GreaseSpot Cafe

Quiverfull

Hmmmmm, Mark, I've been trying to think of how to combat that Biblically and this is what I come up with which isn't very much at all.

If they believe in administrations, then what they are citing is not "to" us - it's to a previous administration where, similar to the settlement farms, more children WERE a blessing because, as Bramble said, they were FREE LABOR. It was a necessity of the times - that's no longer a primary need in our culture. (Besides that, look at how bloody that time was an all the decrees to kill the first born or all the children of an area)

And what do they make of Ecc 6:3 -

A man might have a hundred children and live to be very old. But if he finds no satisfaction in life and in the end does not even get a decent burial, I say he would have been better off born dead. (New Living Translation © 1996 Tyndale Charitable Trust)

A man may have a hundred children and live many years; yet no matter how long he lives, if he cannot enjoy his prosperity and does not receive proper burial, I say that a stillborn child is better off than he. (New International Version © 1973, 1978, 1984 International Bible Society)

What IF having a hundred children is the reason for not being able to enjoy his prosperity?

Luke 14 talks about giving everything up to follow Jesus, including mother, father, children, etc. He also talks about counting the cost before taking on something important. Would that not include the size of one's family?

1 Cor 4 talks about us not judging anyone. Which always brings us, especially former TWIts, to the ever popular "who the he11 is any kind of 'church' or organized religion to tell us what to do and, furthermore, to claim THEY know what God would have us do?" ^_^

1 Tim 3:4-5 talks about a minister having to be able to rule well his own house, but doesn't talk about how large that "house" is.

Meister and I were DINKS and he had absolutely no plans to have any children whatsoever. I think partially selfish on his part, but also because TWI pretty much taught that the mom had to stay at home instead of letting the 'egg sucking world' raise our family. There was no way we could afford for me to be a stay at home mom, so HE just decided 'no kids' - nevermind what WE had decided BEFORE WE got married. :(

Now, I guess I'm glad we didn't because it would have been an ugly custody battle, not to mention he wouldn't be able to provide much child support being a HQ security guard. I sure don't know how single moms do it these days, but I've been thinking about it seriously when I turn 40 if there's no hope on the horizon.

Edited by Belle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TheEvan,

They are using the bible to promote their own agenda.

Perhaps that's not controlling to some.

But some believe the bible is their rule book.

The bible does not say to have large families and whatever they are saying it says.

It's their interpretation only, I don't think they know what be fruitful and multiply means.

It's forcing their interpretation onto people instead of leaving them alone and letting them decide for themselves.

I suppose that one could just stay away from this group.

Mark,

You want a biblical argument when there isn't one.

On either side of the issue.

With few exceptions, I think that a couple who intentionally remain childless (emphasis on the word intentionally) have some serious problems with themselves.

I think couples who remain intentionally childless are very wise to recognize they do not want children. It would be a disservice to the children and society to have them, when they aren't wanted.

And, as has been said before, the families with, intentionally, two, or especially one child are, again with some notable exceptions, do their children no favors. While, again in the norm, the children have their material needs taken care of, the children really don't get the opportunity to learn at a young age to deal in a societal situation. We hear about children becoming more and more overweight and out-of-shape today. I wonder if the studies showing this compare how many of these children come from only child or two child families vice large families?

As a parent who intentionally only had two children (the reason I only have two children is because I did not want three), I think I would be doing my two children no favors if I had more. I recognized my limit and stopped when I reached it. While I admire those who can successfully raise larger families, I do not believe I am one of them.

However, my children have had and continue to have plenty of opportunities to learn how to deal with societal situations via interaction with each other, their cousins, their playmates and via school, sporting activities, cub scouts, etc. In addition, they are not only NOT over weight or out of shape, but they are physically stronger than many of their peers. The latter I attribute in large part to genetics, but also to the fact that they are kept physically active.

The inability to handle social or societal issues is probably due in large part to the lack of proper parental oversight. Lack of proper parental oversight usually stems from one or more of several factors: a) laziness; b) lack of parenting skills; c) two parents working long hours to pay for expensive cars, homes, and toys; d) poverty and/or lack of high wage paying skills which result in the need for both parents to work; and e) single parent homes with little or no child support leaving the single parent with no choice but to work long hours to make ends meet. None of those issues would be solved by having a larger family. In fact, having a larger family would likely intensify them.

Likewise, childhood obesity is not due to family size but poor diet and too much time in front of video games and computers - again something that would not be corrected by having more children.

Edited by Abigail

OK ,I'll admit I haven't done my "biblical" homework on this issue. I do know,however, that the scientific community has done countless studies comparing how "only" children measure up to those of multiple sibling families. The results are surprising. "Only" children seem to adjust to society every bit as well as those with multiple siblings. Many times the "only " child is more adept at spending time alone, without a need to depend on siblings for interaction. This quality continues into adulthood. Much of what a child learns about social interactions comes by virtue of interacting with peers moreso than with siblings. Long story made short: It is a myth that "only" children are somehow socialogically handicapped . They can grow up to be every bit as well adjusted as children from large families. Extracurricular activities such as sports, drama club,church choir,etc. are important because they serve as a sort of series of lessons on how to fit into social settings and society in general.

am i allowed to talk on here without a bible

i come from a family of 9 children

irish catholic surprise surprise

rhythm method didn't work i guess

my father didn't give one rat's ..... about my mother

or how he would (ha ha ha ha ha ha) support us

too busy beating us up

so what is godly or biblical about this ?

