GreaseSpot Cafe

Grandma's Obscene License Plate

Pirate1974

A 74-year old Ohio woman has had the same personalized license plate for the past ten years. Every year she's had it renewed by mail with no problem...until now.

This year the Great State of Ohio, in the person of the Department of Motor Vehicles (Motto: We can keep you here all freaking day if we feel like it!) informed her that she could not renew her plate and in fact, she would have to give it up because it had been judged to be obscene.

This is her license plate:

9628970320x240ee0.th.jpg

Now to her these initials stood for Northwood Tree Farm, a business that she had owned with her late husband, but to the sharp-eyed defenders of public decency in Columbus, it meant something completely different.

Baffled, she visited her local DMV office to inquire as to what could possibly be obscene about these four letters. The helpful clerk whispered to her that in the cyber-world, "NWTF" stands for "now what the f***", of course. Her reaction" "You gotta be kidding me." The Ohio DMV, not known for their sense of humor except when it comes to making fun of drivers license photos, told her she could appeal the decision, which she is planning to do. In my personal experience of almost 40 years dealing with these DMV drones, I don't give her much of a chance to win.

By the way, this fine lady's name is (I swear I am not making this up) Pat Niple.

I wonder if the state would let her have her last name on her license plate?

WOW!! I'd think they'd want to have happy motorists everywhere. Can you imagine passing her on the road? I'll bet she gets honks and waves everywhere she drives. :biglaugh:

My mom's plate says STKYBN - wonder what they think of that one.......... <_<

In FL all the "Share the Road" bicycle plates end in EAT ---- makes for some very interesting plates, esecially when the first 3 letters end in 69. My favorite is I69 EAT.

LOL!

Mama's, by the way, stands for Stickybuns - She's called "TheStickybun Lady" cause she makes them for everyone, but all her friends in KY tell her they KNOW it really stands for Straight KY Bourbon. :D

A neighbor's was 2N10SE.

Back in WayDale days, I passed a car on the road with EXTWI for a plate. Was way too paranoid to post about it though. I still wonder what it means and who it might be. :spy:

I've had personalized plates for quite sometime. My first was PAWSCAT on a '67 Merc Cougar. My next was CUGRLVR on a '94 Merc Cougar. I became miffed because I didn't get a space between CUGR and LVR. But I saw seven characters and a space on lots of plates in my state like HORS LVR. Anyway, I kept the plates but let them lapse and sold or traded the Cougars. Now I don't have a personalized plate registered on my vehicles, mostly because their gettin' too expensive, but because I'm still miffed about the lack of a space. Now I have a state issued plate that reads and I kid you not, 1A CM269. I won't surrender that for anything.