GreaseSpot Cafe

Really Really Good Pea Soup

krys

Krys, I have a quick easy way to make it.

I just put a bag of split peas in the crock pot, along with some Liptons Oinion soup mix, whatever amount of water is needed and stray veggies I have hanging out in the fridge: celery, oinions, carrots.

Really easy, and oh so tasty.

Ok Krys here is mine

1 lb split peas - cleaned and soaked ( soak about 6 hours - I start this in the am and cook the soup that night.)

olive oil

4 carrots - in pieces

1 large oninon -diced

3 ribs celery - sliced

4 cloves garlic - minimum

3 goldlen potatoes -1" chunks

Chicken broth - enough to cover the whole mess!

salt & pepper

1 bay leaf

basil

2 Tbs butter in pieces

In a 6-8 quart heavy pot, heat some olive oil and saute the onions , garlic, celery, and carrots, and potatoes; about 5 minutes. Add the split peas, broth,and seasonings. Bring the broth to a boil and simmer at least on hour. Peas should be very mushy. Add butter a little at a time. Cook ten minutes more.

Good with a salad and your favorite crusty bread.

Oh, man!! Rascal made the best pea soup I have ever had in my whole life at the Weenie Roast last year. I'ma gonna PM her to get her tail over here and share her recipe. She puts a dollop of cream cheese in the middle of each bowl, too! I'd never heard of that!

Lol, glad that you enjoyed it belle.

It isn`t hard or anything that requires great precision in the preperation.

Usually I like to use a ham bone with lots of meat left on it, but any ham will do.

I put on a couple of packages of split peas on to boil and then turn them down to simmer, (keep an eye on your water level) while they are heating up I cut up a couple of carrots or just dump a bag of baby carrots in....cube the ham, I cut up half an onion and if I have any...maybe a little celery.

I place all of these in the pot and add anywhere from 3 to 6 chicken boullion cubes, cover and let simmer for two or three hours, stirring occasionally untill the peas and ham are soft.

When the soup is nice and thick, I dish it up and add a spoonfull of cream cheese. That is the secret ingrediant that makes it taste oh so good.

Be carefull though, the cream cheese is addicting and soup will not ever taste right again without it lol.

You can use a crock pot or a soup pot on the stove, for big crowds like at the weinie roast, I used an electric roaster and doubled the recipe, you can half it for a smaller family.

Man, that sounds really good now, I wonder if I have any split peas...hmmmm

Edited by rascal

i am a grandfather and this is my grand father's resipe it's been around for a while

2 cups split peas

5 cups ghicken broth

5 cups water

1/2 cup of hacked up celery

1/4 cup of hacked up carrots

1 large ham hock

1 clove garlic

2 bay leaves

1 tbsp Worchester sauce

1 tsp Tabasco sauce

salt and freshly ground pepper

to taste

fresh chopped parsley and hugs and kisses as a garnish

mop

wash,soak and rinse peas{overnite} Heat the stock and water in a large pot,then add the peas and ham,bring to a gentle boil and cook for one or two hours. remove the hock or left over ham cut off the bone and hack into bite sized piecesand set aside returning the bone back to the pot.

addall ingredence except saly pepper and parsely.

then cook for one more hour. Discard bone {or give it to Fido}

Puree soup to desired consistancy {not to smooth}

return to stove add ham correct seasonings and garnish with a dollop of sour cream and parsely and hugs and kisses

I always put in a ham bone I've saved in the freezer for the soup. I like potato in mine, too. I think good pea soup can be beat - even my super pickey 5 year old will eat it - and that kid won't touch a green M&M for fear it's a veggie!

About an hour before it's time to serve it, I cut any meat that's left off the bone.

I also add a tiny bit of sugar to the soup - especially if it caught on the bottom (scorched) a little - it's a soup that will do that quite easily if you're not paying attention.

The other thing...

I make a big, fat corn bread and serve it hot. Yes, I make mine with sugar - in the south, I know that corn bread isn't made with sugar - I didn't care for it. I like mine a little sweet. Makes up for not putting sugar in my tea! LOL!

Oh my, I LOVE brussel sprouts. Never had a bad one. And no matter how you cook 'em, they turn out just fine.

I think my final turning away from pea soup was when I was driving through the central valley in California on a particularly hot and uncomfortable day. All along the roadside there where billboards advertising "Pederson's Restaurant" and their famous split pea soup. I dunno, but the idea of eating hot, split pea soup on such a gawdawful, hot and icky day, well, it just pushed me over the edge. Split pea soup?

Ugh...

George, I think you're confusing pea soup with brussel sprouts. :nono5:

Brussel sprouts = bad

Pea Soup = good

:biglaugh: :lol: LMAO!!!

Belle --

We have a saying in our house that's started since Andreas came on the scene and started discovering what's good...

It goes like this:

____________ --- still GOOD!

We'll fill in the blank with things like:

Bosco and milk --- still good!

'Aple syrup -- still good. ('Aple is how Kristopher says "maple")

Bananas on a fork --- still good.

Your post reminded me of that...

• 1 year later...