GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie about Lonnie Frisbee

now I see

I found a blog that says it will be shown in the bay area, on a san Francisco PBS station on Oct 29th, but that doesn't mean it will be shown on that date on all PBS stations.

http://marcpitman.com/2006/06/02/interesti...id-di-sabatino/

What is for sale is the filmaker's book and pre-sales of the making of the documentary which you'll find on the lonniefrisbee.com web site, the blog indicates indicates PBS will sell the documentary.

Has anyone ever heard of the filmaker or read his book "the Jesus People Movement" by David Di Sabatino?

from jimmy doop's (unpublished) book, chapter 10, entitled "Lonnie Frisbee"

So I knew that Ted must have felt guidance from God to want to bring Lonnie home. The women never knew how many people we would be bringing home with us, and yet there was always just enough food for everybody. The Lord knew.

Steve and I sat in the back seat with Lonnie between us in our brand new 1954 Plymouth coupe with fluid drive. Someone from First Baptist Church in San Francisco gave it to us. Lonnie fit well between us since he was just about five foot six inches tall. Steve and I were comfortable with our six foot frames on each side of him. I noticed when he walked, he had a slight limp. His head was all hair, with a handsome face and a smile and laugh that charmed everyone. His voice was strong and yet, had the occasional breaking of a young man still in puberty. However, there was an appealing resonance when he spoke. He was around eighteen years old. He was so clean that I thought he might be a native. "Where ya from, kid?" I asked. "Costa Mesa." he replied.

as an aside, here's a quote from the same chapter --
On the way home in the car, Ted said he believed we should start testing the spirits who claim to be of Christ. He also said he had thrown Charlie Manson out of the mission, because he was too disruptive.
Edited by excathedra

Lonnie was the founder of the "Jesus Movement" or "Jesus Freaks." A wonderful young man. One who knew him told me he won hundreds of kids to Christ weekly/monthly.

I am looking forward to seeing this movie. The original founders of this revival were Lonnie, and Mr. Wise, Martin, Doop and Heefner.

Dopp and Heefner went with VP, while the other 3 didnt'. Either way, all true men of God, called to lead a revival to the lost hippie youth, these men led an entire generation to Christ.

Some of them I have spoken to - as to me, they are historical figures. Some of the conversations have been profound.

I'm still confused about the release date of the film. I read further on the Web site, and it looks like it's been out for a couple of years, so maybve it was first released in Nov '04. But anyway, it is supposed to be shown on PBS this month. Looks interesting.

Sunesis, it's obvious this guy was a huge force in the Jesus movement of the 60s, but I don't know if it would be correct to say he was THE founder of the movement. The flocking of the hippie youth to Jesus was happening in other parts of the country at the same time, as I recall.

I hung out with some hippie (and non-hippie) Christians in S. Calif in my pre-twi days in the late 60s who I don't think had anything to do with him. The leaders of this particular group were a Presbyterian youth minister who got booted from the church for teaching about SIT and a rich old hedonist-turned-Christian. They were into home fellowships, not churches, and they were into (now I *shudder*) lots of "personal prophecy" stuff. The latter, IMO, caused this particular group's demise.

If anyone sees this coming up on the PBS schedule, please give us a heads-up. I think it would be interesting.

• 4 weeks later...
At long last, you can purchase a copy of FRISBEE: The LIFE and DEATH of a HIPPIE PREACHER at www.lonniefrisbee.com.

The movie is a sleek and fast-paced 60 minutes, but almost everything that was in the longer version is jam packed into another 60 minutes of extras that go through some chapters that were pulled through the movie's various edits.

The DVD sells for $19.99, but we have included a BULK FRISBEE page where you can buy packs of 5, 10, 25 & 50 DVDs for major savings. We are also selling the movie poster which includes the haunting photograph of Lonnie taken by Jack Cheetham at the Blue Top Motel.

We have updated the Web site as well which also includes extra video snippets and pictures that you will not want to miss.

The documentary includes a great soundtrack of music from early Jesus music rock bands Agape, The All Saved Freak Band, Gentle Faith, Joy and Stonewood Cross. Never heard of them? That needs to change. And toward that end, very soon we will be releasing a soundtrack CD to FRISBEE with all the songs included in the movie and some extra tunes that didn't make the cut.

For those of you that are in the San Francisco and Bay Area, make sure to tune in on Sunday at 6:00 p.m. to KQED (www.kqed.org/arts/truly).

Today, we were notified that Frisbee made the front page of a Webzine devoted to San Francisco Film (www.sf360.org).

There are two upcoming screenings in December. One at Vanguard University (Costa Mesa, CA) on December 4th and at the Loft Theater in Tucson, AZ on December 28th. More details to follow on both of these.

Finally, we also have joined together with The eXtreme Tour (www.theextremetour.com) to play the movie in over 100 cities starting in April 2007. If you want to see Frisbee on the big screen, you are probably going to get your chance. More details to follow.

One final note, at the Reel Spirituality Conference a fellow went to his car and asked me to sign his frisbee, which I did and then we joked about me selling frisbees with Lonnie's face on it. You'll be glad to know we didn't do it. (Although we certainly thought about it.)

Thanks for your continued support.

Sincerely,

David Di Sabatino

www.lonniefrisbee.com

Hi LZ. From what I have read about him, he was pretty much the first one to the youth - his peers. I agree there were other missions springing up, mostly run by adults (or anyone over 30 who was not to be trusted).

Lonnie was out on the beach coming down from an acid trip when he got a message/vision he was to preach and win people to Christ. Which is immediately what he started doing.

I agree, others, older folks were establishing little places, and he hooked up with Martin, but none of them won the kids like he did.

Jim Dopp told me the story, of how Lonnie lived in a little basement room in the house they were living in. To get to Lonnie's room, you had to come in the front door, go straight through the living room and down the stairs to the basement. Jim said you'd be sitting in the living room and a steady stream of kids would come in all night. Lonnie would pack the kids in his little bedroom, they would just keep coming while the "adults" stayed upstairs. At the end of the evening Lonnie would come up and say "150 born again tonight!" or "38 born again tonight!" and then go back downstairs. Jim laughed about it, this went on every night as long as they had that house. Those were just the evenings.

I'm glad I got to talk to Jim about Lonnie. Jim had nothing but total respect and affection for him.

Yes, I think the House of Acts was where it started. Over time, as these groups grew, the movement went up north and to Canada. Martin's group, I think, and the one Lonnie stayed with became the Vineyard, which is still going strong and growing today, after all these years.

There was a lady associated with them who went to Oregon or Washington and did great things there.

I do find it interesting that those in that early meeting with VP in SF, when he got all 5 of the "leaders" of this movement together, Martin, Wise, Frisbee, Doop and Heefner, and played the class for them, that Jim Doop told me after session 2 or 3, Martin, Wise, and Frisbee got up and said, no thanks, we will not affiliate with you, we will continue to do what we have been doing and left.

Heefner and Doop went with VP. The rest is history. TWI is dying, Vineyard and others are thriving.

Jim Doop also wrote his own manuscript, which was never published. I would love to have read that.

Edited by Sunesis

I just asked netflix to carry the movie. I want to see it.

next, someone should make a factual documentary about vpw and his contribution to the christian movement.

hehe. just suggesting that makes me feel good.

Potato, how did you ask Netflix to carry it? Is there a form somewhere or an e-mail address? I'll ask them too, cause I'd love to see the movie, and its not on my PBS station. (I already wrote PBS)

go all the way to the bottom of the page, contact us, there's a link for title requests. <ironic voice>it only took me... oh... about 20 minutes to find it</ironic voice> :doh: