GreaseSpot Cafe

Sturgis Bike Week

YIdon'tgotochurch

My wife has offered to keep an eye on a neighbor's home while they go to Sturgis.

Several weeks ago, some cable channel had an hour long review of the event. Seems to me, that is where we should go to meet up some year. A ROA reunion for lack of a better term.

Think about it! (Then scream! ! ! ) They have camping, rv hookups, live music and funny people exposing themselves for cheering patrons. And it's more centrally located for those of you in Montana and Tennessee.

Then we could start a Harley Davidson training program. A 4 year training program with apprentice and interim years. We could graduate and go forth into areas of concern, interest, and greed and move the Harley logo over the world.

BOOM! ! ! ! !

Oh man! ! ! I just fell asleep at my computer and had the weirdest dream.

I told you I was ina perpectual state of dormant mental awareness! ! ! !

There's always the Burning Man in the desert. I hear that is even more exciting. Music, Camping, pottying in trash buckets, producing artwork, burining it down, and lot's of nudity (there are also family camp sites for those wanting to avoid the public displays from what I am told). I was going to go this year for the first time, but time and money were a factor in my remaining home this time around.

It sounded to me like the ROA with a bit of immorality.

It sounded to me like the ROA with a bit of immorality.

Have you been? :biglaugh: "a bit of immorality" is kind of a major understatement. :wink2: NOT that I know anything about that or immorality. :who_me:

Jim - I even have TWO showers, 4 sinks and LOTS of soap!

Some pics from Burning Man last year:

Sturgis! This event occurs every year about the time we used to drive, crawl, hitchhike to ROA. One year, hubby and I drove to ROA with our LC. He had bribed us into buying something he owned that we did not need and could not afford, because HE was so poor and was in deep doo doo over debt. Hubby paid part down on this item (which we did not need and could not use) and owed him the rest. The bribe? A trip with him to ROA ... free. Hubby bit. We drove with him and family to Ohio, but had no money to get home. LC did not offer to drive us home. We were stuck in Ohio. Hubby went to visit family elsewhere and I hitchhiked home - about 2000 miles!

Long and short of it, I hitched a ride as far as Sturgis with some believers and got dropped off. WOW! My first ride was in the back of a trailor with six or seven Harley riders and their busted bikes. They had all been in accidents. Some were openly bleeding! Others had bandages. It was kinda like being in a 3rd World Country in a war zone. Needless to say, I was somewhat outta place and thankful to get outta there!

That's my Sturgis experience and I'm glad I lived through it!

Clam

"STURGIS, S.D. - American Indian tribes trying to protect their sacred Bear Butte have purchased land around the Black Hills historic site to keep it out of the hands of developers eager to serve bikers who roar into town every year for a raucous road rally.

According to Meade County records, three tribes have spent $1.3 million over the last two decades to buy 2.6 square miles of land around usually serene Bear Butte, where colorful prayer flags line a hiking trail and Indians have come for centuries to fast and hold ceremonies.

For a week every August, the sound of the South Dakota wind is replaced in the hills by the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. This year's rally is Aug. 7-13, and Indians from several tribes are camping out near the butte in protest of bars and other entertainment venues they feel violate the sanctity of the 3,100-foot mountain.

"The mountain is sacred to us," said George Whipple, executive director of Tribal Land Enterprise, an arm of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. "Therefore, the cultural and spiritual value of the land was what was significant to us. By keeping with that tradition, we're also keeping it from being developed into a beer garden.""

"STURGIS, S.D. - American Indian tribes trying to protect their sacred Bear Butte have purchased land around the Black Hills historic site to keep it out of the hands of developers eager to serve bikers who roar into town every year for a raucous road rally.

According to Meade County records, three tribes have spent $1.3 million over the last two decades to buy 2.6 square miles of land around usually serene Bear Butte, where colorful prayer flags line a hiking trail and Indians have come for centuries to fast and hold ceremonies.

For a week every August, the sound of the South Dakota wind is replaced in the hills by the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. This year's rally is Aug. 7-13, and Indians from several tribes are camping out near the butte in protest of bars and other entertainment venues they feel violate the sanctity of the 3,100-foot mountain.

"The mountain is sacred to us," said George Whipple, executive director of Tribal Land Enterprise, an arm of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe. "Therefore, the cultural and spiritual value of the land was what was significant to us. By keeping with that tradition, we're also keeping it from being developed into a beer garden.""

Thanks, Top. ;)

One of my "things to do in life" was to go to Sturgis for Bike Week...until about 2 years ago when I went to Sturgis to move a friend back to Kansas.

Although the town thrives on the money made from Bike Week, it's sad to see such historic land be used in such a way.

I was there for less than 24 hours, but I still heard the voices of the ancestors calling in the winds and falling with the snow.

Very, very sacred land up there...

Just think of the opportunity to witness at Sturgis. Or sell WOW Burgers. Can you imagine the national athem at 7am? Is there a state song? Maybe all my ex's?

The neat thing is that you'd probably never have to hitchhike home if your of the female persuassion.

I told you I was in a perpectual state of dormant mental awareness! ! ! !