GreaseSpot Cafe

Candy

Psalm 71 one

I love making truffles!! People think I did soooooo much work, but they're not hard at all!

The simplist recipe I've used is melted chocolate, heavy cream, and more melted choclote or cocoa powder/powdered sugar, crushed nuts, or whatever else you want to roll the truffle mix (or "ganash") in.

TRUFFLES

12 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup heavy cream

Melt chocolate chips, (You can process the chocolate in the blender to make it melt faster, if you want)

Stir in the cream, and chill--maybe an hour or two. KEEP THE HEAT ON LOW WHEN MELTING! Roll filling into 1 inch balls and dip in melted chocolate, or powdered sugar or finely chopped nuts, or crumbled Pecan Sandies (cookies)

You can add various types of liquers for flavoring, also. About 2-3 Tbls. I've used creme de menthe, creme de cacao, amaretto, kalhua-- you can possibly use those coffee flavoring syrups, also. Or some instant coffee crystals.

Get the chocolate wafers you can get at cake decorating stores. You DON'T have to add wax or anything to the chocolate! Drizzle a bit of white chocolate on the tops for decoration.

I've made these as Christmas gifts for a few years. And discovered some people don't really appreciate them! :blink: They might like chocolate, but they don't want a box of 'em!! Too many calories, too much fat, etc! :asdf:

I finally stopped making these or other special cookies as gifts--just make enough for my own family and maybe to serve to company, occasionally. (Bummer, I like to make homemade goodies!)

Mebbe I'll make some to fling here!

Or maybe I'll just put em on a plate and you can eat 'em or throw 'em as you see fit! LOL!

Belle, I understand! One year, rather than dipping them, I painted little paper candy cups (a bit smaller than mini muffin cups) with the dipping chocolate and then put the filler in, then "closed" the top with more dipping chocolate. I found it easier (sorta) than dipping, because you can make up the cups ahead of time, and kind of break up the job. (Dipping is easy enough, it's just time consuming)

Being a cookie exchange, you might want to keep the flavoring to no more than 3 choices--and make the outside of each different--I discovered in my gift boxes, it was better to keep the choices limited, cuz ya want to give a decent amount of each kind, and it can get expensive. (Still worth it!)

Dontcha hate it at those cookie exchanges, tho, when someone brings plain ole sugar cookies? LOL!!

Excellent Butter Toffee

1 lb. butter…..not margarine

2 c. sugar

2 c. chopped pecans….. put thru blender to chop very fine

1 T. vinegar

12- Hershey bars…..or 2- 7oz. bars (the giant ones)

Melt butter…add sugar and stir constantly. When sugar is dissolved add vinegar. Boil over medium heat until ‘CANDY Thermometer’ reaches 300 degrees F. Stir entire time it is cooking or it will burn. Pour on wax paper lined cookie sheets (with sides) and spread in a thin layer. Let cool. Melt chocolate in microwave. Spread over cooled toffee. Sprinkle nuts on top. Let cool completely, several hours until chocolate is dried. Break into bite size pieces. Store in air-tight container.

***Please note: this recipe will not turn out if a candy thermometer is not used. The temperature has to reach 300 exactly.

Enjoy! And watch your waistline grow! Delicious!

Mmmm....Dooj, I can't do anything that requires that much precise-ness. :redface2: I'm very ADD in the kitchen, though I love to be there. In fact, when I bought my house it has one of those fancy shmancy smooth top ovens and I could tell right away it would be trouble for me....they don't want you to let anything boil over on those darn things. :o

Psalmie, I think I'll do the little cup thing. That sounds quicker and less likely I'll screw it up. :P

The first year I went I was to tickled to finally be invited and, having never been to one before, I wanted to make a good impression. I made a different kind of cookie for every dozen I was supposed to bring. :redface2: Just told them I had "Cookie ADD". Last year went much better and I'm sure to really surprise them this year with your recipe. :love3: Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Am I gonna have fun with these, thanks for the recipes.

• 2 weeks later...

EIGHTEEN DOZEN COOKIES!!! :o

I've got to make EIGHTEEN DOZEN COOKIES for the cookie swap!!! :blink:

Psalmie, I owe you BIG TIME!!! Not only am I gonna have the purtiest and tastiest cookies this year, but also the easiest!! :biglaugh:

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!!!

Belle, I wanna come help you!! We'd have a blast, I'm ADD too!! We could run off on all sorts of "rabbit trails"--and yak yak yak and make truffles!! LOL! But ya can't mess up too badly on these-- they're very forgiving! (Just keep the heat on low when ya melt the chips. I prefer the stovetop over the microwave--seems I get a bit of a crystally type texture when I use the microwave. I've been practicing on tiny batches)

You will get so many people raving over them! Have fun at your exchange!!

I'm actually making all my cookies this weekend--getting some help from my 9 yr old, Ben :) But wouldn't it be fun to do some of this stuff together?--with several GS-ers? Could ya imagine Rascal's crowd in on this? wouldn't that be a blast?

My family in MI gets togther and they all make their Christmas treats together. My oldest sister is the

"home-ec" teacher in her Jr high school, and gets the kitchen classroom. So each of my family members brings the stuff they are gonna make and share the three--or four? kitchens in the classroom, and make their stuff and yak and hang out. The little ones play and taste test! LOL! I've never gotten to go, cuz I make my visits in the summertimes. <_<

Anyway, have fun!!!!!

Edited by Psalm 71 one

(((((PSALMIE)))))

I am Miss Popularity today!! :biglaugh: I made a "test" batch last night to bring to the guinea pigs I work with and they are all coming by asking if there are any more left and the folks who missed out are whining because they heard they are so good. :love3:

I used the little cups like you recommended and put a pinch of coconut left over from my sweet potato casserole supply at Thanksgiving. Put sprinkles on the top and - voila' - purty and delish.

I'll be rolling up my sleeves for the long haul tonight, but am so excited now that I know I can actually make them correctly. :redface2:

I do so wish you were here to make 'em with me. And kids - sigh - kids make it a bazillion times more fun! Rascal's tribe would definitely make for a delightful day in the kitchen.

I LOVE your family tradition!! That sounds so much fun! I may suggest that at our gathering this year! The families are so big that we play "Dirty Santa" with Christmas ornaments, but getting together to bake, decorate and just enjoy each others' company would be even better. It sort of reminds me of all the great times shelling peas, canning fresh veggies, making fig preserves and jams with my grandmother and all the ladies in the family as I was growing up.

Wanted to let you know how much I appreciate your recipe and ideas! :love3: Thank you!!!

DOOJ, I found my food thermometer, so I'm going to attempt to make your toffee to take on the road with me and to leave for the hostesses with the mostesses on my trip. :)

((((((((((((Belle))))))))))))) backatcha!

I hope it would work out for your family to do the Christmas baking--maybe you can find a church or school that would allow ya all to use their kitchens. I wanna be part of your family! All the memories you share about your family makes me want to know them! A lot of your memories sound similar to mine. ('cept we also had a lot dysfunctional junk too :( )

But we did the shelling peas and canning stuff, and fun Christmas gift exchange games!! LOL!!! (I've been even more sentimental than usual lately)

My 9 yr old and I made a gingerbread house tonight!! We had a blast!!!

Sounds like you've made some beautiful candies! LOL about the Miss Popularity! I KNOW they were goood!!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used this recipe last year to make up gifts for people. Some had coffee essence and other flavorings (non-alcoholic).

Rolled some in a mix of cocoa powder, some in cocoa powder and icing sugar, and others in chocolate sprinkles. I presented them in 1-doz egg boxes which I spray painted gold.

They are so rich that smaller was better.