GreaseSpot Cafe

Searching the threads

QuietThinker

hi everyone,

Because I have no pertinent, first-hand knowledge to add to the thread over at "do we have proof..." I wanted to add this here, because others have addressed it in one form or another.

I am new here to the cafe, as everyone knows or can see, I'm sure. Before I posted at first, I'd read a lot...since I opened my mouth, I've read more and more. It seems that in almost every thread, a sentence or reference will stand out for me, and I will start searching in the threads.

I know that there will always be those people who come onto forums (I address this generally not to a specific poster here), looking for the salacious, for the "gossip", for the intimate and horrific details of traumatic events...to view the car wreck, so to speak.

BUT

I would like to say that the things I've learned by searching the threads--even though I've been angered by the actions of some and heart-broken by the treatment toward others--have opened my eyes in a lot of ways and given me a more solid base of understanding for those "feelings" I used to have when I thought I smelled duplicity or when something just seemed "a little off."

I see every day, in my job, that readers want a chronological, narrative version of events--preferably indexed and cross-referenced, with the really gory bits done up in red. If only to thwart that kind of mentality, I would suggest that pulling out "evidence" or archiving single posts under the general headings of "abuse stories" or other heading would be awful. One thing I haven't seen mentioned (and that doesn't mean it hasn't been) is that this is a discussion forum and the people sharing are writing from their own lives, or the lives to those close to them for the most part. There is no shield...no psychologist/psychiatrist writing a book where an individual is made up of a composit of case studies. We are talking about real people, with real concerns and I respect those.

Searching the threads has not only helped me learn how to navigate gsc better (practically), but it has given me a great deal of context for all the posts I've read, simply because of the threads which inspired them, the times they were written, and what the general mood at hand was. I shudder, truly, at some of the things that I've read here...and shaken my head at some things too.

But, I am daily more informed, and I think that has to count for something. And I don't believe that I'd feel nearly as able to tell my local LC to go pi$$ up a rope, as I did, when he called to see if "I would be blessed to type his article." No, it would not bless me. So, no, I did not do it.

Funny how I get ignored, literally, for months and months only to be called upon when they thought to bless me to do work for them. Yeah, I have my own deadlines now, ta.

I also want to apologise if I've misposted here, or elsewhere. It's strange, I'm rarely intimidated by anything these days, but I have come to have great respect for everyone here in a short time--regardless of perspective or opinion. Free exchange of ideas means so much to me, especially now.

Now, having derailed my own rant, let me finish by saying this:

Taking the time to search the threads, read older posts, all over this cafe, in my opinion, is pretty important for us new types, and probably helps you old-timers (said with affection), too. There is already a good heading and classification system in place, and having lived for over 10 years in TWI, I can affirm that the best way to get to know about the things that are discussed on this board is to read as much as you can, get the history...twi was/is notorious for taking things out of context and twisting them to fit a predetermined model...I'd hate to see that happen here.

The insidious things brought on by twi were not only of a sexual and abusive nature...the small intrusions into the small everyday lives of people who wanted something special--like God--in their lives shouldn't be forgotten. Rotten to the core? yeah. Rotten corps? Some, a lot, not all for sure--you bet. Rotten roots? Looks bad to me and I lived a little of it. So...just read the threads, search them and think.

This may belong elsewhere, and I hope I've not over-stepped. I am still new.

QT

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

AWESOME!!!

And, I don't think I properly welcomed you. :) Welcome!

Yes, there's LOTS of information to be found searching through the old posts. LOTS of information. The thing about searching for those is that you see them "in context" - like being a fly on the wall during a particular "conversation" around a particular booth or with the waitress at the counter.

The mood, the people, the response, etc. has a lot to do with what and how people share their experiences. Every time someone shares the same experience it is going to have a different "flavor" because of the audience at that time - maybe someone said something that triggered a memory - maybe they felt very comfortable sharing much more of their heart that day - maybe they were more angry about the situation that day and said some things they've never said before - etc - etc - etc.

There's no way to pull that kind of information out and place it into a singularly coherent place. Besides that, like you said, it shouldn't be sitting there like a car wreck. The information is here - it's not hidden - it just may take some rolling up the shirt sleeves and spending a little time in the library stacks. :) Besides that, when we take time to read through the older threads, it gives us a sense of the community that's here and the individual personalities of the people who post here. Is getting to know others on here as real people really all that bad? I don't think so, but I'm biased. :biglaugh:

I, myself, enjoy re-reading some of the older threads and will - GASP - do my own searches when I think of something I want more information on. It's funny to me because I used to be one of the kids in school who NEVER would ask the teacher what a word meant because I didn't want to have to look it up in the dictionary. Now I love looking things up - especially when I have something particular to look for.

QT

Thank you so much for using the word "duplicity." If I could choose one word, that describes the culture of the cult, that would be it. :B) Or maybe "duplicitous."

I have posted my experiences time and time again here. I had mostly "positive" experiences with VPW himself. In the past, I have been accused of being a "VP sympathizer," etc. But I stick to my own personal accounts, to show the duplicitous nature of the cult. If I jointed the "all about VP and the Way was evil," crowd, then I betray all those who were suckered in, in their innocence and passionate desire to reach out and make a difference in others' lives.

