GreaseSpot Cafe

Rick Warren

Belle

Rick Warren - Is He Scary?

I know that when I tried my church's "40 days of purpose" study groups it was too performance based and reminiscent of TWI for my taste. I was suffering from PSTD and depression at the time, so I thought it might just be me. Now, I'm thinking I was thinkin' pert near ko-reckly 'bout his so-called 'ministry'.

What say ye?

Iremember when that "Purpose Driven blah blah blah" was a topic of threads here at greasespot and had achieved some bit of popularity.

I personally had bells, whistles, flags, stop signs, big huge guys waving their arms and all sorts of things going off for me that said "not on your life"

No Thanks. Ive been 'driven', Ive known 'driven' people in the past.

I dont anyone driving over me anymore and I certainly dont want to drive over anymore people--or drive over anymore cliffs thank you very much.

It seemed like another christian fad of the hour that would capture a bunch of people in its orbit then wear them all out soon enough.

No thanks--already did that, dont need to do it again

Edited by mstar1

God first

Beloved Belle

God loves you my dear friend

I know nothing about Rick Warren

So I just went to his board and posted two treads one "The Story of Year2027" and "Spiritual teaching Adam received and passed along to each of us"

but from first look it looks like a cult out just to get money

They will not get my money

I guess time will see if they want truth

truth being walking with God is a personal one on one walk and not follower the leader

And I play follower the leader in the Way which taught me if I can see the leader with my eyes do not follower

will this is just me

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

God first

Beloved Belle

God loves you my dear friend

I guess I will never know them

I recieved

--------------------------------------------------

tonyliston has posted a message entitled The Story of Year2027.

Message Posted on: 11/01/2006 04:48:02 AM

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by: year2027

While I have ben kick off over 1,000's boards there is a endless list of boards to join.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make that 1,000's plus 1

--------------------------------------------------------

it seems you are right my friend to judge me by my life story

is a first

thank you

Dang, Roy, they didn't even try to be nice about it, did they?

Between that and what White Dove posted on the "The Purpose Driven Life" thread, I reckon we do have a mini-Martindale wanna be raking in the dough. He's only been around a short time and already "impacted mainstream christianity" more than vee pee or martindale even pretended to. craiggers must be soooo jealous! :biglaugh:

I posted a bit on the thread about tPDL several times and after a couple of years to reflect, I find that there are things I liked about it. Much of it was Christianity 101.

BUT:

When we studied this book in a small group in our former church, one woman, the wife of the leader of the small group, got VERY EXCITED INDEED about the possibility of reproving each other daily, offering up reproofS and correctionS to everyone else. This woman already bugged me greatly as being very legalistic, always criticizing what other women wore to church, i.e. skirts should be long and pants should be loose and blouses must have long sleeves and high necks and so on. She drove me nuts to begin with but the thought of her running around reproving and correcting all the time put a quick end to my attendance at the small group. My cult-o-meter was clanging a great deal by the time we got past the chapter on love.

Any group that elevates one man (or one book) above God is a cult. IMO. These days, I'm much more interested in what Jesus has to say than what any guy who wrote a book has to say. I did read somewhere that Mr. Warren donates all the profits from his book to his church.

WG

And, vee pee gave his family property to his church, WG. :wink2:

I had the same heebee jeebee feelings when we did the small group studies too. Thankfully my church just did the thing and I don't remember anything being spoken about it since then. I wonder if they realized that it wasn't all it was cracked up to be once all the materials were delivered.

Asbury, my church, doesn't push people to do things and they certainly don't demand anything from anyone. All the activities are strictly volunteer basis and, if there's a charge, it's waived for people who can't afford it. We take up donations from the rest of the church for those things. In fact, I paid for three or four people to participate in the PDL study groups.

They paid for me to participate in one of their small group specials when I first started attending because I was so skeptical and they didn't want me to regret spending time and money on something if it wasn't what I was looking for in a church. :love3:

I think how PDL is presented is determined by WHO is presenting it. I don't know much about Rick Warren except that he's a pastor at a church in southern California who wrote a book. I probably won't ever now much about him because I don't care and refuse to put a man on a pedestal. I do think his book has done good things for churches based on how they apply them.

Unfortunately, there are lunatics in every group. The whole reproof thing one person pulled out from WG's post is an example. I studied the book twice at different churches. I never had any experiences like that. It was Church 101. I think it proposed some ideas to churches which were good. What people do with that is up to them. Hopefully they won't turn it around and hurt people.

The two group I discussed this book in were not zealous about Rick Warren or the book. It was just something to do which would give us some ideas on how to enrich our church life. We didn't agree 100% with everything in the book either. That was refreshing. :biglaugh:

Edited by Nottawayfer

Understood and that does make sense, Notta. Thing is, our group thing started with a 20-40 minute video of Rick, the man himself, in his gawd awful hawaiian shirt sounding just like a craggiers, but without the screams, yelling and spittle.

God first

Beloved Belle and others

God loves you my dear friends

Yes they did not give me time to answer any questions

They just marked and avoided me at soon as they read my story

one would think a loving group would at least talk with me unless their are a controling group and they saw in my story I will not be controled

I seen many people get in to personally judging and reproofing but that not what we read the bible to say

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

but like us here we do not do the reproofing when it comes to the bible we let the context, or were it wrote before do it or prophecy

reproofing from person to person is too remind them of how they promise to act when they joined our group and how they want others to deal with them

but I guess Rick group as never saw how Jesus reproof

Jesus would say It is written without loseing his cool giving the person why Jesus lived as he did but if the person would not give room for how Jesus wanted to live Jesus life Jesus would tell them to leave him alone

but groups like Rick want to judge and reproof by yeiling until they hurt another while thinking or acting like they are purer than all others

I am so glad Grease Spot Cafe is not that way

like me and Belle are friends we are a group of friends here

but my heart goes out to the many in that Rick's group who will get hurt

thank you

that whole 40 purpose driven to craziness is the reason I stopped checking out 2 different churches.

I found one that doesnt go with the lastest biblestore marketing hype.

It, the 40 days thing, was so reminiscent of der vig I never looked back even tho...I am still friends with others from those churches, I dont need that stuff in my life again.