GreaseSpot Cafe

The Biggest Sporting Event in the World

Mark Sanguinetti

People in other parts of the world call this football. The world cup is every 4 years and is by far the biggest sporting event in the world. With 32 teams having qualified for this tournament the teams are divided into groups of 4 with each team in their group playing one another. The top two teams in each group move onto the next round and the lower two teams are eliminated from the tournament. When it gets to the second round of play and 16 teams are left then the teams square off for single elimination games. The winning teams move on and the losing teams are eliminated. The final game is scheduled for July 9th in Berlin, Germany. The entire tounament this year is in Germany.

The US team is a good one, but they are playing in the most competive group of four. In their group is the Czech Republic ranked 2nd in the world. The USA ranked 4th in the world. And Italy ranked 14th in the world. The USA has already lost their first game to the Czech Republic 0-3 so they have an uphill battle now to make it to the second round.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

I can see you guys have never actually played the sport. If you would have played it you would have more appreciation for it. And clearly if you want to compare sports the more boring sport to watch on TV is baseball. And this is coming from a baseball fan who watches lots of games and used to play the sport. If you understood soccer you would actually enjoy watching it. And with the change in the offside rule and the use of what looks to be a more lively ball more goals will be scored than in previous years. But you probably want it to be like basketball where half the time you go down the court you score either a basket or a free throw. That will never happen in soccer.

I used to play soccer back in college (not on the college team - but with friends passionate about the sport). Makes me tired just thinking about it now!

I'm finding it mildly ironic, that most Americans laud *football* so high --

and millions watch the superbowl every year ---

and out of those millions --- most tune in for the commercials!

Or the tail-gate parties. :biglaugh:

Whereas you have MANY MORE MILLIONS (dare I say a billion?) of folks globally --

watching the World Cup, and to them -- the commercials are an interruption.

On with the games!!

:) :)

Edited by dmiller

At least in hockey there are some actual shots at the goal.

The only World Cup game I've ever seen was the final some years back between Italy and somebody else - Brazil maybe? The two teams kicked the ball back and forth up and down the field the whole game and nobody scored. I don't think anybody even came close to scoring.

So after that thrilling 0-0 finish, four or five guys on each team lined up to take turns kicking the ball into the net. That excitement continued until some poor schmuck missed and the other team won the championship. Play until somebody wins for real, even if it takes all night. That's like deciding the NBA Finals with a free throw shooting contest.

In World Cup News today,heavily favored England trounced Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 thanks to two late goals after the 83rd minute....It is not known to this sportswriter whether Trinidad and Tobago are two small countries that couldn't field enough players for each to have it's own team,or whether England simply played two teams at the same time...Of course,this lopsided victory for England pales in comparison to the 3-0 annihilation of the U.S. soccer team at the hands of the Czech Republic...World Cup officials fear ethnic tension as a result of the 3-0 blowout,noting a sharp increase in U. S. businesses enforcing their policies of not accepting Czechs...

From Pirate ---

So after that thrilling 0-0 finish, four or five guys on each team lined up to take turns kicking the ball into the net. That excitement continued until some poor schmuck missed and the other team won the championship.

SSDS -- (same s###, different sport).

Same thing happens in hockey -- except it's on ice, and not grass. :)

(PS --- I agree. Make em play till the cows come home.

Let's get a REAL winner here.) ;)

Edited by dmiller

Yea, they did almost as good as the U.S. baseball team at the World Baseball Classic.

Frankly, I did not see the game against Ghana so I don't know if the U.S. team played well or not. However, I did see how Ghana scored the winning goal in their 2-1 victory. It was on a penalty kick. For you non-soccer people (seems to be plenty of you here with the exception of DMiller). A penalty kick is the result of a foul inside one of the 18 yard rectangular marked boxes near both goals. From what I saw of the foul it was a very poor call. No foul should have been called at all let alone a penalty kick which usually results in a goal.

I did see the game against Italy though. The U.S. team played well in that game. They had to play at a man disadvantage for most of the second half. In soccer when a player gets penalized for committing fouls they can get ejected from the game. Unlike in other sports the player ejected can not be replaced so their team has to play at a man disadvantage. The U.S. for a short time in the first half was playing at a man advantage when one of the Italians players was ejected from the game for elbowing a U.S. player in the face with a face full of blood resulting. This was a legitimate call. However, just a few minutes later the referee did a make up call so that the two teams would play with the same number of players when a U.S. player was ejected for a much more minor foul. At the most the U.S. player should have been given a warning as he had made no previous fouls. Instead he was ejected for a relatively minor infraction. Even an Italian former World Cup star said it was a bad call. Then at the beginning of the second half another U.S. player was ejected for his second foul and neither fouls were of the flagrant variety. Hence the U.S. team had to play a man down for most of the second half. In spite of that they controlled the ball quite a bit in midfield and were the equal of the Italian team even playing a man short.

Edited by Mark Sanguinetti

From what little I've watched, there seems to be absolutely no consistency in the foul calls. One guy gets stomped into the ground and nothing gets called, then a few minutes later one guy barely bumps the other one and there's the ref waving his little cards in the air. That's got to be one of the goofiest looking things in sports.

I did watch some of the Mexico-Argentina game on the Spanish channel. Now that was cool. You talk about some announcers getting wound up, those guys were wired. I had absolutely no idea what they were screaming about but it was fun to listen to for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

You gotta be kidding me....The championship game in the world's biggest sporting event decided by penalty kicks????.....'As jubilant teammates watch,Fabio Riggatoni keeck bol very hard past outstretched arms of Pepe LeGoalie and Italia now king of futbol world'...

I think I would probably like Arena Soccer better...

Ways to make world cup soccer more interesting ...

Put a hill in the field, maybe with a flagpole, like the astros have on their field

Sandtraps / water hazards

everyone does a shot for every 5 minutes without a goal (players I mean, fans are already drunk)

loose bulls running on the field for part of the game ... a la pamplona

more cheerleaders / dancers

instead of shootout, play mumblety peg to decide winner

Edited by rhino

• 1 month later...

If ya'll understood and maybe tried the sport you would understand and enjoy the games.

If you really want boring watch baseball.

Baseball has to be the most boring sport in the world.

Its not even a team sport. Its just 9 guys playing separatly with 8 other guys. They just happen to be on the same field.