GreaseSpot Cafe

Do You Get Your Dog Groomed?

Nottawayfer

I've had dogs over the years who I have had to pay more money for their haircuts than my own. I guess I should stop going to Supercuts!!! Just kidding. Anyway, I notice a change in my dog's personality every time he gets groomed. I remember seeing this in other dogs too. But it's only for a day or so. He doesn't ever seem distressed from the grooming. The groomers always tell me he did fine while he was being groomed.

Maybe it's just me and the way I see him? I dunno. It's weird though.

Just had Lucca dog groomed this week. Yes they do act differently. I did learn years ago on my other Pom never to cut their hair down all the way. I thought it would be a nice break from the heat, he hid under the bed for a week . They don't call them Pompas ranions for nothin.

Hmmm...... I've never noticed a difference in Vixen. She gets "stripped" though. That's where they pull the hair out instead of cutting it. It's not painful at all, the hair comes out very easily. Cutting Border Terrier hair is a huge :nono5: - It ruins their coat and the water-resistance of it.

She goes from incredibly scruffy, like the dog in "Something about Mary" and "Good Boy", to slick and puppy-like looking. I LOVE IT!!! It's like getting a whole new "hairstyle" and you KNOW how much us gals like that. :biglaugh:

Now, Duchess I never had groomed, she was part Chow part Golden and I just brushed her a lot, but she had a beautiful coat.

Doobie, I did get him a "puppy cut" every summer, but I don't really remember him being affected by it. Of course, he was named "Doobie" for a reason. :evilshades:

Here are a couple of "Before" and "After" shots of Vixen's last grooming session.

BEFORE

AFTER

When I was younger, and my dad was getting older...he moved his breeding program from german Shepards to Scottish Terriers. I was just leaving horses behind and found showing and training the dogs to be a lot of fun. Consequently, I learned to groom.

I started with Scotties (Yes, Belle, stripping good...cutting, no no no :) ), and then learned through handling how to groom other breeds as well. I'm not an overall groomer at all, but, it was my experience that every dog behaved a bit differently after grooming.

Even now, when I go home, Emma, my dad's dog, will waddle over to me (she's about 11 now), and roll over to have her "skirts" combed. Afterwards, she prances like she's two years old and on a catwalk (even if she is a dog).

The weirdest was an OES whose personality went from laid back and cool pre-groom to Mr. Hyper right after for about a day and a half. So, before I handled him on a Saturday dog show...I'd groom him Monday afternoon, and only brush him out before the show...so he wasn't a wild man.

So, yep, I think it has an effect.

qt

Wayfer not,

Absolutely that can happen. We took forever before taking Laddie to the vet for grooming so when we did (he's a Scottie) he was really missing some hair. And he was acting so strangely! Like he was hiding. He would get in a corner and kinda' shiver. And he didn't really want you picking him up to try to console him. I called up the vet to see if she had ever heard of this and SHE thought I was thinking that they had been mean or rough with the dog during the grooming process. I assured her I didn't think any such thing... I just wanted to know if she had heard of dogs acting strangely after grooming. She said she hadn't.

When I told my sister how Laddie was acting, she told me that her Maltese had done the exact same thing after she had HIM groomed. So now I know that it happens but I'm a little disappointed that my vet had never heard about it.

sudo

ok you may not like this.

my very good friends and ex boss had a grooming shop .

a very successful grooming shop, bought cheap from a good groomer who got into crack and needed money fast.

the training??? from the crack head between sleeping and running to the city.

ok

the thing is your dog may suffer from dehydration after a trip from the groomers and not feel well at all.

the dryers are hot and they are not checked or adjusted. often in need of repair.

you can say this was just that shop well they were very busy all the time.

and groomer have attitudes towards some dogs.. and they can get bitten and learn to abuse (but not so anyone would notice) slap yell and tell them to shut up and just forget to put dryer on low or just general IM busy neglect of their health or well being.

your dog can not tell you if he has been slapped or harnessed by the neck for a hour while the groomer went to lunch or took a phone call.

or if they ave been tied up to another dog that intimidated them all day.

I saw the groomers everyday(I was in the inner circle ) and i even gave baths to many dogs for them.

it is a long day with the dogs.. and everything is not always lovey dovey..

who is to say what happened to him. I saw alot of very very rough handling in the name of grooming..

I would give him lots of water cause im certain he has been hot and blown on all day long if they do not need the dryer many places just put them on and leave them till your suppose to pick them up , and may never had a drink I doubt they gave him a drink , to much distraction to give them drinks and then they pee who wants to take them out? who has time? and they will bark. trust me i have seen it all. many groomers do not give them water all day. if you leave them for hours that may be why.

I was watching tv.. the other day and court tv had a case where an animal had a sezuire after grooming and the vet said it was dehydration , she the owner went to the place that was well established and saw a whole different room where they really do the grooming and dry the dog. and that room did not have air conditioning and it was a very hot humid day with 7 dogs drying with only the door open a crack . She won the case because she took a camera and sued them . but most think oh that can not be happening to my dog... it is very common. YOUR dogg can not tell you why . Here in NY they need no license just open shop l bathe a dog and your good to go.

that was the case in my ex boss shop as well.

looked good till you walked out the door.

the shop i worked in was a very popular expensive salon and yes they are still in business.