I shouldn't have started the thread at all.

Apologies to all. I had no idea that I would strike so many nerves with this. I thought it would have just been an interesting theological discussion. Sort of like the Trinity, Are the Dead Alive Now, etc. Didn't know so many would take it personally.

I do sincerely apologize to all for my behavior on this thread.

It won't be repeated.

Edited by markomalley

Excathedra------So sorry to hear about your childhood experience. It would seem that,due to your circumstances, your brothers and sisters were not only your siblings but your peers as well.

The only conclusion I have been able to draw from this thread is that quantity is not neccessarily relevent to qualityand every situation presents its' own set of deciding values and factors.

Mark-------If there was no relevence to your original post it surely wouldn't have hit so many nerves and provoked such lively discourse. My mother is one of 15 siblings so this thread caught my eye.

Thank you for presenting this subject for consideration.

Mark, I wasn't offended, I was simply offering a different perspective.

Judaism also teaches "be fruitful and multiply." It is a mitzvoh to have children. However, I believe that if, when, and how many children a person has is an indiviual and couples choice, not a religious one. Loving God, desiring to be Godly, does not automatically equate with good parenting or with the ability to raise large numbers of children. Likewise, lacking parenting skills or a lack of desire to be a parent, or lacking the ability to raise a large number of children does not make one ungodly or lacking in a love for God.

I can't argue it Biblically because it isn't there in plain black and white, chapter and verse statements. However, it seems to me that simple common sense says if you cannot feed the children you have, having more is wrong. If you have no desire to have children, then having them simply because one believes it is God's will is wrong - it has to be the individuals and couples will too.

Edited by Abigail

Well, speaking as the mother of a large family of children, I am at a loss as to understand what they are being denied.

We believed the scripture that said that they were a blessing, that a quiver full was good.

Yeah sure, when they were young there wasn`t enough money for the elaborate chuckie cheese birthday parties, but we found other meaningfull ways to celebrate.

No they couldn`t all have ballet lessons, but the could and did participate on ball teams and theatre.

For the most part they adore each other, and are responsible, kind individuals. They learned at a very early age to think outside of their own selvs and consider the needs of others.

My nieces and nephews on the other hand who DID have every advantage from being raised as a single child or with one sybling with all of the advantages...they had EVERYTHING money could buy....but can be the most creepy, disrespectfull little snot you would ever want to meet.

One was already in trouble with the law before she was 13 for theft and stealing a car.

Mine have all of the latest toys and gadjets, but not because we can afford to buy them, but because each of them works very hard to earn the money that they save to get what they want.

They have motor cycles, go carts, a jet ski, horses, exotic pets.

I don`t think that you can claim that a child from a large family is at any more of a dissadvantage than one from a small one... that one way is any better than the other.

I have found that each has it`s own unique advantages and draw backs.....either way I don`t think that there is a right or wrong.

I think if people want to have a large family and work to meet the needs of their family, no problem.When it becomes a 'doctrine' of how to be godly, and taught from the pulpit by authority figures, the it becomes not so much a personal lifestyle choice. Some people will submit themselves to that doctrine, believing what they are taught, even though they may not have the talents or resources for raising a large family.That's where you find families where women feel trapped, where no one really has enough--enough sleep or food or money or patience or attention. And that's some of what I saw growing up.

Mark, I think it's a very interesting discussion. And interesting perspectives presented here. It seems that only one person has really gotten bent out of shape for some reason. <_<

Dancing, why does there have to be a position? Why does it matter what one's position is? It's a topic for discussion. Did you even read his first post?? :unsure:

If I just wanted to get a batch of rolled eyes and random expressions of disapproval, I'd post this in "Open." But I'm posting it in Doctrinal. Why, you may ask?

Because I'm curious...for those of you who are Christian but who believe that it is OK to limit family size (through natural or artificial birth control), what kind of a Biblical argument would you use to show these folks that it's perfectly OK to limit your family size...not that there's anything wrong with them choosing to have a big family, but that it's Biblically OK to keep a small family size, as well...

Thought it might make a good discussion topic...

Mark DID post what he thought about the subject: Post 18

If you disagree with his point of view then speak to that point. Attacks aren't necessary.

I like Bramble's post that it should be a personal lifestyle choice and not some legalistic standard enforced by a church. BUT, as The Evan said earlier, these folks are willingly members of the group so they probably don't see it that way...like we didn't, at one time, see the legalism in TWI. :wink2: I do hope that they can provide the love, attention, basic needs and whatnot required to raise a large family. I know I couldn't. I wonder sometimes if I would have the patience, mentality and fortitude required to raise ONE happy, healthy child. :confused:

I can attest to the fact that Rascal's family is absolutely delightful and those kids get along marvelously. I hate to leave them when I do get to spend time with them.

