Just follow step by step, best you can.

Basically running the CCleaner program and the SurfSidekick Program in Safe mode may do it for you. Afterwared, run a virus scan and latest Adaware again, all while in Safe Mode.

Here is the link.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74266

Edited by igotout

http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?a...details&f_id=15

cleanup beats ccleaner i have found igotout

by a good margin

from that site i posted they all can be used for free

the trojan hunter and ewido can be used for 30 days free

they are easy to run and download with high speed

Edited by dancing

CC Cleaner and Clean Up both look good. But her problem is not really in those issues of deleting clutter. It is with a couple of stubborn pieces of malware which keep reappearing. But those tools are good to aid in fighting malware and should be used at the beginning of your exorcism.

Ewido did not permanently remove SurfSidekick. Nor did AdAware, Adaware Alert or Spybot! They will find it and delete what they find but it reappears, even when unplugged from the Internet and in Safe Mode.

I think SurfSidekick is a top ranking devil spirit. My link above gives a specific exorcism made for Surf Sidekick. It worked for me. NOTHING else did. Thank you Jesus! :biglaugh:

Edited by igotout

Manual removal of Surf Sidekick did not work for me. It just came back. It will not even let you manually remove the folder under Program files because it says the program is in use. Even in Safe Mode. It's a tough one. But I was able to successfully remove it using the program I described above which is a free downoad.

I personally do not like Norton Products because I think they are too invasive and slow your computer down. I prefer EZ Antivirus made by Computer Associates. What this appears to be is not a virus but Malware. Antivirus progs are not in that game but they will be of necessity.

Just so you are clear, I had the same Malware as Ex, SurfSidekick and the one that is the name of this topic Win32 somethng. I was able to remove mine here. But she lives far away from me so I couldn't do too much. Just some basics across PC Anywhere. But she has not yet tried my methods mentioned above. Hopefully it will work for her like it did for me.

Edited by igotout

cool, igotout

norton has been blocking worms and trojans for some time, and yeah it's a resource hog for sure, gotta have a lot of memory, and a fast processor

there is a way to remove files in use, i found it somewhere on the internet, from the registry

does pcanywhere work the same as desktop sharing in msnmessenger?

that's what i use to help my brothers who have now upgraded to xp. you have to have xp and msnmessenger 7.5

msnmessenger has now come out with a newer version but i like 7.5 better

the new one-

http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

and the only place i could find 7.5

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/MSN-...load-24627.html

anyways i do hope she gets rid of the thing

heck i'd reformat

i have the servicepack2 cd, ms will send it free of charge,

not even shipping and handling

it's in there somewhere! removing files in use-even in the registry

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...amp;btnG=Search

actually i think i saw it in msn newsgroups-but you would have to post the question.

you can get outlook express to do your newsgroups which is much easier then the web based reader. easier to find and flag a post so you pick up the responses quickly, and it can be integrated into outlook 2003

Lets start a new topic on Desktop Sharing

The thing about this pesky malware. I would delete the registry key and it simply would come back. Stubborn booger. and yes, there is something I saw somewhere that lets you delete programs which are in use, like in this case it was called sidekick.exe

i'm so confused. sorry. i saw that the registry thingy found all this stuff on my computer that it would delete so i bought it.

i bought adware away and registry mechanic 30 bucks a pop and i can't get rid of it

i'm sure i rushed through your help because i wanted to help my kid

it's still frikkin there

i'll have to go back at it now that i'm on the computer again

i'm not sure what i read john about turning restore on or off ???? but maybe i changed it by accident went i went back to a previous boot when i could not reboot

talk to you later

and thank you so much

i can't believe they sell you this software that doesn't fix stuff

ps. one thing that i tried to download - clean something or other - told me i couldn't download it because it was in use i think. holy crap

i really wish you could log on to my computer in safe mode

-

oh yeah registry mechanic ($30 version) said it found nothing just now and at the same time a popup came up

Exsie, I know how frustrating this stuff is. I've been there. I took my computer to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and got it back in a couple days minus all the nasties. I think it cost about $50, plus $30 for SpySweep, which has been a good program to keep the adware and such away.

Hope you get a solution soon.

Mwah,

Linda