GreaseSpot Cafe

Take Time To Look For Bikes

oldiesman

• 9 months later...

I can't afford a car and I can't walk more than a couple blocks without causing myself more Crohn's and Fibro pain problems. I CAN ride a mountain bike ... used to do 20 miles a day before I got sick this last time ... I'm back up to 5 now and working my way back to 20 or more again.

My hubby rides a road bike to and from work daily. Job he's working now is only about 6 miles round trip, so it's not too bad on him. He can get there in 20 to 25 minutes. For those thinking 'take a bus' .. the buses don't run when you work the 3rd shift hours he does, it's walk or ride the bike.

Now, for those of you who can afford cars and have taken a hatred to those of us who ride, either for transportation or for pleasure. He and I both ride for both, usually spending his days off riding around town having a good time and trying not to get hit. He's been hit 3 times in the past 8 years. I was only behind him one of those times and got the honor of watching it happen. Thank God he's never been seriously hurt and only had some bruises where car bumpers connected with his leg. Was he riding crazy? No. We were entering a crosswalk, riding on sidewalks, not in the streets, when it turned to 'walk' for us. An old man was sitting in his truck at the corner, looked at us and saw us coming. He was waiting to make a right turn on the red. When he saw a break in traffic, he took his foot off his brake and started to move forward ... still looking to his left, not straight ahead or to the right where he knew we were. My hubby was right in the center of his truck and he was knocked off his bike. While he did maintain his balance and hopped backwards halfway into the middle of the 1st lane of the main road, with a 45 mph speed limit on it, by that time cars were coming IN that lane. Thank God the car that would have hit him was paying attention and was able to move into the center lane and avoid possibly hitting or killing him.

I was just starting out from the corner and saw it all happen in slow motion it seemed. I remember hitting my brakes and screaming STOP STOP STOP at the top of my lungs to that old man in the truck. Then I looked to my right to see that car swerve to miss squishing my hubby as he regained his balance and got back out of the road.

What shocked me the most was that old man never moved. He didn't get out of his truck, he didn't roll down his window to say he was sorry, he just sat there waiting for my hubby to reach down under his truck and remove his bicycle so he could continue on his way. He did just that too as soon as the bike was out of the way. Had I not screamed for him to stop, I feel we would have lost the bike. Due to him stopping where he did, his tires missed the bike by 2 inches.

We also continued on our way as we were heading to pay the cable bill and it was due that day, so had to get done. We weren't all that far away by then, only 1 or 2 more miles to go of the 5 miles total distance it was from where we lived. The next 2 days hubby had off work, which was good or he would have had to call off. His leg by then was very sore and he was limping pretty bad on it. He was able to go back to work the 3rd day, but it took him a couple weeks before he stopped limping totally. Those truck bumpers can really put a bruising to ya when they push your leg into a bike frame at about 3 to 5 mph.

I realize there are some crazy riders out there on bicycles. Don't judge the majority by the few. Why do some of us ride side by side on a road that doesn't offer us a sidewalk to ride on? (That is a legal way to ride btw in most states.) That way we KNOW we will be seen by cars and won't be hit. It's not to upset you or slow you down, it's for our own safety and protection.

Twisting roads compared to a straight (or around a big circle) bike path in a park? On my top of the line, best selling woman's mountain bike in the country, that I have tricked out for the way I ride, which do you think would be more fun to ride on? I don't want to ride with people on a bike from WalMart that is made for the park paths, I'm a bicycle commuter and ride casually to new places to see new things. That means I ride on the roads and get there the same way you do in your car. I also want to ride in places my bike was made for, it's got full suspension, the twisting and turning roads are a lot of fun to ride on. They are a nice change from riding in city traffic where the majority of my riding is done since I live in the middle of uptown Phoenix. We're the 5th largest city in the country now, so that should give you an idea of the traffic I have to keep an eye on every second I'm out riding to get somewhere.

I have a speedometer, a rear view mirror that attaches to my glasses, a side mirror on the right handlebar end, flashing lights front, rear, and on my wheels. I'm saving up for the good light I want so I'm ready when I'm up to night riding again and it's as bright as the headlights on any car, dim and bright settings both. My tires are Michelin's, just like the ones on your car and I'm sure I paid almost as much for my tires and rims as you did for two of your car tires and at least one rim, if not both. While my brakes will stop me on a dime, I intend to move up to disc brakes in the future when I can afford a set. They aren't cheap, but I want the best I can have to keep me safe when I'm riding and I've lost count how many times I've had to stop quickly when cars pulling out of store driveways don't look and almost hit me. Don't get me wrong, I *always* slow down when I see a car approaching a driveway I'm heading towards and I won't continue on until I have made eye contact with them so I know they see me. As I pass in front of their car, I wave and say thank you.