I suspect Galen's family is much the same way. How many kids have you raised, Galen? I don't remember off the top of my head, but that it is a lot. :)

Edited by Belle

Folks, I appreciate the words of support.

But the point is that there were SO MANY people with whom this struck a nerve. Not just Clay. When one personalizes a theoretical argument and say that the general principle must be good or bad because of personal experience, it becomes difficult to argue that general point one way or the other. Because if you advance a philosophical point that is contrary to the anecdotal, experiential point raised by the other poster, it may be perceived that you are attacking that poster and that poster's experience. And so there is a high possibility of a fundamental discontinuity in the argument that would create a dissonance that could result in nothing but hurt feelings.

So that's why I said I regretted opening up this topic. It appears to me that several folks, although perhaps more tactful than Clay, were responding on this anecdotal/experiential level, rather than on a philosophical level, to one degree or another. Engaging in a Biblical discussion is essentially a philosophical discussion, after all.

Face it, the question of having children, not having children, having one child, having a bunch of children, and so on...if one really examines the question, it really deals with fundamental questions of ontology (the study of existance). It alludes to the questions of "What is my place in the universe?" and "Why am I here?"

• If one answers the question with either "there is no fundamental answer...I just am," or (not and, but or) "I am here to gain as many material possessions and be as successful in the eyes of the world as possible," one will definitely have one set of answers to the question on how one should reproduce.
  • If one answers the question with "to populate the world (universe) and subdue it," one will have a radically different answer to the question.
  • If one answers the question with "to know God, to love God, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in the next..." (sound familar, anybody?), one will have, again, a different set of answers.
  • Or any other permutation of the answer...the point is the answer to the fundamental question is the antecedent to the question of children...at least on a philosophical basis

The topic of children, fundamental purposes, etc., is a good study and would make for an engaging philosophical discussion. Frankly, it may cause some folks to think a bit deeper about their own lives than they have in the past (not any "Doctrinal" participants, who, for the most part are very deep thinkers, anyway, but referring primarily to lurkers on this forum). The application of the philosophy: what impact does a societal philosophy have on that society...is also engaging, is also interesting.

Waysider brought up an interesting point about the application of a trend: the socialization of one child. Although no actual references were cited, the claim that empirical studies have been conducted is an interesting one. I'd be interested in discussing that (if I could actually see some of these studies) to see the actual conclusions to the studies, assuming that they are truly longitudinal studies where valid comparisons can be made. (The reason being is to see if the number of children is truly coincidental to their socialization abilities or if mitigating actions were taken to counteract negative effects...thus neutralizing negative effects) But, again, then we get into the subject of anecdotal experience versus philosophy...would others interject their valid, but anecdotal, experiences into the mix?

Again, though, I didn't realize that the subject, brought up in this fashion, would hit so many hot buttons with people. The purpose was not to tweak peoples' buttons. That's why I apologized for starting the topic...and the apology still stands.

So now you take this as a chance to attack me?

Nice move slick.

And what is wrong with being direct and to the point?

Some call it whatever.

I call it straight to the point.

Bramble said it well also.

You guys think I'm upset or whatever,

I'm calling it like I see it.

First Mark, you wanted a biblical argument,

now you call it a philosophical point.

And you think you are pushing buttons.

I guess as you see it you are.

But that isn't what's happening here.

Edited by dancing

Mark, I think it could still be a valid and interesting discussion. I don't see how drawing from personal experience and/or refuting or discussing personal experience has to turn into button pushing or fighting. It all depends on how it is presented. I drew on personal experience. Ask me questions, challenge me. I don't mind. And even if I did get a bit hot under the collar about something, it will pass and is no big thing.

I find this: Face it, the question of having children, not having children, having one child, having a bunch of children, and so on...if one really examines the question, it really deals with fundamental questions of ontology (the study of existance). It alludes to the questions of "What is my place in the universe?" and "Why am I here?"

especially interesting. I was thinking about this very thing while I was driving. I was considering what my life would be like right now if I didn't have children. The money I would have, the freedom to come and go as I please, the reduced stress because I wouldn't be faced with the many challenges parents face today. I was also thinking about how empty and void of purpose my life would feel. How all that "stuff" that I would have would mean nothing in the grander scheme of things. Of the little things kids say and do that are such a tremendous reward for the effort put forth in raising them.

Here's a bit more of the anecdotal, Mark, from a worldview quite different from the West. I wonder if it couldn't shed some light on biblical perspectives?

I'm speaking of the East African cultures I've experiences firsthand. As regards to having children, the various tribes with whom I've stayed seem to have a common general approach.

The overriding principle is community/village first, and family in context of that community. They see marriages in light of what they contribute to the community and as such the leaders and elders have a say in such matters. Producing children is paramount to a marriage union there. You'll not see divorce for any reason except not bearing children. There, the a#1 reason for a marriage union is to produce children. #2 is probably to insure that those children are productive memebrs of the community. I'm not sure if happiness figures into the mix.

To take our Western worldview of personal choice and self-fulfillment and attempt to apply it to biblical concepts causes a dissonance not easily remedied.