GreaseSpot Cafe

homework help again, please

excathedra

sorry. the teacher said to research on the internet. this is the internet....

if you're in a "kindly mood" this evening.....

compare life today to life in 1492:

transportation (got that one)

food (got that one)

clothing (got that one)

health (got that one)

education -- not quite sure -- no formal schools vs. colleges today ?

communication -- columbus and native americans could not understand each other ? is that what you think it should be ? and now english is a common language. or maybe we should get into the internet and all ?

--------------------

arts --

recreation --

having a problem with these last 2

---------------------

my son's been on the computer researching a long time and he's about to give up

and so am i

Gender revolution of the 60's in the U.S. and Europe

Increased industrialization of third world countries making them competitive against the G8

Large although incomplete stand down of strategic nuclear weapons in Russia and the USA and accompanying rise in nuclear weapons capabilities in third wirld countries

Cell phones

Global communication

Enhanced crop production techniques for third world countries

Fall of the Soviet Union as it was in the 40's

Man on the moon July 1969

Satellites used to monitor the global environment - sorry had to throw that one in

Digital computers period and now digital computers in most US homes

Much improved medical care in areasa that involved surgery - sorry had to throw that one in too

Much lower child birt fatality rates for women

Women hld CEO positions at some top international copmanies - now that NEVER would happend in 1942

Transatlantic and Pacific air travel for the ordinary citizen

Hope that is what you are looking for

columbus and native americans could not understand each other ?

Columbus understood that they had gold, the natives understood he had big weapons.

They may not have discussed it--sign language maybe? but they understood some things about each other.

Arts-well Ive seen lots of the native crafts from those days and they are exquisite,everything was handmade and most of it was adorned with all sorts of artwork

Europe had painting scultpture, architecture and Im sure other things that I cant think of right now.

Recreation--I know the new world had all sorts of ball games, couldnt tell you what they did in Europe.

Edited by mstar1

Ironic ,isn't it, that the man generally heralded as discovering this country spoke,of all things, Spanish.

In fact, by the time early sessions of congress were being held, serious consideration was given to conducting sessions in German as well as English since that language was so widely spoken.

More to the topic,though, A quick Google of 15th & 16th century Spain unearths a mother lode of information on life and arts of that time in Spain.

Mstar is right. Columbus felt he had a mission from God to bring light to dark lands, but the moment he saw the Indians had gold, that became his goal.

One interesting note. Columbus and his men automatically assumed authority over the natives they met when they landed in 1492. This gave them the right to forcibly remove some of these natives and bring them along the rest of his travels as interpreters. Doing so, of course, set a bad example with later tragic repercussions.

I don't know if you even want to get into this, but one thing that is a huge difference between life in 1492 and life now is that 1492 most motivations were, at least initially, based upon the "need" to bring Christianity to all parts of the world. Just prior to Columbus getting his long requested three ships, Spain had just won a war with the Moors, and the royalty of Spain felt that Columbus's journey would be a great way to pay God back for the victory. In today's world, with a few notable exceptions, life, government, and corporate decisions are not based upon a perception of what God's will is. Quite the opposite.

Couldn't find anything on games, just some stuff from Puritan life, but that a hundred plus years after, and even then, at least here, there was nothing much available.

None of this may help, but it's my little contribution. When is the assignment due?

If it's not too late...

I thought about what the sailors on the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria might have done for recreaction on their long journey.

Best I can tell, draughts (checkers) were played then, along with card and dice games. On more of a sports note, there was archery and (yes, even back then) there was bocce.

These last two probabl;y weren't played on the ships....but they were played in those days.

Several years ago, on a trip to the Outer Banks, I happened to visit the Queen Elizabeth II which was docked in the town of Manteo. The Queen Elizabeth II is a replica of one of the ships that brought Sir Walter Raleigh's colonists to NC, the Lost Colony.

Aboard the ship were several fellows dressed in 16th century sailor garb who were supposed to represent the crew. These guys were supposed to stay in character at all times, speaking in Elizabethan English, and you were able to engage them in conversation.

We asked one these gentlemen what they did for fun when they were in port. His response was that their main form of recreation was swinging dead cats on a string and "swiving with the wenches."

Wanting to be historically accurate, of course, we asked the meaning of the unfamiliar term "swiving." After much prodding and beating around the proverbial bush, it turned out that "swiving" is what's now commonly referred to as the "f word."

Probably shouldn't include that in the homework, I suppose.