GreaseSpot Cafe

Questions for Firefox fans

Linda Z

DMiller mentioned in another thread how much better he likes Firefox than Internet Explorer, and I've heard Firefox mentioned by others.

I am not that crazy about changing from one software or technology to another, but it sounds like there might be benefits to doing so in this case.

So my questions are: Why do you like it so much? (Be specific, please.) And, how big a pain is it to switch? (Keep in mind that we're not all computer geniuses!)

To the mods: I know this probably belongs in Computer Questions, but could you leave it here for a couple days at least, so people who don't usually venture to that forum will have a chance to see it? If Firefox is as great as I'm hearing it is, maybe lots of GS folks could benefit from reading about it. Thanks.

Firefox is updated very regularly. IE(internet explorer), save for the new release recently, was all but abandoned in development hell. Firefox adhers to web standards set for the whole planet, IE likes to set it's own standards.

While all online apps will have security problems come up now and again, Firefox addresses them very quickly, IE does not always address things immediately.

Firefox has 100's of extensions for it's browser. Extensions are little addins to customize your internet experience. For instance, Firefox has an extension that lets me see if I am being sent to a site other than advertised. If I click on a suspicious link claiming to be Paypal, it will let me know that I am indeed being routed to server in the Ukraine.

Firefox is FREE and when you install it, it carries over all the necessary items from IE to make the transition as smooth as possible including your favorite links.

Firefox is developed by the Mozilla company. The same group that made Netscape, one of the first successful browsers for the internet, that got it's life sucked from it when Microsoft used it's power to put it all but out of business.

Try it, it is harmless to install and can easily be removed.

Well, something happened when I Installed Firefox, that made my computer receive an error when I go to the Pete's Pond web page. I tried uninstalling firefox, reinstalling (and upgrading) Explorer, and then reinstalling Firefox (at dmiller's suggestion). Also I reinstalled RealPlayer in an effort to be able to go to Pete's Pond web page.

I have computer son who will, I hope be able to fix whatever happened. I think it's a microsoft-induced error because their software is famous for not allowing other things to work, or making them work inferior manner (My experience here is with WordPerfect).

I downloaded Firefox with absolutely no problems and have loved it ever since!

The main reason I like it is because I frequently have multiple websites open at the same time. Instead of having a bunch of icons at the bottom of my screen, with Firefox I have only the one Firefox icon and open multiple tabs instead. It makes it so much easier to surf the web, imo. Especially at work where I have tons of other applications open as well.

Also, all the other things Paw mentioned. :)

Since I'm not always too good at explaining things, here's a screen shot of my Firefox screen with six different websites open. Apparently I don't have Paint on this computer, so I pasted it into a Word doc.

I changed to Firefox a couple or more years ago to see if it was true that I would get less popup action. It was true. I hate popups.

Only occasionally do I have to use IE, like when I downloaded some transcription software directly from the company rather than install it via CD. The stuff didn't download to anywhere my Search feature could find, but on their end it said it had downloaded successfully.

Then the lady asked me if I used Firefox or Internet Explorer and acted like Firefox was unacceptable. For some reason the work stuff I need will only download to IE.

I'm flexible - it's worth that minor hassle to have zero popups.

I've used Netscape/Firefox/Mozilla since the beginning and only keep IE around because Microsoft support doesn't always work right with Mozilla. I've always used the email and usenet client in Mozilla because Microsoft Outlook was suspect for so long.

I still run across a website from time to time that won't render properly with Mozilla so I still keep an updated copy of IE for that. Also, if you do any web page development, you *really* should have all the popular browsers on your computer so that you can verify that the web pages you create will render properly on all of the browsers.

Yupperz, download it, get the 'extension's, and try it out. I use it, do keep IE updated too, but nearly always use Firefox on our computers as the primary browser. Flock is another. Overall, I feel I have better control over my browsing. Firefox also has tabs, each page gets tabbed amd makes it a little easier to follow what you're doing. I have the 3 shortcuts on my desktop now, can' start up whichever I want.

Edited by socks

Best Firefox feature:

Close Firefox completely and

Go to your start menu and click on Run.

Paste in this command.

firefox.exe -ProfileManager

This will give you the ability to have different people use Firefox in their own way.

Different profiles, bookmarks, extensions, tabs, folder bars, history, etc.

Make sure the "Do not show this again" box is UNchecked though so when you start Firefox you can choose your profile.

This is terrific for homes that have multiple people using Firefox as a browser.

For more advanced users type about:config into your address bar and customize Firefox right on the screen.

Just double click an option line and a dialouge box will appear to make changes.

You will see lots of options so don't go nuts changing things right away do a little research first.

There is lots more you can do with Firefox that leaves IE in the dust but if you are adventerous go ahead and download Thunderbird email client which compliments Firefox and is the best. If you use Outlook Express you should absolutely change but DO NOT uninstall or delete Outlook Express from Windows (thanks to Bill Gates for his BS software).

