GreaseSpot Cafe

Win32/SillyDI.APN

excathedra

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you deleted the registry key that loads the trojan and it comes back, the actual cause was not taken care of. Deleting the registry key doesn't kill the process that may be still running in memory. Along with deleting the key, you also have to stop the running process before you restart the PC, and then find and delete the maliscious executable or dll file(s) as well.

Also, some viruses/trojans load from the registry as a "process" and msconfig is pretty helpless there - as it only looks a a few of the common places where programs are loaded from.

Some trojans (like certain variations of this one) can actually load from the virus chest or from the quarantine folder - depending upon the antivirus software you have. I know it can from Mcaffee, not sure about Norton. I use Avast and it has not let me down in 3 years.

The only way I know to truly get rid of this kind of trojan.

1. Make sure system restore is off.

2. Boot in safe mode

3. Delete the registry key that loads the trojan

4. Delete the infected executable or dll file(s) -- (there may be more than 1. )

5. Delete all temporary internet files (precautionary)

6. Delete all "temp" files. ( precautionary)

7. Delete all files in the virus chest or quarantine folder. Don't skip this ...

Then do a virus scan again, It should not be detected by the antivirus program.

Restart normally. It should be gone.

If it is initially gone and then comes back later on, there is a program still on the system that when run manually, rewrites the registry key, and recreates the malicious files. This program needs to be removed/deleted. The problem will keep coming back forever until this is done .

But if all went well in 1-7 it should be gone and should not return.

Turn System Restore back if you use it. I don't use System Restore as it has seldom been helpful to me, but you may want to keep using it.

Consider using Firefox as your Internet Browser - it is much more secure than IE is customizable with some really cool and useful plug-ins or "extensions".

thank you thank you thank you

well one frustrating thing is when i run adware away, it gets all ready to delete or repair, and then the computer shuts down all by itself. happens every single time

i've been trying in safe mode. so far no good

i did delete surf sidekick and keyboard888 or 666 or something and quick links from remove programs

will have to try again

i think there's a bundled devil

thank you all again - so much !!!

oh and i believe when i tried to download one of those cleaners, it told me the file was already in use ?????

thanks goey. and you're right

as of now, i just sent a log to adware away since i'm paying for their tech. support

--

i did that too just now, dancing. i thought the virus was making it shut down, so now i can try it again

--

you're all so helpful

i have felt overwhelmed and lost, plus when other things in life are going on, it's really hard to devote time to this

thanks again

and if i've ignored anyone or not followed what you told me, it's not personal at all. it's because my head is spinning

love, regan

:)

pps. dancing, as a rule, should that automatically restart be checked on or off in my computer system recovery thing?

GOOD NEWS! I heard back from Adware Away tech support and they told me things to check off from the log report I sent them (which I guess is like Hijack this). I did it and so far so good. I sent them another log to look at because one of the things they told me to check off was NOT on the list that came up.

I have a strong feeling my problems are coming to an end. i hope i hope i hope i hope

Again, deep scan appreciation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your computer goes in to automatic shutown and the timer starts, you can prevent it from shutting down by:

Start > Run > then type "shutdown -a" .

This will abort the automatic shutdown and let you keep doing stuff.

exc, usually it should be checked so your computer does not get any more damage from what caused it to get to the point of auto shutdown. Which is usually caused by conflicting devices like modems and other hardware. And also casused by software too.

But as I've read in many places the person has been told to uncheck this box to see what is going on in the computer when diagnosing it. But as a rule it should be checked to protect your computer.