GreaseSpot Cafe

Lookin for a Book

mstar1

This was a Way book, that was rare and by special order only. I had a copy once which was marked as "Number 23", so presumably there werent that many floating around. I lent it out about 15 years ago and never got it back and it is one book that I would like to see again.

I think it is called The Color Concordance (or something very close to that) and crossreferences every word used to reference any word denoting any color as well as all the other translations of each word in 4 languages (I think). It started out as a Corps research paper that was expanded for many years, it may have been by Beth Lowder and/or John or Meg Kish. Its just eons of dry tables without any theological conclusions

I'd be curious to see it again.

Anyone have a copy? or one that they wouldnt mind parting with?

dang meant to put this in the open forum....

if any of you mods want to move this have at it

Edited by mstar1

I'd not heard of that book until I read your post. I checked ebay and they don't list one. Google has something, but I doubt it's what you're looking for.

Amazon.com seems to be aware of it, but not have a copy. I say that because it was published by American Christian Press in 1984, so I'm thinking it's the same book.

http://www.amazon.com/concordance-biblical...TF8&s=books

I remember that book. I never saw it, but I remember Meg Kish talking about it.

The whole idea gave me the creeps. They had a couple of classes at hq called 'poiema', where all the artists in the way got together and learned what made art 'right on' the word.

They would basically trash great artists like Degas, saying he was 'technically' good, but his use of light and composition was devilish.

Too bad Michaelangelo never had the pfal class.

I couldn't stand the thought of being so limited, and was mentally rejecting much of it even as I sat and smiled.

I never saw that book, but the book "God's Word in Culture" had a chapter that limited the view of the

art world as well. Seems straight lines and corners were evil.

(I thought they had a point about a character's eyes being in shadow,

but having said that, so what?)

In wayworld, you are expected to be able to trash ANYTHING not produced IN wayworld-

classic art, classical literature, technology, movies, television, radio, magazines, newspapers.

My personal favourite was a criticism of untouched wilderness in Utah.

"Everything is so out of order here- God would have never created such an irregular and desolate

landscape. "

But no, I've never heard of the book you mentioned before you mentioned it.

That's why I left the thread alone-I didn't want to dilute it with discussions of a different book.

I remember, years ago, we were watching a video narrated by (I believe) Meg Kish about the Word in culture or art or some such thing...

As an example of what not to do, a painting was shown having a natural, rural setting (trees, flowers, etc.) with a Bible in the foreground. Because the shadow of the tree fell across the Bible, the painting was putting the Word in a dark shadow and (supposedly) had a negative effect upon the viewer.

:confused:

I'm so glad I don't have to listen to that crap anymore.

Meg, do you still really believe that stuff?

(btw, I thought it was a pretty, peaceful picture. Shows you what I know!)

OMG! I was in rez when the full blows of this came down. Seems that someone had the bright idea to look in to (SURPRISE!) Bullinger's works on color and music. He posited that since there were seven colors in the rainbow and seven notes (other than the repeating C) in an octave - the colors could be put into harmony much like chords. Then, additionally, colors were looked up in the Bible and associated a spirtual meaning - much like numbers.

In Emporia, several artists were chosen (some even before their 6 months of not being allowed to touch their craft, I think) to paint at least 4 paintings. They were given a limited number of colors to work with that were chosen by Beth Lowder and someone else. LCM in his ignorance made a HUGE deal out of this - that only certain colors could be used. Stupid idiot knew about as much about art and color as he did about dancing and music. It is common for an artist to limit his or her pallette. He made it seem like some big freaking deal. geez :asdf:

Then there was the other theory that came from all of this - that music written in a minor key is somehow evil. :realmad:

Excuse me - I have to go finish a painting of anything I want with any colors I choose while I listen to music written in a minor key. :biglaugh:

Evil lives on.... :evilshades: <=====notice dooj's shades on the devil - LOL

Edited by doojable

Thanks everyone for looking--I wholeheartedly agree with you all on the way they made it part of their lifes work to stunt any ounce of creativity any artistically minded individual might have.

God forbid anyone should actually think and/or feel for themselves.

Their take on art was one of the bizarrest empty things that I have ever lived through, and that they willingly cut themselves off from some of the greatest things ever done by man--well ----is beyond me...

My recollection of the book is that it was more of a concordance type thingy that stayed away from drawing any conclusions at all but was just lists (pretty dry as i said in the first post) of every usage of anything or any word pertaining to color--so this particular book was neutral except for providing biblical references to color, which may come in handy for me from time to time or as an aid in providing some inspiration away from way theology....

Anyway-I was curious and I appreciate you all looking.

My recollection of the book is that it was more of a concordance type thingy that stayed away from drawing any conclusions at all but was just lists (pretty dry as i said in the first post) of every usage of anything or any word pertaining to color--so this particular book was neutral except for providing biblical references to color, which may come in handy for me from time to time or as an aid in providing some inspiration away from way theology....

Hey there Mstar -- this sounds familiar to me as well. My ex was (is) really into weaving,

spinning, embroidery, tatting lace, crocheting (sp?) -- you name it.

She loved the poiema stuff, and as a librarian -- she also had the tendency to *cross-reference*

a lot of verses found in the sns tapes about the topics she was interested in.

A big one for her was color. I do remember that she had some sort of color book she used

when choosing color *organizing* for whatever weaving she was working on.

Now -- that color book thing I mentioned may or may not be the book you are talking about,

but given her penchant for all things twi (back then -- she's out now too),

I wouldn't be surprised if she had that book.

When she moved out of the house here, she left all the twi books behind, and they are still here.

But if she had that book, it would have been the one that she would have taken with her.

She doesn't live far from me -- and I do want to call her sometime soon, about other stuff.

I'll make it a point to ask if she has heard of it, or has a copy.

Will let you know what she has to say.

:)

Heard of this book as well from John or Beth at an ROA some time ago. I seem to remember them saying they had only bound a small number of copies. Maybe 25 or 250, something like that. May be hard to come by.

:offtopic:

Here's my favorite unscriptural TWI platitude: "EVERYTHING GIVES OFF SOMETHING!" Better be damn careful what you're stuff gives off. And if your an artist, you really better watch it.

Attention TWI watchdogs: Let me break it down for you. All color is a reflection or refraction of light. God is all light. So shut the H up about evil colors and good colors. You're attributing evil to God. How you like me now...

I remember the mention of the book too at some point from Meg K!sh, I believe. I think I may have even thumbed through it, but don't know where you might find something like that.

I think they must have ditched the "godly color" idea at some piont, perhaps after Athelete of da Spurt. It seemed to me that after that most twi painting/ posters had to be done with all the colors of the rainbow, to make it fabulously gay...I mean Godly.

Everything gives off something....lol. I wonder if they know that everything Way Prod and "Devine Design", or what ever they call it now, gives off is LAME and BORING and UNORIGINAL.

Edited by lindyhopper