So THANK YOU!

Quiet thinker...and someday in the future, some "newbie" will be searching through the older threads and find THIS one...and they will be thankful that you were not so "quiet" on this day. Thank you for your thoughtful and inspirational post...Welcome friend, glad you're here. :)

I am new here to the cafe, as everyone knows or can see, I'm sure. Before I posted at first, I'd read a lot...since I opened my mouth, I've read more and more. It seems that in almost every thread, a sentence or reference will stand out for me, and I will start searching in the threads.

amen qt

i read lots and lots and lots...still do

though never caught up in the web of lies and deceit that twi spun

here i am, stuck to a strand of the part THEY (twi) could never imagine

a human heart

and i for one am glad most of my heart is intact and from what i read

so many others are finally getting back what was stolen from them

robbed away from many was the innocence of soul, the pureness of thought unffetered,

the goodness of free giving and thankful reception

smiles that really meant something

shame on twi and its minion losership

for they will answer to a higher power

and it aint vpw or lcm

damn them capitals :nono5:

Edited by watersedge

I also want to apologise if I've misposted here, or elsewhere. It's strange, I'm rarely intimidated by anything these days, but I have come to have great respect for everyone here in a short time--regardless of perspective or opinion. Free exchange of ideas means so much to me, especially now.

QT -- don't be intimidated. You belong here. :)

In the few days you've been here -- you have added a lot. Thanks!

Dear QT,

You are indeed a wise woman.

Reading thru the archives is revealing, and informational, for reasons you may not yet realize.

Greasespot, as Waydale before it has served as a sounding board for thousands of exwayfers. Some have come here, learned and shared what they needed to and moved on. They are not here to continue to tell their stories, their deliverance and our evolution continues to be told thru the archived threads.

I know it is cumbersome and time consuming, and some others want the easy way out.......but your perserverance and hunger will pay off in understanding.

Radar

Edited by Radar OReilly

I would like to say that the things I've learned by searching the threads--even though I've been angered by the actions of some and heart-broken by the treatment toward others--have opened my eyes in a lot of ways and given me a more solid base of understanding for those "feelings" I used to have when I thought I smelled duplicity or when something just seemed "a little off.".........

Taking the time to search the threads, read older posts, all over this cafe, in my opinion, is pretty important for us new types, and probably helps you old-timers (said with affection), too. There is already a good heading and classification system in place, and having lived for over 10 years in TWI, I can affirm that the best way to get to know about the things that are discussed on this board is to read as much as you can, get the history...twi was/is notorious for taking things out of context and twisting them to fit a predetermined model...I'd hate to see that happen here.

The insidious things brought on by twi were not only of a sexual and abusive nature...the small intrusions into the small everyday lives of people who wanted something special--like God--in their lives shouldn't be forgotten. Rotten to the core? yeah. Rotten corps? Some, a lot, not all for sure--you bet. Rotten roots? Looks bad to me and I lived a little of it. So...just read the threads, search them and think.

QT

"Duplicity." I looked it up to make sure I was correct in my understanding: "treachery, deception." Thesaurus synonyms: "deceit, deceitfulness, fraud, dishonesty, guile, cunning, falseness, deception."

What an apt word to describe the confusion I feel at times regarding my relationship/experiences with TWI, and now unraveling whatever needs to be unraveled regarding those experiences.

Thanks for the post QT.

BTW, I read a little of your story earlier this week in the thread about TWI and broken relationships. Heartfelt compassion to you and thanks for sharing. I remember my hesitancy and fear when I first posted. Yet, the folks of the cafe have been accomodating and generous and understanding. I look forward to reading more from you, most proficient author. :)

Welcome to GSC.

QT (I hope you don't mind me calling you that...it makes me think of the word 'cutie'), I haven't properly welcomed you...so WELCOME TO GSC. I have, however, enjoyed your posts immensely...and have even quoted you once already! :)

Thank you for posting these thoughts of yours. It is difficult for me to not become emotional concerning certain subjects. I've thought these things you have said, but have not been as communicative as possible to express my thoughts. You've done quite a fine job here! TYVM

QT

GSC is a great place to come, read, "have a coffee" and share with friends old and new. When you hear their stories or they share what they know, you realise that you are not alone, that what happened to you was not unique but part of a wider pattern of abuse in various forms. You also realise that those things that you thought were "off" really were off. When your spiritual antennae twitched and you were told that you were just being "carnal" or "not walking in the spirit" - you realise you were right!

Yes, it would be helpful in some ways to isolate some of the threads so that they stood out more. But with things as they are you get a better sense of the all-pervading - interference (a very mild word) - in so many aspects of life. ...and the double-think (who's read Orwell's "1984"?)

As you've found, some of the threads enrage, excite compassion, bless, heal, help, annoy - and some are just plain froth. Ain't that fun, we all got so serious in TWI! :) As others above says, you can plot stories and the growth of individuals as they come out from the legalism, negativity and condemnation laid on them by TWI.

I spend far more time "lurking" and very little posting. But there are many people here who offer healing words, not just to the individual directly addressed, but to others who read later (like me).

Help and healing come in a lot of different ways and for me at least and it seems many others, GSC makes that available where people are at. Discovering GSC was a real help for me.