GreaseSpot Cafe

Ken Lay of Enron is Dead

Mister P-Mosh

Thanks for the news.

Just for grins, I went over to Democratic Underground to see the reaction from the peanut gallery. Such jubilation!

Here's a partial sample:

Quick, get a WOODEN STAKE and a Hammer

LOL!!!! Actually, it's quite fitting.

Surprising that someone that arrogant can die.

102. I don't think he's actually dead

I'm not buying it. Its too easy. Bush is probably putting his buddy boy up in some island resort for the rest of his life.

I want to see a body!

11. Not fair... not fair...

But if there's eternal justice, he should be watching and feeling now how his actions caused so much pain to a lot of people.

He wasn't hunting with Dick Cheney, was he?

8. well that'll save bush the trouble of pardoning him i guess

if there's an afterlife, maybe he'll get what he deserves anyway

17. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

56. "[D]isapprove"?? HE RUINED PEOPLE'S LIVES! He needed to be

CONDEMNED, RUINED, DESTROYED.

Seems the Universe agreed.

67. Guess Ken got his "pardon" from Bush... just not in the way...

he expected. So much for his possible canary act! He can join that other Enron guy who committed "suicide" a few years back. How convenient for Bu....Co.

These pricks never get the justice they really deserve.

71. His estate will most certainly transfer back the people of California

My refund/restitution check will arrive soon, right? We are going to get our money back aren't we?

Lay's death really saddens me. I wanted his passing to be much more lengthy, agonizing and impoverished.

75. Is this the room you go to .... on a corpse?

AH...there's the body...AHHHHH!! That morning coffee...

You can just feel a little less evil in the world today?

Thank you, Santa!!

134. An eternity burning in Hell would be too good for this guy, for what he

and his buddies did to the investors in Enron. And the employees.

And for engineering the California energy crisis in cahoots with the BFEE.

I would have preferred a slow, lingering, painful demise in prison.

181. Well you can say this for him.

He ruined a lot of lives before he died. Hope his family's proud.

From this thread

Can you feel the love yet?

Well, at the risk of sounding pedantic...

We should keep in mind the depth of radicalism that is out there. Not that all democrats are that way...

Having said that, there were a couple of rest-in-peace type of posts on that thread and a couple of posts on similar threads that called for moderation. Posts of either variety were immediately and thoroughly flamed as if they were chum being thrown into shark-infested water. Makes this site's thrashing of LCM supporters seem almost polite.

Interesting reading from time to time, that site is...

Regardless of his massive screw up in the business world I am sorry to his wife, kids and grandkids for their loss.

This loss is one more on top of so many others in last years, but this one final. I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster they might be on.

It couldn't have happened to a better person imo. As far as his family is concerned, they benefitted from his lying and stealing, I say take their assets and drop them off at the nearest homeless shelter so they can get a good taste of how the other half lives.

Or-did he? (A nod to conspiracy theorists)

I'm not being unsympathic to the man's family, but honestly, that was my first thought.

Don't imagine his former employees will shed many tears.

You would be suprised. My current employer was the natural gas pipeline that became Enron and later split off during bankrupcy. Most of the people here were with Enron, and a lot of them believe that he was innocent. They think that he had responsibility because he was in charge, but that he didn't participate in fraud and was not aware of it. I've heard comments today that have compared him to a grandfather passing away. It's weird.

Ok well I'm an atheist so I don't believe in hell, but if I did, there would be no question that's where he is going.

The actions of Lay, Skilling, Fastow, and the others involved ruined many lives both physically and financially. I have no sympathy for them. However, I try to avoid wishing death for anyone, no matter how disgusting of a person I find them to be. It's one thing to feel no sympathy for a person who died, but it's another to relish in death.

Mark,

I believe if you are an a$$hole while you live then you are a dead one when you die barring contrition and restitution beforehand ofcourse. Nevertheless, some of comments at the Democratic Underground are in poor taste even when the object of scorn is Ken Lay. But these comments pale when compared to those venomous spew that Ann Coulter directed at the 9/11 widows and Max Cleland.

Sure, a good rant is good now and then as someone has posted on another thread. It also sells books. Maybe the best place for Ms. Coulters book is in the checkout aisle next to the best selling newspaper in America, the National Inquirer, since they are both target the same readership it seems.

