GreaseSpot Cafe

Shooting Stars

Belle

Leonid Meteor Shower

Dunno about y'all, but I will be stargazing with thankfulness this week-end in preparation for the first feast of the holidays. :dance: At least, I hope I will. First I have to find out if I'll be able to see them and then where I can go so that city lights don't ruin the view. Pity that's getting harder and harder to find these days.

I hate 'em Belle. Ever think about what something the size of a dust spec will do to a spacecraft when it colldes at 100,000 miles an hour? Lot's of satellites get put into "safe mode" during this time.

I understand what you're saying, RR, but don't we, the human race, leave more "galactic trash" than what naturally occurs? :wink2:

This is a phenomenal event that doesn't happen on a regular basis. It's not just every night that we can observe so many "shooting stars", much less comets. Think of all the "wishes" we'd be missing out on if they didn't occur. ^_^

I think it's beautiful and love watching them. I was even more fascinated to learn that we can actually HEAR them. I only wish it was easier to escape "city lights and sounds" and that I had paid more attention during science and astronomy classes when I was growing up. I suspect you could really enlighten us in some areas, RR. :love3:

Edited by Belle

Sorry 'bout your satellites, RR, but I love meteor showers, too.

Best place I've ever watched them was on a little island in the middle of Lake Erie, away from all the city lights. It was like fireworks! I didn't hear 'em, though, Belle. What do they sound like? :)

I think we leave more "galastic trash" in many ways. We invade some territories and then think they have invaded us when they don't comply to us encrouching upon them. Stuff like this makes me sad in a way. Science is great...to a degree....but overtakes in many ways and then thinks it's the good guy. RR and I will have a total diff opinion on this.... but he's the scientific logical space intelligent person and I am the down to earth, logical, sensitive one that doesn't like being encrouched. (Know I'll get blasted for THAT)

Belle,

Come and visit me in Arizona. I live in the high country of Arizona. The stars are plenty, and here is the first place I ever saw the Milky Way.

Notta --- cool.

Just a short drive up up the North Shore of Lake Superior affords me the same view.

City lights??? What city lights????

:)

Notta and David, I'm so jealous! I remember when I was growing up sitting outside with my Daddy and he'd point out the Milky Way to me. We'd look for shooting stars and even see them sometimes. The best was when there would also be swarms of lightning bugs around us, too.

Notta, I would LOVE to come visit you! Meteor shower or not! :biglaugh:

Linda, I haven't heard them on my own, but when I was looking at all the information MSN has on the upcoming shower, they talked about how to listen to them. They have some clips at Listen to the Leonids. It just sounded like static to me, but apparently the scientists don't think so. ^_^

Belle-Keep us updated on the best time to observe the meteor shower. I would love to get a peak at it. For any who want to know more about celestial stuff you can find classes on them at your local boater associations. We go out sailing into Lake Ontario in the summer and watch them at night. Anyone is welcome to visit and take it in.

I just had to laugh at the "encroaching upon them" (the meteors and other celestial entities) line.

I mean, here we are, human beings occupying a planet about 8,000 miles in diameter, and the meteors occupy, what, ... the rest of space? Which is what, ohhh, infinity in measurement? :unsure: So we're 'encroaching' on them by sending up satellites? :biglaugh:

Not to worry, folks. The meteors are gonna still be raining upon this earth for millions and millions of years to come. I do agree with the point about the 'light pollution', tho'. Blocks out w-a-y too much of what we could see of the stars and stuff. <_<