GreaseSpot Cafe

Slave Labor

Hope R.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an aspect of the work we did that I think is noteworthy.

When we worked in the garden or "manna" food co-op in Fellowlaborers, we all knew that it was we, ourselves, who would benefit from our labor.

Much of what we ate came as a result of the work we put into those two efforts.

No "weeding of the chard"= No salad at the next weeks' supper table.

We were the recipients of the product of our efforts.

In that scenario, at least, there was a tangible benefit that was obvious to the participants.

There were, of course, other projects that made no sense whatsoever. These are the efforts that are more difficult to understand in any sort of large scope. Am I correct to think that it is these efforts that are the focus of this thread?

Just askin'.

I had a forty hour a week job and I got out about 4:00pm. I then left for the leaders house and would work there till 11 or 12 almost every night. I did their ABS reports, cleaning, preparing meals, and babysitting.

When I was in-residence I was in class and work all day and then the leadership would call me out of bed at 11 so I could come to their apartment and give the person a foot massage and a back rub. This person was pregnant and expected everyone to do absolutely everything for her. I wouldn't get home until 2:00am and have to report to the kitchen at 4:00am. My roomates would tell her that I had a 4:00 kitchen shift, but she didn't care. Finally my roomates quit answering the phone and just let it ring. She was veryyyyyyyyyy displeased.