GreaseSpot Cafe

Ornament Collecters

WhiteDove

I know there are a few here that collect Ornaments it's too late for this year but I wondered how many would be interested in starting a GreaseSpot ornament tree. I found a company that will produce custom pieces at a reasonable price we could include the GreaseSpot logo (if Mr. Paw does not mind) on one side and a design on the other each year. I would be in favour of donations going toward running this site if it works out.

Before my sisterdove Dovey passed away we exchanged some doves to start a dove tree for her. This year I have 30 G. Duchin Brass Doves dated 2006 that I would like to send off to the first 30 to email me this year. I would like to send these out in memory of Dovey ,Pat Roberge, Jim Doop and other Greasespoters that we have lost along the way.

Enclosed is a picture email me if you would like one and I'll get it out.

post-1237-1166079300_thumb.jpg

Edited by WhiteDove

What a great idea, WD!

I know I'd buy one or three! :biglaugh:

I have a cousin who collects the annual Disney ornaments, so each year it is my duty to trek down to the mousetrap and pick it up for her.

My favorite aunt who died this year always bought the fancy-schmancy ornament of the year from Dillards for our "Dirty Santa" ornament game we play. Everyone always fought over her ornament. I'm happy to have won a couple now that she's no long here.

P.S. And no Psalmie we are not doing pigs!

801.jpg

And yer gettin no piggie from me this year cause you have been nothin but bad to me all year.

If yer lucky I'll send you a cherry pie ornament just to remind you of what's headed your way. Of course I'll wait till you got yer new Christmas clothes on before I drop the real pie off ..... MMM I love cherry glaze on my ham.

When I first moved down here to Orlando I didn't have two pennies to rub together.

Since I couldn't afford one, my office gave me the Christmas tree from the office when we closed for the holidays. I didn't even have a stand for it, so we leaned it against the wall in the corner and wrapped a raggedy red towel around the bottom.

I couldn't afford ornaments, so a co-worker loaned me her glue gun, one string of lights and gave me some red ribbon.

My second job was working at Church Street Station and we got substantial discounts on food, so my buddies there and I feasted on an all you can eat scallops dinner for about $5/each and I saved every single one of the scallop shells. I cleaned them and then hot glued ribbons on them to decorate my tree.

I "splurged" and bought two sand dollar ornaments and two starfish ornaments and a dozen really cheap golden bells.

My little Charlie Brown "Florida Style" tree is still the most beautiful one in my memories of being in Orlando. I saved those ornaments and still hang a couple of scallop shells with my sand dollars, starfish and bells in memory of that first year and how thankful I am for my life and the folks in it.

It's nice to be able to have those kinds of precious memories hanging on my tree again now that TWI isn't monitoring my CHRISTMAS. :biglaugh:

I think that's a great idea. And I agree about the proceeds too.

When we sold the big house we gave the sentimental stuff to our children. While we don't put up an actual tree anymore, there's a knot in my heart when I go to their homes around the holidays and see the things I considered precious, still being honored on their trees.

['scuze me now - I'm leaking .....]

Edited by krysilis

Hey Belle pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain. Sometimes the best ornaments are not the most expensive. I have several that my grandmother crocheaed. When I was little in school onr year we made these papers oragami stars and coated them with wax and glitter. My mom used to hang that thing on the tree every year, I used to beg her not to ruin the tree with it, we had so many nice ornaments it just did not fit. But she would put it up each year because it reminded her of me, now I have it to remind me of her,it's come full circle and I understand after all those years why she put it there every year.

As styles of decorations have changed through the years we often find ourselves longing for the Christmas tree of our childhood. Each decoration had meaning and was cherished.

likeaneagle What a kind offer I'd be proud to hang it on a tree, but I would want your family to have it first if anyone wanted it. Ornaments should stay in the family if possible I think.

Edited by WhiteDove

Theme trees are fun to do like Belle's Florida tree. Of course you need room for all these trees. :biglaugh:

I'd love to do a Greasespot Diner Tree I see it as a fifties, diner, soda fountain,kinda place with coffee cups, and soda glasses,hot dogs and hamburgers, french fries and blue plate specials. and toys from the era like roller skates and saddle shoes and slinkies and hulla hoops of course the Lone Ranger and Tonto would be there and Lucy on the retro TV console and little glass coke bottles. Here are some ornaments I would include.

post-1237-1166193529_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1166193571_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1166194280_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1166194324_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1166194234_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1166194685_thumb.jpg

And this one for my sisterdove........... a doxie in a retro crate.

post-1237-1166194369_thumb.jpg

And these for a couple of posters we know..............

post-1237-1166195066_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1166195163_thumb.jpg

Edited by WhiteDove