Someone mentioned bike paths put on roads. Look closely at them the next time you are driving near one, slow down or stop and walk and look at it awhile. They are the worst maintained part of the road and some are not fit to ride on they are so rough. They also end a half block before you get to the intersections, so then what are we supposed to do? The intersections is where we need them most! That is the narrowest part of the road in some areas of town here where I live. I avoid the paths and use the sidewalk if there is one, or I take another road where there is a sidewalk to ride on.

Most bicycle riders I've talked to prefer to take back roads with the least amount of traffic as often as possible. There are times when that is just not possible though, so when a main road is all there is and there is no sidewalk, we have to ride in traffic. Trust me, it's less fun for us being out there trying to get where we need to be and a heck of a lot more dangerous, than it is for all of you in a car that may have to slow down for a minute or two until you can safely get around us. We appreciate you doing that when you can't get by us safely in the same lane. It's the drivers who curse us, try to or do push us off the road, throw objects out the window at us (which turn into missiles you pray don't hit you), spit at us, or stay behind us going slow and honking their horns when they have plenty of room in other lanes to get by us, that upset us and scare us.

If it wasn't for my bike, I'd never get to go anywhere. I've been stuck inside an apartment for the majority of the past 8 to 9 years I was so sick. I'm tired of the same 4 walls day in and day out. Now that I'm under a doctor's care and out of pain, my bike is my freedom, it's my way to go a few miles away from home to buy something I need at a store that isn't in my neighborhood. It is what makes my leg muscles get strong again and helps me get all of my body back in shape after sitting and doing nothing for so many years.

7 months ago I was using a wheelchair outside and a cane inside or for short distances outside (like to a neighbors). I couldn't get up and down the stairs, my legs weren't strong enough, I had to use the elevator. Today I use the stairs, I walk the 2 blocks to the grocery store if it's too dark to ride the bike there or I'm buying more than I can carry back on my handlebars. I've gone from 76 pounds to 100 pounds. I don't feel I will die at any time anymore, quite the opposite, I'm ready to rejoin the world and have a lot of lost years to catch up on.

I'm not upset at any posters who said things bad about bike riders. Most people once they learn to drive never get on a bike again the rest of their lives and they forget what it's like. I thought I'd show what my side of the issues are since my bike is my only transportation. I hope it helps bring a little bit more understanding between riders and drivers, so we can share the roads in peace and no more get hurt or killed.

BB

Thank you for the insight.

I know a lot of us don't stop to consider that people ride bikes for a multitude of reasons.

Glad to hear you are "on the mend" and able to enjoy your newly found mobility.

Waysider

:wave:

Since I live in a tiny studio apartment, it's hard to find spots to take pictures, especially of something the size of my bike. LOL. The hallway seemed the best and has the best light, which my little camera phone needs. Here's my *baby* that means so much to me at the end of my post.

One more thing, I couldn't afford a bike like this myself obviously. In the past, some years ago when my soon to be ex hubby had a better paying job we both had bikes we put a lot into, mine was 1000 plus, as I added more to it. Some jerk was so kind as to cut thru a very expensive lock I had on it one night and relieve me of it. I cried for 3 years missing that bike and knowing I'd never get out of the chair without it.

I ran into an old friend on this forum, who wishes to remain nameless. This bike I have now was a gift from that person last year to me. It's 100 times better than the one that was stolen, it's a bike I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd have the honor and privledge of owning and riding and I'll never be able to thank that person enough for giving me my life back ... in more ways than one.

This bike lives inside my little home with me. I purchased the very best lock on the market, one actually made for motorcycles that can also be used for bicycles. You can see the lock hooked on the bottom of the frame where the drink holder would normally be. It's a handcuff lock made by MasterLock and has 9 links between the cuffs, not cable or chain like all the other locks have, that have proven to be too easy to break apart by the pro bike thieves, which we have a lot of in Phoenix. When I lock it to something, I walk away knowing it will be waiting for me when I return.

Now, here it is. Wish the pic was better quality, but it's all I had to get a pic with. For those who know mountain bikes, it's a Santa Cruz, Juliana SL.

