GreaseSpot Cafe

Finale 2005

GeorgeStGeorge

A couple of years ago, my wife and kids bought me a copy of Finale 2005 composition software. I had no trouble last year (other than just getting the hang of a new program) using it to write a march (full band score). Now that I've gotten the pre-work done (plinking out the melodies on a keyboard, choosing a good key for band), I've tried to generate the score for a new march. It starts out okay, but by the time I've written about 150 notes (including cutting and pasting some lines), the system slows down A LOT. Every note entry takes about two minutes (if it doesn't hang up altogether). I haven't been able even to finish the four-bar introduction! :realmad:

I've used the online help, but they haven't been able to help. I sent copies of the file I had started, and they said they were "corrupted." I've uninstalled and reinstalled the program from the original disk, but I still get only so far before the system slows down again. I notice that when it's "thinking," CPU usage shoots up to about 100%.

My wife and I have added several programs since last year, but none of them are running when I use Finale, and I have about 66 gigabytes free space on the hard drive. My system has 256 megabyte RAM, so there should be plenty of capacity to run Finale.

If I can't get this worked out, I'll probably have to go back to hand-writing my marches.

Please HELP! :asdf:

George

My system has 256 megabyte RAM, so there should be plenty of capacity to run Finale.

That's your problem. All your symptoms point to it also. You're running out of memory.

256MB is barely enough for Windows to run efficiently after it's been on a PC for a year and all the other software that likes to run in the background after installing. Windows will try to fake additional memory by treating some of the hard drive as memory, but for something that needs real memory to function properly, it just doesn't work and anything can happen, including corrupted files.

Try upping it to 512. 1GB is better.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got another 256 M of RAM, defragged my hard drive and did a disk clean up. Finale still behaves the same way. I tried to uninstall and reinstall it, but when I ran the uninstall I got a message saying that "unvise32.exe" could not be found. Could the disk cleanup or defrag have removed the file? There is one called "unvise32.exe-39CCB77B.pf" in a "Prefetch" folder, but Windows doesn't know how to open it.

Is there a way to uninstall Finale without going through Start>Programs>Finale2005>Remove Finale 2005. Or, if I try to install it from the CD, will the program automatically remove all the old files before reinstalling?

George

P.S. You guys seem more knowledgable than the Finale help desk, and your turnaround time is much quicker!

Tom,

That's one way to do it. :)

The disk cleanup probably deleted the files you're looking for. I've never trusted that little utility, and have never used it.

The prefetch folder is used by windows to pre-load programs it thinks you will be using, in order to speed up the load time. Anything in there you can actually delete and not harm anything (and probably speed up your computer since it isn't loading programs you're not actually using). See Gaining Speed: Empty Prefetch on your XP System

The unvise32-* file in there is probably useless.

I would put your Finale 2005 CD in and run the install from it. It should know if it's installed or not, and how to deal with it and should have all the files it needs on the CD.

No. Even if that is the only place it dropped files, which is highly doubtful, the registry is still littered with entries from it. And I don't recommend you try to manually remove the registry entries, unless you're prepared to rebuild your PC from scratch. :)

George --

I looked up some info about your software.

Here's the requirements:

MakeMusic! Finale 2005 Hybrid Specifications:

* Finale 2005 for Windows

Windows 98/2000/ME/XP. Import and export of EPS files supported under Windows 98, and ME only.

* CD-ROM drive.

* 800x600 minimum monitor resolution.

* 256MB RAM recommended (128 MB may be sufficient in older operating systems).

* 200MB hard drive space required for software

* and user manual.

Finale 2005 for Macintosh

G4 or higher recommended. OS 10.2 and higher.

* CD-ROM drive

* 800x600 minimum monitor resolution

* 256MB RAM recommended.

* 200MB hard drive space required for software

* and user manual

Optional

MIDI interface

* MIDI input and/or playback device

* Printer

* Scanner

* Microphone required for use of Finale Performance Assessment (except when using MIDI keyboard) and MicNotator.

I found a review on Amazon where a user had a similar problem with the registry.

He reported that he had to reinstall it several times and the customer service sucked. :blink:

Deja vu?

I have Windows XP (home version). My motherboard is a few years old. One of the people in my fellowship builds and repairs computers, so he pulled my old memory card (PC 133, I believe) and added a second one that he had. My hard drive was replaced about a year ago; it has about 100 G, of which about 66 G is presently free.

Here's the deal: Finale ran fine last year, on the same system with 256 M RAM. None of my other programs are misbehaving; in fact, the extra 256 M RAM seems to have speeded things up (a little).

On my most recent grind to a halt, I copied the notes from the error report that Windows generates. Let me know if this means anything to you:

The "error signature" was

szAppName : FINALE.EXE szAppVer : 10.0.0.0 szModName : hungapp

szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

The files involved were

C:\DOCUME~1\George\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6133.dir00\FINALE.EXE.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\George\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6133.dir00\appcompat.txt

I'm going to send this off to the Finale help desk, too; but they only work weekdays 8-5. Greasespot is 24/7!

George