If you use Firefox you will notice a big reduction in Spyware, almost none. Make sure you change your file extensions so IE stays closed when you click on some file types.

To Kit Sober get the Realplayer virus crap off your computer immediately and everything will run a lot smoother and after you do Defrag your drive and download Itunes or somthing else.

Love ya.

DMiller mentioned in another thread how much better he likes Firefox than Internet Explorer, and I've heard Firefox mentioned by others.

I am not that crazy about changing from one software or technology to another, but it sounds like there might be benefits to doing so in this case.

Keep Internet Explorer, but only use it when "needed" (Microsoft websites and a few other places.)

So my questions are: Why do you like it so much? (Be specific, please.) And, how big a pain is it to switch? (Keep in mind that we're not all computer geniuses!)

Why do I like it so much? The basic program is cleaner and leaner than any Internet Explorer.

Any time a problem is discovered, exploits are patched in an an average of

"just-under-a-day". IE, the average is "about-3-days", and THAT only since the US Federal Govt

announced that a delay of over a month meant they were going to recommend consumers switch OFF

of IE---then the month's delay was over in 18 hours!

So long as you follow the instructions, it is VERY EASY to "switch."

FF will import all your Bookmarks/Favourite Sites when you install, if you tell it to.

(And you can organize them better.)

FireFox "Extensions" (add-ons) can be added for just about anything you can imagine.

Like to increase the security of your browsing experience, like I do?

There's hundreds, if not thousands, of Extensions you can add to the thing to make

it safer. With one click, I can have a virus-scan done on any link before I even surf to it.

Want to skip redirects and jump straight to the target-site? There's an Extension for that too.

Want to always see the local IP of the site you're on? Etc. etc.

The only reason IE ever added a pop-up blocker was because people were saying

that FF with its DEFAULT pop-up blocker, and adding ONLY "AdBlock" made for a superior

browsing experience, with fewer ads.

And, yes, the option to use the Tabbed browsing and open a new page in a tab OR a new

window is very handy. (I use both for different things, and the tabs are in the basic FF program.)

Here's a simpleton's opinion:

Why do you like it so much? (Be specific, please.)

1. It's not much of a learning curve from Explorer. Options for how you want to tweak it are found under the TOOLS drop down menu, and you can change your text viewing size by going under the VIEW drop down menu. If you don't have the time or the patience for learning a new program, then you will love Firefox.

2. The pop-up blocker can't be beat. You can accept pop-ups from certain sites or ban all of them - it's up to you.

3. You can view all of your bookmarked sites in tabs - like you have tabs in an Excel workbook of all the worksheets within the workbook - similar concept. Great if you're monitoring chat and reading posts in GSC, for example. You don't have to open a different window for each and clutter up your tool bar.

4. The HELP section is written in ENGLISH - seriously - it's not criptic or full of MicroSoft-ese - it's easy to understand - great for someone who is very literal, like me.

And, how big a pain is it to switch? (Keep in mind that we're not all computer geniuses!)

1. HECK NO! See my response under #1, above.

2. If you don't like it - Explorer will be there for you - it's up to you.

God first

Beloved all

God loves you my dear friends

I use Firefox mostly but for some things I still use Internet Explorer

or if I do not find what I am looking for on one I search on the other

I have had no errors on either

but as to why I like it - I am not sure but it seems faster and easier

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Besides the popup-blocker Firefox is just miles ahead of competitors. I use it in my business and personal use.

I still have IE, but that's mainly for Yahoo.

If you are going to go with Firefox, go with g-mail also. Gmail is also cleaner (less if ever any spam mail... so far, in 6 months, I have had no spam).

Limitations with Gmail.... You can't copy from a document into an compose email page.

Also, the only way you get Gmail is by invitation. Someone has to enter your email address into a box on the email page. Then you are sent the invitation. So, there are less people using it. Less people trying to send you junk.

Go for Firefox, you'll appreciate the ease of operation

This post was brought to by the makers of Firefox. Firefox is not responsible for anyone who drinks and types or post's on Greasespot. Remember, if you drink and drive....take your own dxmn truck! ! !

I bought a copy of Netscape 3.0 at Wal Mart back when the internet was just coming of age. I used that through version 4.9 when they switched over to that crappy Netscape version 6.0 (why did they skip version 5 anyway?). I have been fighting having to use Internet Explorer (or as I call it, EXPLODER) since the first time it crashed on me.

I've always loved the original Netscape product (which is what Mozilla and FireFox are, except they've been constantly and painstakeingly updated and enhanced since version 4.9). It has always been VERY secure as far as being able to manage or eliminate popups, cookies, and SPAM among other things. The ONLY reason I keep IE around is because some lazy website developers simply use the Microsoft product exclusively and don't bother to include Opra, FireFox, Eudora, Mozilla, or any other non-Microsoft product. I see it this way, If the site doesn't allow the use of a non-Microsoft browser product, they apparently don't need my business either.

That's it for me...

Technobyte