Bike2.jpg

• 4 months later...

My sister has ridden for 30+ years and has always made safety a high priority. She writes a safety column for her motorcycle club. Maybe that's why she took so long to finally have an accident. As usual, a car pulled out in front of her after making what she thought was eye contact. Elinor was going 45 and hit the passenger door without even hitting her brakes. Thankfully it was a small car, not an SUV or truck, because she launched over the vehicle instead of being splattered against the side of it. Her full protective gear saved her the pain of road rash. But she did break her pelvis in 5 places. She's mostly rehabbed but will always walk a bit funny. She rides again...

If it can happen to her it can happen to anybody.

Locally of late there have been a number of fatalities involving crotch rockets being ridden irresponsibly by young males.

Edited by TheEvan

Thanks Evan. I have crashed twice, once in 1985 and once in 2005. Both times were my fault entirely, and totally preventable. Thank God my stupidity didn't involve anyone else.

But when I ride now, I'm extra cautious at intersections as they are very dangerous for bikers.

I also use the SEE method regularly when approaching intersections and changing lanes, (Search, Evaluate, Execute)

• 6 months later...

After my son was nailed while riding his Harley I swore I would never overlook another biker. But sure enough after about a year or so and the bikes were just starting to show up in the spring, I pulled out in front of a guy. It wasn't that close but I was so put off at myself. Be safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

about 15 years ago in a short time span i was involved in 3 motorcycle accidents. the 1st one (1973 honda 175) was me coming down the street and a car coming the opposite way turned left into a driveway right in front of me. fortunantly i was going slow enough and the only damage to the bike was bent forks i wasnt hurt. the 2nd one (1984 kawasaki gpz 550) was i'm out on the freeway and a car changes lanes and the back of it hits the front part of my front wheel instantly slamming me on my right side i got a lot of road rash and both hands spraind, case savers protected the engine,a few paint scrapes and 1 broke handle bar the lady said she DIDNT LOOK before changing lanes!! 3rd one (same kawasaki) i was making a right turn on a side street and a vw bug turned left out of a parralell parking space (illegal u-turn) in front of me ,i managed to get the bike turned a little so as not to hit head on,hit hard enough to warp bike frame,bend forks,dent tank,break both handle bars, bike was totaled,i got brused ribs, doctor said tendon in right knee was slightly fractured,and i dont remember if there was anything else, the driver didnt look before making illegal u-turn from parking place. i always turned the headlight on the honda on, the headlight on the kawasaki automatically came on when key was turned on ,no on-off switch only high-low beam switch. the first driver saw me but turned anyway,2nd and 3rd drivers didnt look ,i am very fortunate to have not had any serious injury however i personally know a guy that was broadedsided by a red light runner and lost an eye, among some other things,he was very badly injured. always look for the motorcycle !

• 11 months later...

Hey Oldies - we're likeminded on something!

Yes - beware of bikes - motorized and pedal.

Your first ad ran on TV and on the big screen on the cinema. When it ran in cinemas, you could see the audience flinch, even if they knew the ad.

Sushi, speed limit in the UK in residential areas is generally 30mph.

BikerBabe, thanks for making a case so eloquently for pedal cyclists. Being on a pedal bike is a dangerous activity. Most drivers are very courteous, but it only takes the one who says, "Sorry, didn't see you luv" - after he's hit you.

I've never had a serious accident, but had a few near misses, none my fault.

In town traffic, often a pedal cycle is quicker than a car. If a car driver cuts me up, when I go past at the next intersection or wherever, I bang on the roof or the window and demand to know why the driver cut me up.

I have also found a useful trick from the police. (This happened when a driver RAN INTO ME whilst I was stationary at the side of the road - he saw a parking space near me and just decided to go into it - never mind me right by the parking space! He was very abusive to me. Unfortunately for him the police station was right in the next block.)

Anyway, I reported this menace driver to the police and they took the car reg no. Later that afternoon they phoned me to report back. It was a company car, and they had phoned the Personnel Manager at the man's company. They said this often got much better results than them sending a warning letter to the driver.

Since then, if a vehicle driver cuts me up, I note any phone numbers on the vehicle and phone to speak to a manager there to complain and to suggest driver education (it's a company liability after all, if their driver runs someone over!). I do it nicely and have only had one bad response from a company and that was where the driver was also the owner of the small business.

It might be a vehicle driver's fault but it's the biker who ends up on the slab... Take care!