holding a door open for someone

lending a helping without expecting to be paid

ball caps worn bill forward

pants that stay up above the crack

pants that don't drag the ground

skin not covered by tatoos or piercings

respect for elders

honest work for a good check

phones that don't follow the user (with a cord)

cooking a meal from scratch

dinner at the table

decency

road courtesy

ethics

morals

patience

understanding

could go on and on but won't

i lied

on and on this list grows

faster than i can keep up with

to bad age sometimes seems a detriment, cause it is really an asset

after six decades of aging i can say for sure

i long for the "old days"

manners or behaviour like:

yes sir or no ma'am

holding a door open for someone

lending a helping without expecting to be paid

ball caps worn bill forward

pants that stay up above the crack

pants that don't drag the ground

skin not covered by tatoos or piercings

respect for elders

honest work for a good check

phones that don't follow the user (with a cord)

cooking a meal from scratch

dinner at the table

decency

road courtesy

ethics

morals

patience

understanding

Most of that still happens, I do must that [plus a few things] and I still see it in others in this area.

:)

Oh dear. Oh, dear - Oh, dear - Oh, dear...

WE,

I have three tattoos (one is an extremely cute wombat). I have double pierced ears (and a stud on the left top), and am generally to be found with a blue-tooth on my head that makes me look more like a borg than not...(it's pink, it matches my phone).

Does this mean we can no longer be friends??

*snigger*

QT

P.S. I see a lot of it, too, Galen

Welp, WE.... who taught them to be like that and where did THEY learn it? :wink2:

Actually, I have a tattoo and have been seriously thinking about the next one. :biglaugh:

My ears are double-pierced and I've recently started wearing them double again.

I have a cell phone, but I'm not really the typical user. I just hate talking on the phone at all regardless.

I ALWAYS use my Ma'ams and Sirs!!! Always! But I'm a properly raised southern gal. :)

BUT, I do agree with you that society and people in general aren't the same as they used to be. It's a shame to see such decline in morals, but I can't help but think of where they learned that it was okay to be like that. <_< Having been married to a police officer, I've heard all the complaints about parents who are totally self-absorbed and totally ignorant about parenting importance and the needs of their children. :unsure: And, where did THAT generation learn that?

ok, I'll 'fess up.

I have a wombat (the cover art from found you, little wombat), a sheffield united crest, and a large medicine buddha. Right shoulder, left shoulder, right thigh respectively.

and...the oldest is just over 2 years. I was all grown up and bought them wif me own dosh, as it were :)

QT

P.S. Now anyone from my area should know who I am...hehe

quote: pants that stay up above the crack

Not to worry. Two words. Tall T's. I get 'em from Champs Sports and that way NOBODY will see my er ..cleavage.

quote: respect for elders

Went to Ozzfest in '03. I was sitting down eating between bands and these young people asked me who I was there to see and they were actually polite. I was very encouraged. I wasn't always that respectful of middle aged people when I was a teen.

I've thought of that too Geo, although I dont have anything against them. I think for the most part they look pretty good on the young uns, although it may be a different story at 50, or when all those tattoed girls turn into grandma's, but once in awhile I can see a future cash cow coming in and tattoo removal has looked pretty good for the last 10 years or so as a future business.

Fashions-especially teens fashions are always reviled by segments of older adults who view it as a sign of impending doom. I had long hair and ripped jeans which would tick off my Victorian Era grandmother to no end, but really in the long haul isnt that much of a consequence, and I dont think that the kids of today are all that different from what we were.

As far as the other stuff (holding the door open, yes and no ma'am, respect for the elders)--its about as prevelent or non prevelant as it ever was, as far as I can tell. I do it, but I dont see it all that much around me, but I dont think that it really was ever that big except maybe in my imagination and truth be told even though I was taught those things , it didnt really catch on until I was older.

I think that longing for the good old days can be a byproduct of reaching a certain age,--- my parents did it, my grandparents did it, when the world at least according to a selective and partially forgetful memory may have seemed better, but its probably not all that different than it ever was.

Here's my tattoo - It's the Tibetan Mantra for Ohm. The letters are black, the long part of the flame is red and the top is yellow. I LOVE IT and have never regretted getting it - not even during my "heaviest" TWIt days.

Belle's Tattoo

MStar, very profound and insightful post! I've often thought the same thing. It seems each generation has been appalling and "too wild" for the preceding one. LOL! There weren't exactly tame youngsters running those prohibition parties, were there? ;) My ex's grandmother had some great stories about those days. She and her brothers ran their own stills and parties for a pretty penny when she was much younger.

Maybe the only difference is the youngsters who were around for WWII (The Greatest Generation). They never had a CHANCE to be youngsters. They were too busy fighting a war and seeing things that no one should EVER have to see. When they came home, they started families and moved on to mature, adult responsibilities. It's like they really missed having any sort of teen angst movement of their own. At least that's how I perceive it. :)