GreaseSpot Cafe

Called Back

Eagle

Recently a friend of mine finished up on the Ohio Military Reserve. It is a State Defense Force under the governor of Ohio. They are made up of a lot of veterans of former wars and have been plugging in to duties normally held by the Guard, but the Guard in Ohio has been shipped over to Iraq, or at least a great deal of it has. The state asks for voluteers, as well as the federal government calling some of us back to duty, even at late ages. One of our guys in the Ohio Reserve was called back to duty in Iraq. A colonel stepped into his duties and because of a shortage of men, I was asked to come back. So I did recently.

It is rare one from the State Defense Forces are called into action but it happens. I returned at my old rank but was given a command. My job is to help build the forces back up. A lot had left the Brigade before I was called up. I was put in charge of HHC.

For those that are interested and are veterans, you can sign up with a state defense force in your state and serve under the governor. The State Defense Force was formerly called the Ohio Militia, but due to the bad name given by other "militias" they changed the name to State defense Forces.

Just a plug to those who may want to continue military service and fill in at stateside for those going to Iraq.

Eagle

Oh yes, three more things, the first, the State Defense Force is a volunteer force - completely - with no pay - like the American militia of old. They are not under the president but under the governor. They are paid if called up for duty but the weekends are without pay. We do it because we are trying to help in the cause in Iraq by helping the units who left.

The second thing is that many, but not all, states have them. Not all can get in in their state.

The third thing is...as we said...we CAN be called up by the President to serve in Iraq. Some already have. So I guess we are NOT too old to fight if your physical was okay. At that point you are considered full time military and under the president and are paid as such.

They wear traditional Army uniforms and rank and insignia, but are very much like the militia in "The Patriot", except the war is not here in the United States at this time (so we think...)

My unit is Military Police.

Eagle

I'm going to save any comments on the war for the political forum where it probably belongs. But I do want to thank you for being willing to serve our country when needed. My family and I thank you.

I wish there were a lot more people like yourself willing to put themselves in positions of service, in this case - it is military experience that's needed.

I wish more would get ingo other kinds of service as well. I learned a lot while I was able to do it, and I hope to get back into it again. I was better for having done it.

I hope you stay out of harm's way and can pop in now and then to the café. I know all of us certainly wish you the best!

"Smokey"? Are you sure it's not "Pokey" because of that finger stuck in your ear? :blink:

I don't even have the words to express my appreciation for our military and, then to see this sort of thing.... well, just melts my heart. :wub:

I think it's a good thing. Too bad ol' Clinton, in his infinite idiocy, gave local militias a bad name.

Local militias perform a necessary function. I know various non politically correct things have been attributed to local militias by the looney left, but having been exposed to that and even having participated to a limited degree, the only thing really noticable is that most are trying to recapture lost youth.

Typically, their motto should be "We stand and fight because we're too old and fat to run."

Hey Eagle...

if ya know of anyone comin' over here to Victory South...have them look me up...ask for Smokey

OFM - one of the PM's for one of my A/F contracts is TSgt Smokey (last name omitted) as well. How are we supposed to tellyou guys apart? - laffs

Hey if there is any chance you will make it out to West 2007 let me know so I can buy you a beer or 10. We'll have a booth there which I will only be at for some meetings with some Navy and USMC customers but if you are able to come I will make sure there is some set aside time for some cold ones at Seaport Village or someplace equivalent.

Edited by RumRunner

my hat is off to our boys and girls serving our country

i have 4 sons and 3 of them are serving now

one navy

one army

one marine What's wrong with that kid anyway? just kidding son i love ya

my navy son has the job this month to go to peoples homes who have had a son or daughter who has lost thier lives in G.W.' war

what a hell of a job! please pray for him

his name is jason

my hat is off to our boys and girls serving our country

i have 4 sons and 3 of them are serving now

one navy

one army

one marine What's wrong with that kid anyway? just kidding son i love ya

my navy son has the job this month to go to peoples homes who have had a son or daughter who has lost thier lives in G.W.' war

what a hell of a job! please pray for him

his name is jason

Hey Hey - nothing wrong with any of the MEF's!!! All of the above are my customers. I have been with them in field units for training on our systems. The ME sucks the same for all of them. Every one of those men and women deserve our utmost respect regardless of political ideologies.

Prayers for Jason. as well as your others.

V/R,

RR

Wow, more military here than thought of.

Just called back, so I don't know what Victory South is, and West 2007 I don't know either. Sounds like I should go to both of them. Let me know what they are and how I can go.

Just found out that our Mess unit (cooking crew) apparently is needed in Iraq, so our "militia" cooks may end up being called over there.

Back here, we'll be eating at freakin' McDonalds...

God Bless all you guys and gals here that have served, are serving, and will serve...

Eagle

coolchef,

Bless your heart for your family choosing the military. I have 4 nephews serving of which 2 have spent 2 years each and the 3rd is there now in his 1st. Although there seems to be something going on with his assignment that can't be spoken of. I just know the kid.

When his mom died when he was a little guy and he'd had a couple of years with her gone then his uncle (my brother) died suddenly and he'd been the one to go in and take over for my sister when she was bed ridden. He gave up his job to become an in-home provider so my brother-in-law could work. So this uncle was a bit more to my nephews than just an uncle. Well after all this heart ripping exposure he said to me one day "Aunt Kathy, it seems the world looks different when you've been in the shoes". I was stunned at his understanding. But then to brag a little bit. I believe it was the summer after his mom had died the school system hired him for the summer to teach the faculty new computer software. He is a brilliant young man, as is his brother who is in higher levels of communication.

Boy I got off track a bit didn't I!

I think when our young men and women choose to serve in a time where their own country is divided (and rightfully so) well when they then serve it is admirable. Nothing less!!!!!

My prayers for your family. :love3:

thanks kathy!!

eagle i am a vet but not really

when i was drafted they wouldn't let me in

they said my job was critical for govt. security

i was one of about 80 people who spliced coax cable and at the time the cables carried 10's of thousands of goverebment lines

so i did the ng thing for 7 years as a mess cook

i would go back today if i could but i don't they would take me

i am 57yo but in oretty good shape

i live in maine

do you know how i could find out if they would take me?