This is why I learned to groom my own dogs. Then I know exactly whats going on with them. It really isn't that long to do. I take a couple of days to do it here and there. My shi tzu's love it. Otherwise, they get panicky and worried. They look rather funny for a couple of days but its for their safety and also saves me a heck of a lot of money. :biglaugh:

My dogs love me.... :dance::dance:

Maybe your freshly groomed pets have problems stemming from a lack of self esteem. Did you have them neutered?

Maybe you need to click on this link and learn about NEUTICLES.

Neuticles are fake balls for pet's that have been neutered.

From the website...

"Neuticles allowing your pet to retain his natural look, self esteem and aids in the trauma associated with neutering.

With Neuticles- It's like nothing ever changed!"

Check it out! They even have "neuticles" tshirts, caps coffee cups etc. and yes....you guessed it....fake dog balls on necklaces and other jewelery.

Before you choke on your beverage, please note, this guy got rich selling his fake dog balls.

So run out a buy a set now for your dog. He won't mind the grooming so much

choke, sputter...oh gosh Ron where do you find these things? Did you google fake testicles?... :biglaugh:

I do have a question for you dog lovers out there.

I have two shih zu's. When I'm grooming them I have trouble around the face area. Their eyes get that gook in them and I'm trying to figure out how to get the gook out so I can cut the fur. Is ther something I need to buy?

Ron, thanks for a laugh!

From the company's website (link provided by Ron):

Can Neuticles be implanted in people?

Absolutely not. While the material used for Neuticles is FDA approved, a second FDA approval is required by law for each area of the human body an implant is placed. No company, including Neuticles, has FDA approval for solid silicone or polypropylene testicular implants. Neuticles are perfectly safe for pets but cannot be used on people.

see here

Vickles...

The neuticles were featured on a teevee show on Showtime.

ptbs_logo.jpgptbs_pic.jpg

It's just about my favorite show and I never miss it even though I sometimes disagree and it sometimes offends even me.

Edited by Ron G.

I groomed dogs for a living and now work for a vet running an office.

Many of the groomers I knew were MEAN to the dogs and cats. One lady slammed a puppy on the table because it was jumping around.

A guy held his fingers on the jugular veins going to the dogs' brain to make him woozy to calm down -- very dangerous.

Another CARELESS groomer , left a small black peke on the table eith its head in a noose while she smoked outside. The dog jumped off the table and hung himself.

One TEACHER at the school I went to -- slammed a dog against the wall -- I told her I would kick her butt if she EVER did that again and then I reported her.

The big corporate place? One of the meanest people I ever saw. She would KICK the dogs into the kennels.

MOST groomers I saw were abusive. I repeat MOST of them I saw were abusive. To be a super groomer 13 dogs + a day you have to be rough.

Out of all the ones I knew, I would feel safe with 3 of them, 4 including my cousin who runs her own thing.

A woman came to "novice" me and asked me to do her retired, standard poodle, show dog. I didn't want to do it, but I was told by her that her dog began to act funny when she came home. AND she was frightened to go near the bathroom. One of the groomer's employee's told her, on the side, that the groomer would punch the dogs, then lock them in the bathroom somtimes roughing them up in there.

Now, this retired show dog was GREAT. You would say, "open" and she would open her legs. Sit, stand, lay and she NEVER struggled -- so to punch this dog was just pure meaness. (Not that punching a dog is EVER right, but if her excuse was dicipline -- well this was a perfect dog)

My advice? Get a clipper. Not a cheapy but one from a grooming site. An Andis or Oster. Get a 5, 7 and 10F blade and blade oil.

You can do an okay job. To get any lines out of the fur just shave them backwards -- from tail to head - it will be smoother.

You can have the nails clipped IN FRONT OF YOU at the VET for about $10.00

The groomers with the WINDOWS is not safe. WHY? Children bang on the windows when you are using scissors around the eyes and mouth. The dog jumps and it is very likely that one of theose times the dog will get poked in the eye or have their tongue cut.

The dog/cat needs to be in a quiet place with no distractions.

I'd do it myself if I were you.

If you e-mail me or PM me I can send you some infor and sites. If you live in New Jersey, my cousin is there and she is GREAT.

Edited by Dot Matrix

OUR LITTLE DOG GETS VERY PRISSY AND STRUTS ABOUT FOR A FEW DAYS AFTER SHE'S GROOMED. THE IMPROVED APPEARANCE AND, HUM, SCENT (TO US, ANYWAY) SEEMS TO BOOST HER SELF-CONFIDENCE. WE TOOK HER TO AN ABUSIVE GROOMER ONCE--KNEW IT BY THE WAY SHE ACTED WHEN I PICKED HER UP--NEVER TOOK HER THERE ANYMORE. THE PAST TWO GROOMERS SAY THEY LOVE HER AND THINK SHE'S SO SWEET AND SHE'S HAPPY WHEN WE PICK HER UP, SO I ASSUME THEY'RE NICE TO HER.