GreaseSpot Cafe

Chain Gangs

likeaneagle

I'd heard getting to work outside was actually used as a reward. It is something they earn by good behavior. I've seen them around in Illinois ... there is a truck following them, but no one out with a shotgun.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone point a gun at a person either. I have seen cops with guns pulled ... and know a few people that were shot, (not killed) in New Orleans (used to be number one in murder per capita I think). I remember one guy showing up to open his store with a gun in his belt (downtown New Orleans). I think it is pretty rare to see someone actually pointing a gun at someone in day to day living ... I hope.

Edited by rhino

In Western New York there is a very large prison in Attica, which is located right next to the interstate. There are signs posted in the area that read something to the effect of, "Prison area - do not pick up hitchhikers". That cracks me up. They should add "especially if they're wearing orange jump suits"!

I have had a gun held to my head , ex husband friends looking for him at 3 am, first time, cops coming to find ex husband pointed a gun at me at 3 am a few weeks later... what is it with criminals and cops always looking fro people in the middle of night?

Ex husband.

I saw a guy get shot at a carnival many years ago right in the head, really dead. I didnt ask why .

then i had a real live cop show in front of my house the cops were chasing this truck blocked him with another cop car got out and pulled their guns and told him to lie down in the street . Here was my son riding his bike all around the truck with both cops having their guns on the guy.

that wasnt scary for some reason. the guy did not have a gun that i saw but the cops sure did all over him.

I heard they were loking for him because he stole money from a bar down the street. I do not know.

the prisoners in orange suits are county jail birds not federal the federal prisons of which we have four or five in NY do not allow them to go outside but they can have sex with their spouses in little trailers for a weekend My friend husband was in for just pointing a air rifle at a cop he didnt even see him but the cops freaked and said it a "hostage' situation ( he was shooting the birds) neighbors called him in( yeah he was a little hung over from a party), I was watching TV I was at the party the night before and also a little hung over so i called my friend and siad hey your on TV!!! helicopers and everything !! she said really cool! I said NO they think your a hostage and she was to frightened of the dam swap team and everything eles to go outside she was also a little hung over. . Really not a good day. they got him in state house 8 years and they had wekends she had to be locked in with him!!!!

quote: Part of the insanity of my childhood was to tell us kids that we'd go to jail if we didn't behave...and they'd drive us by the juvenile facilities and show us exactly what they meant...and that they'd actually do it. Once my grandmother even put me out of the car in front of the place for girls and left me standing there to 'think about' what I'd done. We had no doubt in our minds that every time we heard a siren, they were coming after us for something we thought we got away with doing. It was very frightening

Wow! Comparmentalized hell. Don't merely tell kids they'll go to hell if they're bad, TAKE THEM THERE! "Someday, all of this will be YOUR'S!"

I'm not sure how this could be considered "barbaric." Now in the old days of the ball and chain and breaking rocks just for punishment, you might have a point.

Down here in North Carolina, we still have some of the old "work farms" like in "O Brother Where Art Thou" or "Cool Hand Luke." Personally, since my state tax dollars are going to house and feed these guys, they ought to be doing something to give back a little.

I'm afraid the days of Otis letting himself into the jail cell for the night are long gone.

I don't think it's harsh enough! Sorry, but I think prisons should be the harshest place on the face of the earth. I wish they were more like the prisons in the medieval times - a couple of pieces of bread, some slop and water maybe twice a day. Dark, damp and dirty. Then make them work their butts off.

I'll bet the prison population and crime rate would shrink dramatically. When you house, feed, clothe, provide medical care and let criminals live off our taxpayer dollars there's no deterrent - that's why they end up back in prison so soon after being released too many times.

I know it's not a popular opinion and I apologize if I've offended anyone, but it really is how I feel. I've always felt like that and being married to a police officer for nearly eight years only reinforced it for me.

If the prisoners work "for the state" they can sue . they used to make the plates here but were stopped due to law suits costing to much money.

it isnt worth the liability they love the chance just to be able to go out to go to court . mY friend an RN tells me storys of the attempted suicides just to be able to live in the medical ward which has a nicer schedule etc.

She as an RN has to carry malpractice insurance due to being sued eevery few months by a prisoner who just wants a chance to go outside etc.

she had one kill himself she asked him if he was going to kill himself he said no, they rountinely claim to want to or attempt suicide so she didnt put him in the ward.. he succeeded only because the guard got hung up and was ten minutes late for his rounds.. the family wants millions of dollars!

he was sentenced to death penalty . honestly. the cost of the trial l alone will be a million dollars or more.

Edited by pond