Mark,

I believe if you are an a$$hole while you live then you are a dead one when you die barring contrition and restitution beforehand ofcourse. Nevertheless, some of comments at the Democratic Underground are in poor taste even when the object of scorn is Ken Lay. But these comments pale when compared to those venomous spew that Ann Coulter directed at the 9/11 widows and Max Cleland.

Sure, a good rant is good now and then as someone has posted on another thread. It also sells books. Maybe the best place for Ms. Coulters book is in the checkout aisle next to the best selling newspaper in America, the National Inquirer, since they are both target the same readership it seems.

Robin,

I sympathize with what you're saying. And I, myself, have used the word 'caustic' when describing Ms. Coulter.

Having said that, I took the time to scan several pages of her book and OCR'd them to another thread. Particularly the section that applies to the Jersey Girls. If you'd like to copy and paste some of her comments from that section (quoted verbatim) that you believe far exceed some of the DU comments posted above in this thread, I'm sure that people would enjoy reading those extracts.

See, I just reviewed the section of her book that I scanned and OCR'd (basically the complete set of comments regarding the Jersey Girls). My review was, admittedly, cursory, but I don't see any comments from Ms. Coulter that expressed glee that these ladies' husbands died. Nor did I see in any place where she wanted to consign the Girls or their late husbands to the nether regions. Nor did I see in any place where she (unlike a fellow g-spotter) proposed that the Girls or their children be stripped of their earthly possessions and be placed in a homeless shelter.

Maybe I didn't review it carefully enough. If you can paste the comments to which you refer, I'd be happy to re-evaluate.

More Importantly though...

What does this have to do with Ann Coulter anyway? :offtopic:

Edited by markomalley

Here's the thing, now that he died, the government cannot get the money back for the people who lost it --- Oh, there will be a battle for years to come...

I heard that as well... that since the appeal process had not been completed at the time of death, the whole thing is wiped out... therefore the government can't go after "ill-gotten" money...

it is kind of surprising how many people think this was somehow engineered... that he took the coward's way out and also protected the 'family money' as it were...

mama said life would be like a box of chocolates

you never what you're gonna get

to condemn someone to hell, thats harsh

mistakes can be made by anyone, that's a daily occurence

to condemn anyone is an act of vengeance

vengeance is not for "free" for it does carry a price

before i mete it out i do value the cost and most times the cost falls back

my philosophy on vengeance...............leave it to those whom have not commited

any sin or "that" sin that is charged, the "stone" that is thrown may be a boomerang

when that stone returns it hits harder and with far more accuracy

Mark,

I believe it was you who derailed this thread by excerpting the DU comments. I only responded to your post.

See The Acid Queen for the excerpt.

Actually, that post took prior restrained comments and pushed to (imho) the limit the level of vitriol felt toward the man.

Right on target, I believe.

But don't you think you should post the actual words of somebody rather than making accusations about what somebody said she said?

Or is it easier just to make a commonly held, but unsupported (and inaccurate) statement?

Well he was to be sentenced this fall and the stress was to much.

Well did you see hisattitude the day of his conviction?

He said He still had "his family".

Well yeah dude lucky u on this day .

But I think he didnt have anything to live for.

the money was gone and the life style he stole for was gone.

so he had a massive heart attack.. his heart was broken you know people can die of a broken heart it happens and has now been rpven as a valid illness and type of death.

He LOVED money and he died when it was gone so much for that "family thing" he still had huh?

No I do not think he should have died but I do think of him as a thief but he just started a huge ball rolling on how corporation had been running for years and years. So I understand how he doesnt think he is any more guilty than many many more doing the same methods of accountability .

the stress of losing or not having money is one I know well and I aint dead yet.. he died I think because he gave up the will to live without all the power and glory he had and will never see again.

I think the thought of prison killed him .

I take no joy in his death...

...He did what he did and a lot of people were hurt tremendously. I would rather have seen him live and go to prison.

Agreed Groucho - I know a liitle about this one.

I think you nailed it, Pond.

His life as he knew it was over.

He ran out of options (perhaps not unlike not a number of those whose life savings

were wiped out as a result of his foolish scams)

The only fate that awaited him was spending the remainder of his life in prison.

We can only only imagine must must have went through his mind; the regrets

over the choices and decisions he made, and those actions which he should've taken

but didn't, like: "Damn! I should have fled to the Netherlands when I had the chance..."

Danny