GreaseSpot Cafe

My Eagle Scout

Pirate1974

Yes, I'm afraid the old man has to do a little bragging.

My son Brian became an Eagle Scout this past Sunday. He's been in Scouts since he was in 1st grade as a Tiger and old dad has been a den leader, Cubmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, all that stuff. It's been a lot of fun, even the camping trips where I thought sure I was going to freeze to death.

At one time, it looked like he wasn't going to make it because he had to get everything completed before his 18th birthday, but he pulled it out with a month to spare.

For his project, he built a patio at our church in memory of my wife's father who died in 2004. Brian's the first Eagle Scout in either one of our families and it's a shame his grandfather couldn't be there Sunday to see him get it.

He's a pretty good kid.

post-488-1156302601_thumb.jpg

post-488-1156302628_thumb.jpg

post-488-1156302699_thumb.jpg

What a great accomplishment! Congratulations to both of you.

(I hope it's not bad form to say he's quite handsome)

The patio is lovely and surely it will serve as a wonderful tribute for many many years. It was a great idea.

Pirate -- congrats, to both you and Brian.

You for being the example, and to him for following through.

Short story here --- Friend's of mine have a son, who went the same route.

Stellar child, dedicated, knew what he wanted, and was contending for Eagle Scout status.

He was interested in fiddle, but didn't have one, and was shopping around town for a cheapie.

Aric (his name), asked me to look at one he had picked out. It was junk, and I told him so.

Then I got to thinking -- I had 5 here at the house (all decent), and only played two of them.

I told him if he wanted, I'd sell him one of mine -- cheap, cause he didn't have much money.

He picked out the best of the one's I offered. :( :D

Sold it to him for over $200.00 less than I paid for it and he got it for about $250.00.

(do they teach *smarts* in the eagle scout program??)

Regardless -- he had two parties held in his honor (several/ (many) years ago).

One was for Eagle Scout, and the other was graduation from High School.

I couldn't make the eagle scout party, but I was able to get to the High School graduation party.

I made it a point to apologize to him for not being at the Scout party.

Even though both are accomplishments, the Eagle Scout was the more important of the two.

Lots of folks graduate from High School -- not so the Eagle Scout Program.

We picked a bit during the festivities, and I was sorry I sold that fiddle.

He made it sound good, but I'm glad it has a good home.

Godspeed to Brian. :) Eagle Scout is an accomplishment that few attain!

Congratulations. I've been a scout leader and currently am a merit badge counsellor, so I understand what's involved.

As far as that 18th birthday approaching: I've had my share of last minute requests for help because a scout was approaching the deadline!